http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm

.... and your problems will be over

KRACK fixed

7E925EFE-1E6A-4BB6-B9F2-ACB4786616F3.png

Message 401 of 897
lsummers72
Guide

Re: R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

I upgraded to the new hotfix R7000-V1.0.9.20_1.2.28 and it's still acting up for me.  The odd thing is, this whole time I've been able to use RDP from outside the network to connect to a computer that's connected to the router via ethernet and another via wireless, but neither one will connect to the GUI via browser or any other website.  Would that make it a DNS issue?  It will allow incoming connections, but not outgoing ones and port forwarding still works.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 402 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

I thought it might be DNS as well, but wired devices work just fine:

2.4GHz Devices: If you're on a service, it continues to work (e.g accessing gmail).  If you try to access a new service (e.g www.yahoo.com) it will fail.  This feels like a DNS issue*.

5GHz Devices: Generall they would work fine, but lately they had the same issues as 2.4GHz

Both bands: If you detached from wireless, you couldn't re-attach.  Devices such as my google homes would go in to re-configure mode (advertising as AP's so you could attach directly to them to configure).

Wired: Worked fine.  I could still access the other wired devices on my network, but not my wireless ones.  Internet worked fine.  I could NOT connect to the GUI on the router (which also prevented me from getting the log/debug information).

*a DNS issue wouldn't prevent wireless devices from re/attaching to wireless.  With respect to wired devices, they wouldn't get DHCP addresses from the router.  I had to hard-code an IP to my laptop to test (including adding DNS information).

To me, it feels more like a DHCP issue.  It looks like the default lease is 65ish hours.  My current lease was obtained on 2 January at 22:41 and expires on 5 January at 15:28 .  DHCP will generally send a keep-alive at half the lease, to verify you're still there.  I'm wondering if something has happened that causes the leases to expire.  This still wouldn't prevent wireless devices from re-attaching though.  They don't even get to the lease reqest, as far as I can tell.

Message 403 of 897
Firepsych
Aspirant

Hmmm, some newbee questions, if I change firmware to  Advanced Tomato or the xwrt (that is the R7000 380.69 version) will I see changes (increase/decrease  in speed, signal strength,  etc). and I assume that I can switch back to netgear firmware if they get these problems sorted out?  I downgraded to 1.0.7.10 (most people went to .12 I see) and seems to be stable.  I had 1 problem with a wemo switch losing, then getting back a connection (not sure if it was 2.4 or 5).

Message 404 of 897
lsummers72
Guide

For me, the main wired device I have won't work after the wireless devices drop off.  It's still connected to the network as I can still use RDP with it, but I cannot access the internet from the device.  It's connected via a Powerline though, but I don't believe that should make a difference as it's still wired and not wireless.

Message 405 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

@lsummers72 when that happens, checked the dhcp lease.  Try giving yourself a hard-coded IP, including a DNS like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (both are google).  You'll still need to give it a default route (of your router).

Since my wired devices could work if I coded the IP info in and my wireless devices mostly continued to work, the router doesn't appear to be hung even when I cannot access the GUI.  There are times when the 5GHz still works, but not the 2.4GHz .. but again, I've seen instances where those devices - if they were ACTIVE at the time of the "drop - remain active.

I'd be curious about the first part, though.

Message 406 of 897
lsummers72
Guide

@brianhelman, yes, the hard-coded DNS allowed me to connect to the internet from the wired computer. Thanks for the tip - at least one device works!

Message 407 of 897
whit3rob
Initiate

This is my first post here, hopefully I'm doin' thsi right..

Anyway, I've been having this problem for a while, definitely before .18 although it only affected Chromecasts the most.

After upgrading to .18 my ecobee3 lite thermostat could not connect. I know this is pretty specific but that's the one reproduceable thing I can come up with. The ecobee3 would rarely connect after rebooting the router/modem/thermostat and praying to the gods.. and then would lose connectivity shortly after. 

I could connect the thermostat to other networks (I connected it the hotspot on my phone flawlessly) but then could not reconnect to the R7000. 

I definitely think there is something about the DHCP at the root of this issue.. it simply would not dish out an address to the ecobee.

It almost seems like the router "forgot" it had certain (2.4) clients connected.. 

Anyway, I tried the access control thing, no dice. Tried turning off guest network, no luck. I did not try Tomato because I need something up to date security wise.

So, last night I installed Xwrt-Vortex and the ecobee connected to the R7000 right away and has not dropped since.. Going on 20 hours now. I spent about 10 days prior to that trying to get it to work with Netgear's firmware. 

Installing Xwrt-Vortex was dead simple, just like installing a Netgear update (kudos to them for how easy that is). I did not hard reset anything or restore any factory settings I went straight from .18 to Xwrt-Vortex. 

That is what I will use until this is sorted out... I'm actually starting to like it.. the logging is light years ahead of what Netgear firmware logs which for issues such as this is absolutely useless. 

Anyway I really just wanted to chime in and say there's success with Xwrt-Vortex.

Message 408 of 897
Crozzaa
Aspirant

@whit3rob , Whats the dashboard like on Xwrt-Vortex? Pretty new to this stuff, Will i still be able to use stuff like "NAT Filtering" ? 

Message 409 of 897
Beechyboy
Tutor

Screenshot 

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/screenshots.htm

I installed it today and now I’m getting way better speeds on my iPhone and iPad

Message 410 of 897
SilentJ
Aspirant

The "Mega" download is over quota.  Hopefully someone can download it and mirror it somewhere else!

I've downloaded a copy of the file from somewhere else (Softpedia), so I'm not sure if it's legitimate - Won't have time to flash it and try it out tonight.

File hosted elsewhere

Message 411 of 897
droman
Admin

Latest Update as of 5pm (Pacific time) January 4, 2018

The latest update we have on the R7000.  Thanks to all the community users that have reached out to help diagnose the behaviors you have been writing about in the community.  We are in the process of connecting with a some of those who seem to exhibit most closely the overall symptoms being described.  As we continue down this path we’d like to thank everyone for their willingness to work with us.

Thanks,  Dave

Message 412 of 897
hurricane28
Guide

Hi guys,

Can some of you provide feedback on the new hotfix firmware? I mean, how does it perform and does it fixes all issues?

I ask this as i am still on V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 with no issues and i want to update the firmware savely without any problems.

Thank you in advanced.

Message 413 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@hurricane28  Do NOT upgrade.  Hotfix doesn't work.  Just stay where you are.  Netgear is just starting to reach out to users to try and fix the problem.  It's going to be a while.

Message 414 of 897
hurricane28
Guide

Okey, thnx for the feed back, will wait for further notice.

Message 415 of 897
Magic_The
Aspirant

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

Well I am using V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 and its fine for me.

Message 416 of 897
LM22
Aspirant

After upgrading, my 5ghz band does not work. My HP printer will no longer connect at all. Has anyone tried the latest hotfix? I'm getting quite frustrated and considering a Linksys.

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 417 of 897
shoman94
Apprentice

I did a full reset using the button and setup everything from scratch.... No backup/ restore.
Message 418 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@magic. Hurricane was asking about the .20 hotfix. He is stable , like many, at .14. I am telling him to not go any further. You are stable, great. But the other fw upgrades are not.
Message 419 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@LM22. You can read this entire thread. Many of us have tried everything. And many are smarter than me, and couldnt get it to work. The hotfix is not the answer. We have all stated this before...netgear is just now looking in to the problem. They are just now asking for volunteer help. It is going to be a while. I bought a new router. I turned down the invitation. I can no longer wait for them. Good luck.
Message 420 of 897
andresp
Tutor

V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 is a bit more stable than the newer versions for me, but devices still become unreachable from time to time. In these situations I'm not able to ping them by their IP. Restarting the devices doesn't work, even though they report being connected to the WiFi network. The issue gets solved after restarting the network in the router. Already happened several times with my printer.

Message 421 of 897
Ericsson
Aspirant

After 3 weeks of nightmare I switched to 1.0.9.20

runs more or less stable after assigning fixed IP addresses to most of my devices (about 16)

Message 422 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

V1.0.9.23_20180103_wifi_2G.chk
Results yet??

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/index.php?action=d&step=3

Got it from support this morning.
Anyone wants to test?
Message 423 of 897
Volstate
Apprentice

it's asking for a file code when you click on your link.

Message 424 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Message 425 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7