Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

brdoddsjr
Apprentice

Believe me, I expected problems.  The reason I was chiming in was becasue my experiance was so different.  I put my config info out there to help.  My router settings are box standard, but my 2.4 wifi devices should be a nightmare.  I have printers. laptops, phones, alarm comnponents and tons of different IoT device on the 2.4 radio.  I felt like if anyone would have problems with 2.4 wifi stability it would have been my environment.  And, I have an early version of the R7000.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 251 of 897
NukeJr
Guide

Because they are focusing on the mesh technologies. Mesh equals more potential customers. "Old Skool" routers will be relegated to power users, gamers, and small business. We is be da lo prioritays!

Message 252 of 897
NukeJr
Guide

"...a lot of times when I log into the router it says another device is already logged in?  What's that all about?"

I get that too. Spies?

Message 253 of 897
Stale
Aspirant

I've never seen that on my router before. I'd make sure remote administration is disabled and possibly change the password. I know there's a number of different bot networks over the past 12 months that have targetted routers, maybe related?

Message 254 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

It just remember other console sessions from other devices. Maybe genie on your smartphone. Nothing to worry about.
Message 255 of 897
QneelaEbfr
Aspirant

My issue is the same as so many I see on here.  A firmware upgrade just prior to 1.0.9.18 crippled my 2.4GHz connections.  I moved up to .18 since it seemed to come out so quickly after - with no success.  As soon as my Harmony Hub stops responding to voice commands from Alexa I know it is time to reboot the router.  With so many people posting about this issue I'm baffled why it hasn't been fixed yet.  Additionally, I can see forum posts from 2015 referencing this same issue so it clearly isn't new.  Screen shot shows active devices after 2.4GHz craps out.

Message 256 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

Do you have a Guest Wireless set up on 2.4GHz?  If so, try disabling it.  That's not a resolution, but it has made many of our devices usable again.

Message 257 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

So, update to my earlier post.  Since talking with Netgear Support, my router hung.  Not just 2.4GHz .. but 5GHz too.  That's the first time that happened.

I've disabled my Guest Wireless 2.4GHz again.  If the router hangs again, I'll roll back the other changes Netgear made (see my earlier post).

They did follow up with me after the call (but before the router hung).  I don't know how dedicated they are to fixing the problem, but right now it looks like they are putting the resources in to investigating.

Message 258 of 897
QneelaEbfr
Aspirant

I will disable guest wireless (argh) and report.  Thank you.

Message 259 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

Don't get your hopes up. I ran without guest wireless on .18 firmware for a while, and it didn't help.

Message 260 of 897
Laudek
Star

Hi all

Looks like I am out.

Opened the door today to accept a delivery.  Discovered it was a new tri band router from a different company.  Seems my wife had enough of me spending 30-40 minutes a night for the past month or so trying to stabilize our wifi and ordered it the moment after Christmas online sales began.  

So packed up the Netgear running 9.20 and launched the new router. Though all the experimentation on the 2.4 Ghz band and me trying to have our printer work seems to have buggered up the printer.  Had to wipe it off the main computer and reinstall it.   All is stable for about 5 hours now, including the printer.

Good luck.

Message 261 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

Agreed. Guest wireless has no effect.
Message 262 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@ laudek. Awesome. Thanks for hanging in with us. Im jealous. Your wife rocks!
Message 263 of 897
NukeJr
Guide

Problem Solved!!!

Bought Linksys WRT 3200 ACM. Pricematched Amazon at Best Buy. Came out $20 more than the R7000 and a million curses less in frustration. I am done with NG. Sorry guys but had to abandon ship. I am going to shoot the R7000 with my new Glock tomorrow.

Message 264 of 897
tulong
Guide

I finally had to flash their router with Tomato open source firmware. So far no drop and the transfer rate on 2.4Ghz has improved greatly. 5Ghz transfer rate is just a little bit better. The range has definitely improve big time. I can go anywhere up stair without getting disconnect as it's used to be. Will see how it goes. At least now the connection is pretty stable. I was thinking the same thing about getting me a Linksys WRT 3200 ACM if it shows sign of problem again.
P/S I have said last time that it's my last post here, but just figure it would helps folks here to get the router working again so here I'm. I'll post my final post here in a week on the result and that will be the last.
Message 265 of 897
cfields82
Guide

Just found this thread.. Glad it's not just me..

So it's been over a month now and I've tried numerous firmware updates, settings, reboots. I've switched everything I could over to 5ghz but still have a few things that can only run on 2.4ghz.. Is this issue ever going to be officially addressed, or even fixed? Or do I need to make the switch to something better? I'm already in one expensive router and also your extender so I would rather see it get fixed than buy new stuff.

Message 266 of 897
tulong
Guide

I used Wi-Fi sweet spot and Wi-Fi speed app to test. My result is as follows:
1. When I was about 30Ft away from the router:
- 2.4Ghz speed was 300Mbps
- 5Ghz speed was 569Mbps
2. When I was upstairs which was about 60Ft away from the router and inside a room at the end of the second floor:
- 2.4Ghz speed was 78Mbps
- 5Ghz speed was 218Mbps
The thing that's worth to mention here is there was no drop on either channels when I was upstairs and my sons were happy with the speed. There was no lag when they were playing games.
In the past, the minute I got upstairs, my 5Ghz connection dropped immediately. Even when I was downstairs and close to the router, my 5Ghz connection kept dropping as well.
I would be a happy camper if thing stays this way, but still will never by Netgear products due to lack of customer support ---> no respect for their customers
Message 267 of 897
ddurig
Guide

I was able to go about 2.5 days without issues on the hotfix before having to reboot. I have rebooted twice now. Figured I would try enabling QOS to see if that helped. The router ran a speed test which I never saw results for and then rebooted...strangely I can get to the internet now but both the web admin console and netgear genie no longer load. This could be it for me...
Message 268 of 897
bascaves
Apprentice

try putting your R7k in the microwave at full power. It either will boots your 2.4 Ghz for a moment or at least resolves the frustration forever R.I.P. 😉

Btw: don't try this at home but in your old shed, in case it gives you a one time fireworks to close off 2017.

I wish you all a great and less frustrating 2018 with a better and healthier router.

Message 269 of 897
Ceepeebee
Tutor

I just wanted to give you my view on your question.

I'm running .20 now as my router crapped out after the .14 upgrade. My 2.4ghz doesn't fail to connect, but it fails to get internet sometimes and , whilst that is resolved on .20, the speeds from certain Android-based devices on 2,.4ghz are atrocious....just really bad.

I've been running .20 since release and touch wood, ignoring 2.4ghz, the router is largely stable. However as I started typing this, (oh the irony) the router rebooted. Nothing in logs, no real reason, it just rebooted.

Other than that though it's honestly not too bad, but I'd prefr a proper fix to get more than 20Mbit on Android devices.

I've always had issues with NEtGear devices, however I have a marketing contact there and they are suggesting this is rather widespread , including other models.

Message 270 of 897
Ouin
Tutor

As version 1.0.9.20 didn't solved 2.4GHz drop, I decide to follow this procedure:
Reset R7000
Install 1.0.0.96 (original firmware)
Reset
Install V1.0.9.6_1.2.19
Reset
Setup my router
I will report about 2.4GHz stability.
I hope that Netgear will provide new working firmware ASAP. Otherwise I will return back my router and ask for pay back.
Message 271 of 897
kiotobg
Guide

First, make the firmware routers working! 100% working, not 10%!
Second, even cheap Chinese brands do not have such problems. Are not you ashamed?
Third, by fixing your first 2 things, then you start to do third! I mean this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Would-you-like-to-experience-the-new-NETGEAR...

Message 272 of 897
seventy
Aspirant

I am so disappointed with Netgear on this one.

I have been running an R7000 at home with no problems.  I just bought another one for my in-laws, then lost half a day trying to configure an Android device that just wouldn't work on either 2.4 or 5GHz.

Finally turning of Access Control solved it (thanks for the tip earlier in this thread).

Of course, I worked out afterwards the router had upgraded itself to  1.0.9.18 on first boot.  Thanks a lot Netgear.  I now have to leave the family with a wifi setup that could go unstable at any time.

Message 273 of 897
Firepsych
Aspirant

1.0.9.18 1.2.27 also giving me problems, not sure if it was dropping connections or the signal was too low to keep  all wifi items connected. Dropped back to 1.09.10  for now.  Do I need to do the hotfix security upgrade and will this  effect my connections? I have wemo, phillips hue, etc and when the router reboots I seem to have to reset all these devices.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 274 of 897
AaronB483
Aspirant

One thing that might help speed things along as far as Netgear is concerned, is for those ofyou who have bought this product on Amazon write a review that includes problems right now.

Not necessarily giving a bad review, but warn future buyers of the problem we're having right now.

Let them know it's a great machine but just hold off right now.

Message 275 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7