Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

brianhelman
Apprentice

After rebooting my R7000 at least a dozen times yesterday, I downgraded to 1.0.7.12 .  That was around 10p EST.  It's now 4:30p EST and it's been stable.  I've been able to VPN to my router to check on IoT devices without issue.  I also ordered another router, from another manufacturer today.  My R7000 will get demoted to being an edge access point running Advanced Tomato.  Netgear has lost a customer and A LOT of recommendations.

If they manage to fix this, I'll consider putting stock code back on it, but in AP-only mode.  I don't see me using the unit as my primary router again.

Message 351 of 897
Firepsych
Aspirant

I've been running 1.0.7.10 for a few days now too, seems to be stable so far.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 352 of 897
Net-working
Guide

@Ceepeebee

Really alarm bells should ring when a manufacturer opens a community forum to get help with there products instead of asking you to contact their tech suoport
Message 353 of 897
lordbowl
Aspirant

@brianhelman wrote:

After rebooting my R7000 at least a dozen times yesterday, I downgraded to 1.0.7.12 .  That was around 10p EST.  It's now 4:30p EST and it's been stable.  I've been able to VPN to my router to check on IoT devices without issue.  I also ordered another router, from another manufacturer today.  My R7000 will get demoted to being an edge access point running Advanced Tomato.  Netgear has lost a customer and A LOT of recommendations.

If they manage to fix this, I'll consider putting stock code back on it, but in AP-only mode.  I don't see me using the unit as my primary router again.

brianhelman - when you downgraded to 1.0.7.12 did you simply perform a firmware update through the GUI, or did you also perform a factory reset?

If you did a factory reset, did you restore your settings by entering them manually, or by using a saved .cfg file?

thanks

Message 354 of 897
mhsu858
Guide

I followed one of the other thread's suggestion and it seems to have fixed the wifi connection dropping issue - "enable access control and allow any devices to connect".

My new question is why I never see 5G connections from my new devices such as pixel phones when using "smart connect" with single SSID for 2.4G and 5G?  

Message 355 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

@lordbowl (Aspirant)

I did not factory reset first. I figured I'd try the downgrade first, and reset if it didn't take. I'm at about 22 hours and everything is still responsive.
Message 356 of 897
lordbowl
Aspirant

Thanks @brianhelman - I've just downgraded to 1.0.7.12. Nothing else (no restoring saved .cfg, hard reset, etc.).

Will report back my results to everyone after a couple of days in case others wish to try the same.

My symptoms since the upgrade to 1.0.9.18 just over a week ago were occasional (once or twice daily) drop-outs on 2.4GHz band only. And unhappy family members at home trying to access the internet on 2.4GHz-only devices while I was a work 😉

Message 357 of 897
Bob254
Guide

Been watching this thread since firmware 1.0.9.18 was made public. I see a bunch of determined and knowledgeable customers performing the job of Netgear engineers. Kudos to you folks!

I am really shaken my confidence in the company's motives. First you come out with a "analytics gathering" firmware update that has dubious value and now this. I won't be upgrading to any new firmware. Probably ride it out until this router become a security liability and then jump ship. You do not put out firmware updates unless you have completed thorough in-house testing. To solicit feedback from customers after putting out buggy software just means you lack a robust QA process or, you downsized your QA dept. I paid good money for my R7000. It is a lot of money for me. I expect technical support in return, for the life of the product. Unless you come up with something fantastic, my R7000 will be my final Netgear purchase. Hope your managmeent and board of directors pay attention. My $0.02.

Message 358 of 897
droman
Admin

Latest update as of 5pm (Pacific time) January 3, 2018

We understand that some customer may be experiencing difficulty remaining connected to the 2.4GHz band of their R7000 router.  NETGEAR is aware some customers are experiencing this.  We are continuing to investigate this to determine causes and provide a solution.  However, from reviewing the information to date we have some general directions but need your assistance to find the absolute cause.  To that end, If you are experiencing this difficulty and are willing to work with NETGEAR to help troubleshoot the connection, we would like to work with you.

Should you want to help troubleshoot with NETGEAR, please be aware you may be required to load software (e.g. Teamviewer), spend an hour or so in front of your computer, as well as, provide various pieces of information such as configuration files, what you’ve done to date to resolve the issue, etc.

If you’re still interesting in working with us please private message the moderator as we’ll need to get your personal contact information.  If you prefer not to troubleshoot with us at the time, we will provide updates to this community conversation as they become available.

Thanks and we look forward to help resolving these difficulties for you and the entire NETGEAR community.

Thanks, Dave

Message 359 of 897
Bill_in_Lincoln
Aspirant

I am running 1.0.9.12. I never installed 1.0.9.18 but for several days experienced the same problems described in the thread. After numerous router reboots, I learned (thanks to another's earlier post) to "apply" in the wireless page settings. This would bring back the 2.4 access. I having been monitoring the thread, but for several days now the problem has stopped happening for me. I am going to keep monitoring the situation, but for now, I plan to leave things alone. No upgrade or downgrade. It certainly is odd behavior and makes me wonder if the log posts from others suggesting some sort of attack may have been the root cause. Thanks to everyone who has been sharing their experiences, suggestions, and knowledge.

Message 360 of 897
alexchoi
Tutor

I am using the 18 firmware. I don't have the 2.4G drop problem. My problem with android phones not getting internet has been fixed with activiating access control. But now I discover that my wifi speed getting very slow. Today, I run a speed check by connecting the router with my computer through a lan line, I was getting speed around 270Mbps download and upload. I turned on the computer's Wifi (computer is literally just 2 or 3 feet next to the router), 5G getting 30Mbps download, 10Mbps upload, 2.4G geeting 80Mbps upload and download. The speed is really horrible. Netgear should do something about it.

Message 361 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Thanks Dave. Finally communicating to the people. Please tell us more. Keep us informed. Does it has anything to do with the krack fix? Why is reflashing an old version not working for me?

He guys!!!! Did you see it?? Netgear is admitting there are problems and they need our help.
Message 362 of 897
bolmenroggan
Aspirant

Hi

Where do i find old firmware such as 1.0.7.12? Please help me.....

Message 363 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Message 364 of 897
bolmenroggan
Aspirant

Is anyone who has tested  v1.0.9.20 - HOT FIX?

Message 365 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@bolmenroggan Yes, read the posts. It is not solving the problem.
Message 366 of 897
bolmenroggan
Aspirant

@HWAM What the hell are they doing?

Message 367 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@bolmenroggan I hope they are working very hard to solve this problem. It already going public so to stop the negative news it is very important that they solve it. But maybe it's better to buy another brand. Unless you are very patient.
Message 368 of 897
bolmenroggan
Aspirant

@HWAM Or flashing advancedtomato firmware

Message 369 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@bolmenroggan I bought a new Linksys WRT1900ACS and flashed my R7000 with Advanced Tomato. I used the R7000 on the second floor now, as guest Router. Tomato is great, a lot of options and running very stable.
Message 370 of 897
bolmenroggan
Aspirant

@HWAM did you have problems with netger v1.0.7.12? I think i put the tomato in my R7000 also....

Message 371 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@bolmenroggan For me also old versions weren't stable anymore. I tried a lot of old versions which were stable in the past. I did a lot of resetting, software and hardware with button on the back. Nothing worked. Also with old firmwares 2.4GHz stopped working after a few hours or days. But I was still able to ping the devices. Communication wasn't possible. I needed a stable solution so I bought a new Linksys WRT1900ACS. I don't know what is going on but Netgear firmwares aren't stable anymore and Tomato is running fine.
Message 372 of 897
solag
Aspirant

@droman wrote:

Latest update as of 5pm (Pacific time) January 3, 2018

We understand that some customer may be experiencing difficulty remaining connected to the 2.4GHz band of their R7000 router.  NETGEAR is aware some customers are experiencing this.  We are continuing to investigate this to determine causes and provide a solution.  However, from reviewing the information to date we have some general directions but need your assistance to find the absolute cause.  To that end, If you are experiencing this difficulty and are willing to work with NETGEAR to help troubleshoot the connection, we would like to work with you.

Should you want to help troubleshoot with NETGEAR, please be aware you may be required to load software (e.g. Teamviewer), spend an hour or so in front of your computer, as well as, provide various pieces of information such as configuration files, what you’ve done to date to resolve the issue, etc.

If you’re still interesting in working with us please private message the moderator as we’ll need to get your personal contact information.  If you prefer not to troubleshoot with us at the time, we will provide updates to this community conversation as they become available.

Thanks and we look forward to help resolving these difficulties for you and the entire NETGEAR community.

Thanks, Dave

Per your last post, I'm willing to help triubleshoot as needed.

I believe all we want is a resolution to this issue.

I'm now on a 1.0.9.20 firmware which remained stable for 2 days before the 2.4ghz dropped again.

Message 373 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@HWAM. Yeah, gave up, bought a triband router yesterday (not netgear). After seeing the moderator post, i read between the lines. "Some" customers are having a problem. That means settle down, its not like everyone is. Also, them just acknowledging the problem after at least 2 months is ridiculous. Asking for help is a sure sign they dont know how they broke it, but it must be something the customer did. Been down this road too many times. And the cherry on the top was when we were told to call tech support a couple weeks ago so they can stall for more time and give us busy work to do. I hate games. No time. Told the boys at best buy to watch what they're selling. I wont look back. I feel good about changing. I'll take my chances with a new company, since i know how the current one runs things.
Message 374 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@AtoZ I totally agree with you. It is terrible how they act. A support case is useless. They only ask stupid questions and don't reply for days. I am going to make this public news. Please help with posting on Facebook for example. Good luck with the new router.
Message 375 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7