Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

gizhola
Aspirant

It's asking for a login id and password.

Message 426 of 897
Volstate
Apprentice

Yeah won't let me download it either....

Message 427 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

I am blocked. I can't read the posts anymore. Maybe because I gave access to a test firmware version.
Message 428 of 897
Amlodd
Aspirant

I now appear to be unable to 'view' the latest posts on this thread any longer, (I dont have the correct priviliges) yet this is the 'goto' place to gather the latest info relating to this issue.

I invested in a nother Netgear router - R7800 - thinking this issue is only related to the R7000 but sad to say - it seems to be inherent and looking across the community forum, many of the 'higher end' product posts are mentioning similar issues too.

As many others, I need a stable platform to work from home and the current issue has cripled this ability.

Despite supporting Netgear products for as long as I can remember, promoting them to freinds, family and business collegues, I had no alternate yesterday than to purchase a product from another manufacturer which is now installed and running as expected.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 429 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@Amlodd Same for me, I get email notifications but I cannot read all the posts on the site. Same warning.
Message 430 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@HWAM. I was blocked from the posts too. It wasn't something you did. I dont think. I thought it was me because i said i bought someone else's router and i couldnt wait for them any longer. But, they allowed me back on....
Message 431 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@AtoZ Even their posts aren't stable! Running on Netgear software 😉
Message 432 of 897
Kendigr
Aspirant

I installed this last night.  Thanks much for the post!  So far it is working.

Message 433 of 897
Ceepeebee
Tutor

How about we get a change log, a bit of information about the latest beta before people expect us to blindly flash it on our devices that control access to our internal network eh?

I'm not putting anything on unless it's official.

Message 434 of 897
pendaws
Aspirant

I did the update tonight after reading it was going to fix a few issues but, it has RUINED my Router. Not only is the 2.4ghz light NOT coming on, I can't even get into the router to try and fix it but, that doesn't work either. I have tried to reset the router 4 times and STILL nothing. I am not impressed and this is the VERY first update that has RUINED my ROUTER, so, what if anything, are you going to do about this??

Message 435 of 897
Kendigr
Aspirant

Didn't work!

Message 436 of 897
Ceepeebee
Tutor

In fairness, you took a file from a forum member and flashed it. Do you know where that file came from?

This is precisely my point - wait for an official (stable or Beta) release from Netgear before flashing anything to a product that is so critical.

Message 437 of 897
ddurig
Guide

What I don't understand the most is if they know they have a problem why is the problem software STILL POSTED!?
I work for someone who has to deal in similar situations. Standard practice is 1. Test the software. While you may not find everything you get most. 2. Canary group and wait for issues for a week. If there are HOLD the update. If problems persist PULL the update. They still have it posted as a fix for something. 3. Communicate what is going on. 4. Find a fix or work around 5. If all else fails then recall.

Not saying they need to get to 5 but it doesn't appear they have gotten to step 1 or 2 yet.

I get that you are working with your partner but how come other firmware is capable of resolving the problem. If so an issue with your driver if that is the case.
Message 438 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@Ceepeebee wrote:

In fairness, you took a file from a forum member and flashed it. Do you know where that file came from?

This is precisely my point - wait for an official (stable or Beta) release from Netgear before flashing anything to a product that is so critical.

I got the file from support!! See the mail:

Hi, 

I have discussed the case with the team with regard to replacing the device. I apologize but we cannot replace the device. Our engineering team provided a new beta firmware. Here's the link to download beta V1.0.9.23_20180103_wifi_2G 

Download link: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=c3IXxH5oJs 

Please keep us posted of the result. 

Regards, 

Blanca 
Expert ID: 8325 
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert 

Message 439 of 897
IrvSp
Master

@ddurig wrote:
What I don't understand the most is if they know they have a problem why is the problem software STILL POSTED!?
I work for someone who has to deal in similar situations. Standard practice is 1. Test the software. While you may not find everything you get most. 2. Canary group and wait for issues for a week. If there are HOLD the update. If problems persist PULL the update. They still have it posted as a fix for something. 3. Communicate what is going on. 4. Find a fix or work around 5. If all else fails then recall.

Not saying they need to get to 5 but it doesn't appear they have gotten to step 1 or 2 yet.

I get that you are working with your partner but how come other firmware is capable of resolving the problem. If so an issue with your driver if that is the case.

What you don't know is how many people are having the exact same problems, set up the router the exact same way, or even the percentage of people with this d/l that are having a problem?

I for one are not having the problem on this thread but a minor problem with NET VIEW under Windows 10 that might possibly be a Windows problem.

I for one are sure they tested the s/w. However the test is probably under lab conditions and usings whatever they set up to test the router. Probably wasn't a long term test either (I mean let it run for days and retest everything).

Canary group? How large, using what?

Pull the update? Under what conditions? What percent need to have a problem? Can they in the lab replicate the problem?

I agree with #3 and that is the part that they are not doing (or did initially) that is the most damaging.

Finding a fix, they appear to be working on it. If it were easy and they could have reproduced the problem I'm sure it would have been done?

Recall? Do you mean the router? They'd have to have 100% fail that can't be corrected due to h/w damage.

The usage of a router is NOT all the same. Different cables used, Network Adapters, wired devices, wired speeds, wireless devices, Guest access, wireless speeds, distances, home construction, internet speeds, number of concurrent users, types of usage (streaming, game play, browsing, d/l'ing large files, uploading, etc.), VPN's, all of which must work but there is no standard configuration. There are countless combinations of all the possible settings one could have on a router. Any combination could be a problem here even. A router is not a network switch. It has to be configured to work for you.

I'm sure if this was an easy fix it would have been done already.

Message 440 of 897
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@HWAMthat firmware was meant for you, not us Smiley Wink

@pendawsyou should try for a tftp recovery, if that doesn't work your last option is trying for a serial recovery

Anyho, I've had 0 issues with 1.0.9.18, infact I haven't had any issue the past 4 or 5 releases.

Message 441 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@HWAM Just installed a new triband router since i couldnt wait any longer for a fix. Unbelievable so far. I havent seen these speeds ever! I was pulling 32 on a 50 mbs service with netgear. I now am getting 55. I am above what i pay for. I think i can live with that.
Message 442 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@AtoZ Which one? I have the Linksys WRT1900ACS up and running for 2 weeks now.
Message 443 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

@HWAM Linksys ac4000.
Message 444 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

After a lot of trouble with several late  firmware versions for my R7000 (not stable, dropping WAN access frequently, 2.4GHz connecting issues, etc) I decided to flash an alternative firmware. I'm now using XWRT-Vortex based on AsusWRT-Merlin. I love it, absolutly stable and all issues are gone. First I was sceptical, tought it was a hardware issue with my router and was looking for a new one. For those who are desperate you can give it a try, you won't regret it. I'm on FW version R7000_380.69. 

Message 445 of 897
ablatt
Apprentice

I'm not sure what the security ramifications are but just know that the Vortex firmware is hosted on a Russian site and is not open source.

Message 446 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@ablatt That scares me too. I rather use Tomato.
Message 447 of 897
mated
Aspirant

Just throwing this out because my router has mysteriously beome stable (>1 week)

I have had the same problems with 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz dropping.off - inluding google Homes (5 Ghz), Logitech Harmony(2.4) , Samsung phones(5 and 2.4), Yealink light bulbs(2.4) and ,,, Many of these devices are with 10 feet of the R7000. I went through the upgrades from .14 to .18 to .20 without any significant differences over the past 2 months. I tried many of the parameter changes (QoS, guest network, disabling 5 Ghz ...) but they didn't seem to help much - still resetting the router (from GUI, power plug, Wifi button) to get devices back online (my wife just turns the R7000 off and back on). Have never lost a wired connection, but an wired android box has been acting strange (not sure if it's related)

One thing that did help a bit was schedulling the WiFi off for 30 minute every night. It just made the problem happen less often though.

Here are my questions: For the past week I have been stable without any further changes. The only change has been the ambient temperature in the room has dropped about 6-8 F due to the cold snap we've been getting in Toronto. Has anyone noticed any corelation to the temperature? Did the firmware upgrade which causes the problem  upgrade the firmware of the WiFi chipset (might explain why certain downgrade paths do not fix the problem)? Could the possible WiFi chipset firmware upgrade have pushed up the thermals?

Message 448 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

XWRT-Vortex is being discussed on the LinksysInfo.org forum and found to be save by many users. Sure, there is no guarantee but you'll never know what Netgear is doing. You can turn off data collection, but is it really off, are you're sure there is no backdoor? Tomato or DD-WRT is fine but it has a lot of settings. Not easy for an avarage user.

Message 449 of 897
MannyN
Aspirant

Same instability issues that other users have reported. Wifi connections just drop off for no reason (sometimes as frequently as 10 min after reset) and it is getting to be very annoying. Having to reboot the router everytime this happens. Seems to go offline even when no activity on the router. Have not been able to identify a pattern yet. Have devices connected to both bands, QoS is not enabled. 

Message 450 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7