Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

Diggie3
Luminary

I too am likely to go back to 1.0.7.x today.

This is a total joke. Not only am I wasting my vacation troubleshooting my network, but also my home automation and security is also unreliable as a result.

It is amazing that NG still has no fix. This is so bad!
Message 301 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@Diggie3 It is useless to go back. I already tried that, no Netgear firmware can fix it. Install Advanced Tomato, it is great and has a lot of features Netgear doesn't have.
Message 302 of 897
SeanPGH
Aspirant

Solved: I have an AC2200 wireless extender. I needed to upgrade the firmware on it. It was causing my wireless router to choke and drop internet. Been 5 days with no drop.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 303 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@SeanPGH Ooh yes we all have to update other devices in the network, it is not the fault of any new Netgear R7000 firmware or the R7000 itself. Sorry for my reaction but I hope it is solved for you. My trust is zero. It can be stable for a few days but 2.4GHz will stop after a while, believe me. What a coincidence we all have the same problem at the same time and Netgear is working 24/7 to generate betas. They know they did something wrong.
Message 304 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

Has Advanced Tomato fixed the KRACK vulnerability?  I can't find anything verifying a patch.

Message 305 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@brianhelman I don't think so but I really don't care. What do you want? A stable router or resetting the thing every time. How big is the chance you will be hacked? I guess the chance you win the lottery is much bigger, even if you never play.
Message 306 of 897
Rikardo007
Tutor

I've had my R7000 for a couple years (can't recall when I bought it but I think it's been a couple years). I updated the firmware when I initially set it up. Ever since then I didn't bother doing any updates as it was just working fine.

So had some downtime for Christmas and did the update to 1.0.9.18 on Dec 29th. Didn't think anything of it, and had no idea there was a major issue. I didn't make note of the firmare I had prior to the update.I did not do a master reset afterwards.

Then my Brother wireless printer dropped offline (on 2.4Ghz). I rebooted the R7000 and it eventually came back. Later disappeared again. Rebooted router again. Printer back online. Later noticed that my Nexus Player which automatically likes connecting to 5Ghz is saying no internet. Rebooted router and printer connected again, and internet on 5Ghz is back. Watched a movie no probs and went to bed.

Next morning checked printer and it was still online. But my Nexus player and iPads which were on 5Ghz can't connect. Tried changing channels (from 153 to 161) no change. Reboot fixes the connectivity.

So It's odd. I am having the opposite issue to many of you. My 2.4Ghz seems stable for the past few days after the initial couple reboots. However my 5Ghz keeps dropping internet connection. I can connect to it, but the internet is dropped. I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks running and both also have Guest networks so 4 networks total. All have separate SSIDs.

I have not tried the hot fix (1.0.9.20) as I don't know what more damage it will do.

Message 307 of 897
vincentw56
Tutor

@Yann7878 wrote:

@Stooby2 wrote:

@Stooby2 wrote:

Just rolled back to 1.0.9.12 1.2.23, which was the version I was on before this debacle started. Everything was stable then, so I'll see what happens now. Enabled 5ghz and my guest channel as before.

Well that didn't work. I can't be bothered with this anymore, taken the router out and running the Virgin Superhub again for now. I'll look into returning the router as it's less than a year old.

Moving back to 1.0.7.10_1.2.3 solved completely the issue for me:

- no more disconnections on 2.4

- speed on wire moved from 95mbps to 350mbps

I did it 10 days ago and all problems disappeared.

Try and let me know.

Trying it now. Hopefully it works better.

Message 308 of 897
dristie
Tutor

Wow, I see nothing has changed since my post on Aug 23 when connections started dropping, when I updated to firmware version 1.0.9.6.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-6-now-available...

We are 5 months further now. Shame on you Netgear!

Still running rock solid on V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 since Augustus..

After subscribing to this topic and reading almost all of these posts, I definitively do not consider trying to upgrade at all.

So Netgear, hopefully you have a change log. Something has been change after V1.0.7.12_1.2.5, because this version is the last stable version!

So fix it!

Message 309 of 897
Ceepeebee
Tutor

Hello,

Are your don't you rolled back to 1.0.7.x and have just no issues since?
Message 310 of 897
NikZ
Aspirant

Yes i've downgraded to 1.07.x and everything is so far so good....

Message 311 of 897
TJsmudger
Aspirant

I too have upgraded my R7000 to the following firmware:  V1.0.9.18_1.2.27

My household is experiencing endless and very FRUSTRATING wifi dropouts after this update, where I need to either reboot the router {power off} OR by hitting the [Wireless Setup] page and select the 'Apply' button for existing configurations that are already set.

I have 2.4 & 5Ghz SSID wifi channels Enabled. Each have a different passwords assigned. Smart Connect is Disabled.

I have the Guest wifi networks enabled for each 2.4 & 5Ghz enabled, same password.

I have utilised the above configuration for several years.

It is my current opinion with information known at this stage, the latest firmware update is plagued with a bug that is resulting in the wifi behaving poorly and inconsistently.

Netgear, what level of testing is run before publishing a new firmware release? it appears that I'm not the only person to experience these disappointing outcomes.

Thank you

Tony

Message 312 of 897
gizhola
Aspirant

I've disabled my Guest network and it seems to have helped.

Message 313 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

Unfortunately, many of us have been here.  It doesn't usually work.  When you turn off the guest network it basically resets router as if you rebooted.  I hope it works for you.

Message 314 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

None of these helped me:
- Updating QOS database
- Making sure QOS was off
- Turning access control on or off
- Turning off guest Network
- Applying 1.0.9.20
Message 315 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

So, to state the obvious, there's nothing worse that inconsistent results that cannot be reliably duplicated.  In my case, turning off Guest WiFi has somewhat stabilized my WiFi.  I'm still experiencing sporadic slowness, but not 100% of the time.  I'm on 1.0.9.14.

I'm more inclined to replace the router with another manufacturer than put Advanced Tomato on my 7000.  I'm concerned that the hardware has been damaged.

Just to give everyone a bit of an update, Netgear Support did reach out to me.  Because of some confusion over which account I used to register my router there was some delay.  I have uploaded debug logs to the ticket, but that just happened today.  Hopefully they'll see something, but I'd expect another week or two before we see another release of any kind.

I'll be limping through usage until then or until I see the router I am monitoring go on sale.  I'd like to stay with Netgear, but this whole ordeal has made me question my loyalty.  If they manage to fix this before I see a sale, that would probably get me to stay.  There is a group of friends I see daily at work.  We all have the R7000.  We were closed for the last week, so we haven't discussed this issue for a couple weeks.  I'll be curious to see if they are also experiencing the issues.

While all of this has been frustrating, I can't help but see the irony that the very reason I bought and stayed with Netgear -- that they actually issue patches! -- is what has burned me.  I don't see me going to many of the consumer manufacturers because of their commoditizing of the product -- ignoring it once the sale has been made.

I'll send updates as I have them.  If anyone else has been contacted by Netgear support, I'd be curious where you stand.

Message 316 of 897
cfields82
Guide

Yup.. Seems like the only things that work so far are:

-Flash Firmware with Tomato

-Buy different brand router

Message 317 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

I put my R7000 back to 1.0.7.12_1.2.5. So far it's stable, but of course also very old and missing security updates.

What can I do though? It seems that the whole 1.0.9 series just has problem after problem.
Message 318 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

I have a support case. Completely useless!! They only ask stupid questions to keep me busy. I answer right away after I get the question but it takes days before they react again. They even told me that they can't help me. The support is one big joke. USELESS!!!!!
Message 319 of 897
solag
Aspirant

This is a total joke at this point.

Netgear is refusing to fix this issue. I mean I've tried all he different firmweares but the 2.4ghz issue still persists. I'm currently on firmware 1.0.9.20 beta and still no luck.

Does netgear know how frustrating it is to have to restart the router a couple of times a day just to get the 2.4ghz network to work?

This is disappointing since I've always used Netgear products for over many years.

I'm tired of this bull**bleep** for real.

Message 320 of 897

So I'm one of the "lucky" ones that the hot fix SEEMS to be working for. I've been on the hotfix for for at least a week now with no wifi drops. Now though I'm having weird issues with the port forwarding not working for some of my hard wired cameras. Normally I would try a reboot but I'm not having any other issues and am concerned the reboot might cause my wifi issues again.
One of the main reasons I haven't turned to tomatto or another firmware is because I REALLY like the circle parental controls.
Is there any third party firmware that anyone knows about that has as good or better parental controls? Thanks.

Settings
Hotfix firmware (.20?)
QOS :On
Access control:Off
Guest wifi : on, 2.4ghz only
Message 321 of 897
Djzgfx
Tutor

Advanced tomato has filtering which is similar to how circle works.
Message 322 of 897
DVS_Dee
Aspirant

Same issue as everyone else has mentioned with constant network dropouts since upgrading to 1.0.9.18. I'm able to temporarily fix it using Netgear genie, but the "fix" never really lasts. Where can I download the 1.0.9.20 firmware (although I'm not confident it will resolve the issue as I'm beginning to lose faith in Netgears ability to resolve it). I guess if that fails I'll try Tomato.

Message 323 of 897
DVS_Dee
Aspirant

Ignore my request, found it here.

Message 324 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

Update:

Mine has been fine for 2 days straight, a record. What did I do to fix it? Nothing! But the weather is a lot colder....

I do notice more need for reboots during the hours of the day when my heat is set higher, and at times when sun shines into the room with the router in it. 

I still think a viable explanation for this is not guest network on/off, luckly/unlucky, but rather damaged chips or radios that are now heat-sensitive to failure.  It also explains how sometimes the network drops happen after 20 minutes, and others have had it up for a week before failures started. Finally, it also explains why some are failing on DD-WRT.

I had an overclocked PC a while back that worked fine for years, then eventually hot to the point that it crashed the PC... only when the room got too hot.

Message 325 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7