Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

mzguy
Apprentice

@HWAM wrote:
@rudiklein I know all brands can create bugs. But I am not able to repair the R7000. Even a full reset and flash the oldest firmware wasn't fixing the issue. I guess the problem firmwares broke my router.

Did you try 1.0.7.10_1.2.3? It appears to be working for some time for two other users.

Message 26 of 897
rudiklein
Star

@HWAM You know what is really annoying. KPN, my TV/Phone provider in the Netherlands shipped me a new settop box, including a new modem to "improve" my Netflix experience (which was fine btw). After the replacement of their router, no incoming traffic was flowing, port forwarding seemed to be screwed up.

Stupid me decided to install the latest Netgear firmware on my second router because of security issues being mentioned.

So now I have 2 routers with issues (they are back-to-back connected, KNP uses fixed 192 addresses and we use 193. And their routers are crap, so I just use it as a modem.). This makes it very difficult to troubleshoot the port forwarding issue if you don't know which router is causing it.

So that's a BIG improvement Smiley Very Happy

I wish you Merry Christmas while I have a working network, I don't know what tomorrow will bring! (Merry Christmas  also to the Netgear developers who are working day and night to fix this issue, I assume....right....RIGHT?)

Message 27 of 897
rudiklein
Star

@mzguy Thanks for the tip, but I'll wait just a bit for Netgear to come up with a final solution. If it takes too long I'll try .3.

Rudi

Message 28 of 897
Eliasz
Guide

Downgraded FW to R7000-V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 hope to keep my router stable.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 29 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@mzguy wrote:

@HWAM wrote:
@rudiklein I know all brands can create bugs. But I am not able to repair the R7000. Even a full reset and flash the oldest firmware wasn't fixing the issue. I guess the problem firmwares broke my router.

Did you try 1.0.7.10_1.2.3? It appears to be working for some time for two other users.

I tried anything. Also 1.0.7.10_1.2.3. I think my router is ruined by a recent firmware. I don't know if this is possible but I really don't understand it anymore. I work in the ICT and I can't explain this. I'm done with Netgear. I ordered a Linksys WRT1900ACS.

Message 30 of 897
Volstate
Apprentice

I received a replacement router last Saturday after having all these same issues with dropping like everyone else.  I intentionally DID NOT update the firmware when I received it to see if there were any drops in 24 hrs...there were none.

I then upgraded the router directly to the .18 firmware to test it out and in 3 days time I have had zero drops, resets, nothing.  Router is running very well.   I have Port forwarding on and I'm running both 2.4 GHZ & 5 GHZ together and both have the same password.

When I shipped my old router back to Netgear I used the same box that it came in when I purchased it 7 months ago. I compared the production numbers and noticed the last 3 numbers are different so I wondered if this router was produced later and possibly the earlier produced router came from a defective batch?  Maybe not...I'm just brainstorming.

I also wondered if possibly the firmware that caused this initially begin somehow destroyed the router beyond repair.  It's just odd I get a router with stock firmware and go directly to this firmware on a new router and I have zero issues but others with this router using the same firmware are still having the same issue.  So either the routers hardware is bad from the factory or a previous firmware version has screwed the routers up.  I don't see how you could draaw any other conclusion from this mess.

Message 31 of 897
Eliasz
Guide

I have downgraded my router FW to V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 and after about 6 hours 2.4G went down again and I'm unable to login to http://routerlogin.net/start.htm as well. WHAT is happening guys?

Message 32 of 897
alexchoi
Tutor

After update to 1.0.9.16, all my android phones lose internet connection, They still could connect to wifi thought. Wifi on computers seems working fine.

Message 33 of 897

Same thing happening here  Thank you all for the work and posts. Hope Netgear will have a fix soon, but might have to order a Linksys WRT1900ACS myself.... 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 34 of 897
Laudek
Star

So that experiment lasted somewhere between 14 and 24 hours.  Last night ( 2017-12-18 10:10 PM) I posted what I did and seemed to have a stable connection so went to sleep.  This morning booted up my son's all-in-one and not only did it have wifi the printer was connected.  All good I thought as I went to work.

Got gome late tonight (around 9:30pm) and booted up my son's all-in one pc.  Not interenet connection.  Booted up my wired desktop and noticed while it had a connection, the printer wifi connection had been dropped.  Meaning instability returned to my Nighthawk that is a bit over 3 years old.    

Did factory reset and restored my settings automatically as it was rebooting and updating to the current firmware.  That gave me stability that lasted about 15 minutes before my wired computer informed me it lost connection to the wireless printer.  Went into router settings and realized I had enabled the Smart Connect.  Disabled that feature and resaved my settings.  Did another hard factory reset and this time went into the router settings while still in factory settings. Restored my backed up settings via the advanced menu.  Verified Smart Connect is off.  Have communication with wireless printer via the wired and wireless PCs.  Other devices seem to be functioning normally.  QoS was never enabled.  

Will monitor situation.  If instability returns my only option is to flash back to version 9.10 or 9.12.  If those no longer work then I will be shopping for an updated router during the post-Christmas sales.   

Message 35 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

When people say "no connection" what is it you see? No link at all? A link but no IP address/internet access?
Message 36 of 897
shamarin
Virtuoso

Make an option to setup auto channel select for 5 GHz band, because some devices with Atheros/Qualcomm wi-fi chipsets coudn't connect with 802.11ac and drops to 802.11n speed if in router 5 GHz channel is not setup to auto select. On 2.4 GHz channel selection by default is setuped to auto select.

Message 37 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

Did the update about 2 hours ago.  Worked immediately.  Printer back up and connected.  Smart home back up and communicating.  Someone asked what it looks like when you are not connected.  Wireless icon shows full bars, a check in Genie tells you everything looks good.  Yet, nothing is communicating.  When I did this upgrade, I did not factory reset.  I was about to when I realized the new FW was released.  But, I have had this working in the past, but then devices start falling off.  I, like so many others, have no time for this.  Especially if you have a business that depends on this connection.  If they start to fall off again, I will have to make a decision...deal with tech support phone calls and nonsense, or go out and get another router.  

Message 38 of 897
chopin70
Virtuoso

Please keep thread clean from "I am going to Linksys and such"

Personally, I left Linksys and they were, for my last 2 routers much more pain in the ass than Netgear. Since they were  sold to Belkin, the quality and support dropped completely.

Just give details and let's wait Netgear fixes it

Message 39 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

2.4GHz Problems mean:
The 2.4GHz devices still reply on a ping!! And they have full wifi coverage. Retrieving a web console of an ip cam is not possible. And smartphones don't have internet. Looks like an intrusion detection system or firewall is blocking the traffic, sometimes temporarily, more than half an hour or so. But I am not waiting that long if I am able to reset the router. I did it a few times and the traffic came back again.
Message 40 of 897
Jazzpr
Apprentice

@JamesGL wrote:

Please post here for any update/issue related to the latest firmware 1.0.9.18. 

@JamesGL : At first, only the 2.4G was the problem, but now with this latest firmware, all my wireless connections seems to be affected.

Message 41 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

HWAM,

Thanks for providing more details. It is very interesting to me to learn some information about what the problem looks like because it helps narrow down the scope, and maybe it will help Netgear figure it out eventually.

You say devices respond to ping but you can't connect to an IP cam. So I am thinking if they respond to ping they have an IP lease, so maybe DHCP service is working okay. Next, how are you addressing the IP cam? Is it by internal (lan range) IP address, or is it by a DNS name? Also, does that cam have services on both port 80 (http) and 443 (https)? Can you putty raw connect to port 80 okay? I am wondering if some filtering/parental control on the router is kicking in when it shouldn't be. If you connect in and don't send the request URL then it shouldn't block I would imagine. It would be interesting to know if you can connect to it over it at all.

I feel like NG should be asking more questions here. How do they plan to fix it otherwise?
Message 42 of 897
shamarin
Virtuoso

This new firmware is with serios bug. My STB couldn't boot now if i reboot it. After some period of time STB showing that "Server error. Authorisation couldn't be done". It's due to that STB couldn't get connection to ISP server (URL) that loads IPTV services and STB UI for working of IPTV and thus authorisation checks fail also too. And if IPTV services allready are booted normally VOD service is not working, if i try to play VOD video there is no stream and immideatly TV stream stops and there is no picture till i switch to another channel. With previous firmware version 1.0.9.14 it's ok. My ISP provider is Rostelecom.

Message 43 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@Diggie3 I allready posted this information on more discussions and I already have a case with a NETGEAR L2 Support Expert. I don't know if they understand what I'm saying or maybe they don't read my messages and posts at all.

This is what I told the support expert a few days ago:

"I'm able to take over my raspberry pi remotely and I can see exactly what's going on. I have a script running which tell me when 2.4GHz is down again. It reads my ip cam every 10 minutes. Error -> message to my smartphone. I can reset the router from the raspberry pi. I have the full linux desktop from the pi. I can see that all 2.4GHz devices are down from the netgear console via google chrome on the pi. All 5GHz still work. I can still ping the 2.4GHz devices and they reply on a ping. They have full wifi connectivity but data connection is not possible. After a while it starts communicating again. Maybe something stops the data traffic."

During the problem period I cannot open a web console of an ip cam (fixed ip in cam and reservation in netgear). Also using Android Tinycam remotely doesn't show the 2.4GHz wifi cam. My other wired cams are fine. All 2.4GHz devices are not communicating anymore, only reply on ping. All Android smartphones have full wifi (full bars). I guess 2.4 traffic is blocked. Connecting to the guest 2.4GHz is not possible at that moment. 5GHz is fine.

Do you want to know more?

Message 44 of 897
jmarinuk
Aspirant

I've only just bought my R7000 a week ago and have had nothing but problems with the 2.4GHz connections.  I was shocked to read how many others have been having this exact issue for so long.  This new update does not fix the issue at all.

Message 45 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Be smart, return it.
Message 46 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Unbelievable, answer from NETGEAR L2 Support Expert:

I recognize what a displeasure this can be and it saddens me deeply we are unable to assist you properly with your problem. We are very much eager to have this case resolve with your great cooperation, however, we do respect your decision and we hope that in the future we could regain your trust and confidence in our products and give us the opportunity to give you the quality service that you deserve. 

Regards, 

Glendill 
Expert ID: 8304 
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert

Message 47 of 897
mrobbeloth
Initiate

James,

This router was rock solid for me until the v1.09 firmware update. I now regularly lose all 2.4Ghz connected devices, but 5Ghz devices are fine. It requires a router reboot to restore. Time to failure of the devices appears random, I don't think it is occuring at DHCP lease renewal. I wish I could just migrate all my devices over to 5GHz and be done with it, but I have security cameras and a few other devices that only support on the 2.4 GHz band. Given my occassional travel, I have been forced to enable remote access just to reboot the router, which I hate doing as it opens another vector for attack by an adversary.

After clearing the logs and waiting (is NTP not setting the router date/time correctly), I see the following (MAC addresses are scrubbed):

[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.13, Friday, Dec 08,2017 11:35:22
[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [192.168.1.130], Friday, Dec 08,2017 11:30:13
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.28)] to MAC address zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz, Friday, Dec 08,2017 11:29:38
[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [192.168.1.130], Friday, Dec 08,2017 11:25:43

Obvisouly, this is a false positive; otherwise, I would most likely not be to post this. 

If I had more time right now, I would just try to an open-source firmware, but I don't. I'm going to try the AC3200 when it arrives and see what happens. I don't see community postings complaining about lost connections with firmware updates on the AC3200. I'm not happy about purchasing a new router just to work around a dev team's bug. 

Michael Robbeloth

Message 48 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

Just an update.  Been running about 12 hours now.  Still good connection with all devices.  I will continue to work all devices to see if they fail.  I am currently monitoring all devices connected to the 2.4 side.  I am on FW .18.  

Message 49 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Yep, same for me. Yesterday I had problems. It can be stable for 24 hours but sooner or later you will get problems again.
Message 50 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7