Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

r7000_nooby
Aspirant

I tried to get firmware 1.0.9.18 last night ( after an automatic shutdown problem).

The download went quick, the install went quick, BUT it hung up on the REBOOTING. The crawl line was completely filled, but the darned thing never completed a REBOOT after D/L and Install.

Message 226 of 897
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

Speed are good. 50M down and 16M up on a 50M service. (Speettest on native Android)

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 227 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

I'm giving .20 another try. Speeds improved. I remembered that after reboot I've always required a sort of ramp-up period over a few minutes, before speeds were good. I have not cancelled my Eero order, given that others haven't had luck with .20. If it's flawless over the course of a week and Netgear chimes in, I'll reconsider. Otherwise, my R7000 will likely be demoted to a switch.

Message 228 of 897
Wrocky
Guide

Time to move on. 

I've tried every available f/w version from every source in the last 2 weeks with this router and the longest it has been up was about 2 days.  That was the absolute best and only happened once.  Most times it would only last 4 or 5 hours. I can't afford the downtime, the beta testing time and I'm appalled by the complete lack of support from Netgear to acknowledge or repair this issue.   

I really hope the issue gets solved so that I can flash it to something stable and sell it.  Myself, I've moved on to another vendor's product and have no intentions of purchasing something from or promoting Netgear as a company. 

Good Luck all. 

Message 229 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

I agree.  My group of tech friends (probably 8 of us) have all purchased the R7000.  I've convinced 5 or 6 other people to purchase it and recommended it to a couple dozen others.  I have one friend who just purchased the latest Nighthawk last week.  I'm resisting the urge to tell him to return it and go with another manufacturer.

I get that the R7000, especially in my case, is several years old.  But Netgear seems to have broken our devices.  I cannot be loyal to a company that doesn't appear to be loyal to their customers.  I'll be watching for deals on the Asus AC3100/RT-AC88U.  If Netgear makes everything right, I'll stay with them.  If the a deal for the Asus presents itself first, they'll have gained a customer.

So disappointed in Netgear.

Message 230 of 897
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

All issues you have raised are gathered and has been reported. This includes the version 1.0.9.20. I will provide an update with this issue. 

Message 231 of 897
antinode
Guru

> [...] This includes the version 1.0.9.20. [...]

Might it be time to unpin the announcement of "New: R7000 Firmware
Version 1.0.9.12"?:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1391950

One might reasonably think that any pinned topic with "new" in its
title, and which has been up for, say, six months, might be due for
retirement.  Just a thought.

> I will provide an update with this issue.

Do you intend to provide any more information than the
always-information-free firmware Release Notes?

Message 232 of 897
JamesGL
Master

Hi antinode,

Thank you for that. I will unpin the said topic. The update I will provide is regarding the issue raised using the latest firmware. The release notes focused on the security issues that has been reported which NETGEAR wanted to address right away.

Message 233 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

Regarding security, please also alert the developers that:

- There is a topic here claiming the VPN service uses an MD5-based cert. That is, honestly, attrocious if it's true.

- There is still no button in the admin console to generate a new VPN key (replace the old one). This is also super bad.

Please stop ignoring security issues.
Message 234 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@JamesGL

When is this update coming? It would be helpful to many to have something really quickly, since more than a month has passed.
Message 235 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

With all due respect, we are way beyond security issues. Netgear broke our routers. How about we seriously address that issue first. I feel like we are just about to get the diversion answer to the last month and a half of useless firmware updates. Now, how about a serious answer....
Message 236 of 897
NukeJr
Guide

Pass thru Bandwidth speeds is limited to 25Mbs. 200+ straight connect. Disable QoS and pass thru nears 200. Reenable = ~25-50Mbs on manual and back to <25Mbs on Dynamic.

Disabling QoS makes gaming latency imposible. "Teleporting" FPS; and "Strict" or "Moderate" NAT at best. 

My latency is erratic and rarely below 80ms. This further wrecks havoc on gaming. Some of it is Spectrum sourced (technician to come tomorrow) but numbers are worse through router. Latency numbers were mimicked prior new firmware. 

This all started when I upgraded firmware to V1.0.9.18_1.2.27 yesterday. I had no problem with old firmware that was over a year old. I should have noted which release it was so I could revert to it. 

Message 237 of 897
NukeJr
Guide

After reading many of the posts in conjunction with my own experience and posts on other sites. I believe I will forego any futher investment in NetGear products. Complaints are numerous and varied and appreciable response has been lukewarm and infrequent. I will be shelving or discarding all my suspect NG equipment. Simply donating them to someone would be giving them a unnecessary frustration. 

Thank you NetGear but I think we should see other routers. Good luck but lose my number.

Message 238 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

I received this from Jamesgl last night...

Hi AtoZ, Please provide me the following information. I will endorse you to support team. Name: Phone number: Email Address: Best time to contact: Timezone Regards,   JamesGL Community Team

Just a question or two to everyone on this board...has anyone been helped by calling tech support about this issue?!  Have they even acknowledged this issue in the last month and a half?!  If I am wrong about this, I will get on hold with India or wherever, right now, but I don't think I am.  Hey netgear, FIX IT!  We didn't cause this, you did!

Message 239 of 897
shamarin
Virtuoso

I didn't get it now. But my issue is not releated to Wi-Fi and began only after lealising of version 1.0.9.18. I think we will get it after new year holidays.

Message 240 of 897
shamarin
Virtuoso

Thus i'm the choosen one too, because i wrote to JamesGL in private message and get the same in answer.

Message 241 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

He also reached out to me in a PM.  I'd recommend responding to him the same way, since these posts are crawled by Google et al.  Hopefully this means Netgear is getting nervous that loyal customers are jumping ship and possibly (probably) telling friends/co-workers/relatives/etc not to buy the products.

Message 242 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

Use Twitter and voice your concern/anger.  I think it's time to make this more visible.

#NetgearNighthawk

Message 243 of 897
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

Folks, my final update.  6 days on the .20 Hot Fix and stable with good speeds.  New lease last night and the router resovled correctly. Not errors in the logs.

Good luck all.

Message 244 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@AtoZ I got mail too, at least a week ago. I also have a case. Both worth nothing. I just received an answer about the case. Which FW version I was running?? What a question!! I tested all versions. Nothing is stable anymore.
Message 245 of 897
volvogirl
Tutor

Just found this thread.  I guess I got caught in this too.  I started another post here, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/AC1900-R7000-no-internet-email-ok/td-p/14688...   But I was  having trouble posting and my replies didn't show up. 

Back on 12/3 I had updated router to FW 1.0.9.12_1.2.23  and I think I must have said yes to do automactic updates which I don't usually do. It crashed a few days before Christmas.   So I don't know what version it had when it crashed or was trying to update to.  BUT anyway on my own,  I did a RESET with a paper clip and went though some set up steps and now it's working ok so far on my wired PC and our iPads.  It found an update but I declined it.  I'm scared to update.  So I am at 1.0.9.12 and it found 1.0.9.18_1.2.27.  Holding steady so far.  

Another question,  how come a lot of times when I log into the router it says another device is already logged in?  What's that all about?

Message 246 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@brdoddsjr wrote:

Folks, my final update.  6 days on the .20 Hot Fix and stable with good speeds.  New lease last night and the router resovled correctly. Not errors in the logs.

Good luck all.

My attempt with .20 failed this morning. I've seen one other report of failure that I can recall, and yours is the only success. I would beware if I were you - this firmware / problem must be fragile. If yours doesn't break in the coming days, perhaps some change to your network or device behavior will likely break it in the future. Until Netgear acknowledges the issue, communicates its cause, and points to a fix, no one should assume it's fixed.

Message 247 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Yeah, how difficult is it to tell us what is going on. I already told a few times, bugs can happen, no problem. But admit and fix it. This should be something to be proud at. Admit a failure. No, keeping it quiet and as it never happens. What a wrong thing to do!! If you want to loose customers just go on like this. Do not communicate!!! Never communicate!!!
Message 248 of 897
Stale
Aspirant

Seconded, and I've been wondering about this myself. There's a small subset of users claiming that .20 works well for them, though in my own experience I upgraded to every stop of 1.0.9.x (From memory, .6, .12, .14 & .18). All of them behaved fine, maybe with a device reboot here and there because a minimal issue (ie, a device that strangely can't get to the internet).

I ended up running 1.0.9.18 for some time as well, maybe a week or two, and it ran decently; up until the moment that it lost it's damn mind. Once the problem triggered, getting ANYTHING to connect reliably to 2.4Ghz was impossible, even after a reboot.

So I'm curious as to how many people running on 1.0.9.20 simply haven't had the issue fully trigger yet...

Message 249 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

I am running since christmas night, but had to unplug everything last night to move my office around. I am no longer a good judge of how long it lasts. Im sure unplugging the router basically reset the clock on .20.
Message 250 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7