Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

IrvSp
Master

@Case850 wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

While I have empathy for all those with problem, I am basically not having any? Just want to add that to all the negative comments, as I'm sure there are others like me. Also to give hope to all that these V1.0.9.xx flashes don't damage the h/w, at leat not mine.

Your statement assumes that every R7000 ever made has exactly the same components. I would suggest there are internal differences.

@IrvSp wrote:

I do have one semi-serious problem. Windows 10's NET VIEW and the R7000 router do not get along. W10 dropped SMB v1.0 from the OS (unless already there and in use) but it appears that the NG firmware needs that to communicate with W10... not proven but it appears to be the case.

I have used ALL versions of V1.0.9.xx and gone back and forth with them working on the NET VIEW problem, but with all these flashes I've NOT experienced on drop on either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz channels.

To be more precise, the problem is with Readshare on the R7000 and Windows 10. If you had a dedicated NAS with SMB3 support there would not be a problem with the R7000 and Windows 10. I notice Readyshare on the R7800 supports SMB3 perhaps that is an alternative if you want to stay with Readyshare.

Yes, I'm sure different chips could be in different mfg. runs. Usually those might have a Vx designations, and the R7000 do not have that. Sure it is possible. But I've seen people that do have the problem state the R7000 they have is old too. However, it could be the root cause of the problem.

As for SMB1, since MS removed it from W10, then to me, that is a defect in the R7000 flash or if nothing more it should be stated in the README file, like the NG Arlo was.

However, there is a real problem within the Router, besides the SMB1. I use the USB connected drive to save files from the various PC and store video's for streaming on other devices (Smart TV, iPad's, etc.). I use DLNA clients to view those files with the R7000 being the server. Unfortunately at some point that DLNA Server disappears and I can't do that. The 'cure', reboot the router. I did discover at least on the iPad's that using either iOS Genie or a video program that is a Samba client they still can play the video's. So this is clearly an R7000 Flash problem. Maybe the SSID disconnects might cure this as well, who knows.

One other point, SMB1 not withstanding. For some 'odd' reason, my PC has SMB1's Automatic Removal and Server features enabled (was migrated from W8.1). It, and other W10 PC (without those features enabled) were able to use NET VIEW and it worked, probably up until Mid-Dec. (don't know for sure when it stopped working). What changed? I know it wasn't W10 V1709 as I had gotten that real early (Oct. 18th) and I am pretty sure it worked then.

What I did discover if I reboot the R7000, NET VIEW works fine. It seems that when I boot my PC or reboot the router (which starts out as the Master Browser) my PC will automatically try to be the Master Browser. It does get the device list from the router as the command works fine. However, once I shutdown the R7000 should know that and then become the Master Browser. That might not be working (bug?). Because the next time I boot my PC and it becomes the Master Browser, NET VIEW not longer works (error code 1231 which researching makes no sense) as I suspect it can't get the list of devices from the R7000 (we can argue who's bug that is?).

Since any W10 PC without SMB1 enabled could also become the Master Browser if another PC wasn't, that of course fails too. From that point on NET VIEW is broke until the R7000 is rebooted.

Why does that matter? Because I use Explorer++ (a Windows Explorer replacement I like to use instead) to open the NETWORK and allow me to drag files from any of our PC's to the READYSHARE folder I want. As I said, this was working probably until mid-Dec. when I couldn't see the R7000 shares in Explorer (on any PC). Rebooting the R7000 allows this to work until my PC was shutdown.

I do have a work-around though. NET USE still works and I can use it that way.

I've got a whole thread on this over HERE and I'm not the only one with the problem.

Getting a NAS? Maybe, but the R7000 did serve my purposes, and 'did' is the operative word.

Message 576 of 897
JTB5
Aspirant

I haven't noticed any consistent wifi drops, with the router.  But what I have noticed is an issue with QOS.

I've done a device specific QOS rule for my Xbox, and have it set to the highest priority.  I think filled in the "Uplink" section with my max upload speed of 5mbps, (4.72 mpbs if running the auto speed test on the page)  This setting also seemed to throttle the download speed for the xbox, to the same speed as what the uplink was set to.

I've gotten around the issue by setting the "Uplink" speed to 50 mbps. which allows the xbox to get the max down and up speeds I'm supposed to get.

Also I think it's kind of odd that the router main page would let me know that there was a new firmware available, but in a beta version.  One would think unless it's fully tested it wouldn't get pushed out that way.

Just my 2 cents.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 577 of 897
shoman94
Apprentice

I had similar issues with QoS with multiple devices so I just disabled it.  I'm not worried about my speed anyway since I have plenty. (100mbps).

I also setup all my streaming devices on LAN as much as possible or 5ghz. My phones and laptops also use 5ghz.  Low priority devices and my kids tablets and guests run off 2.4ghz.

Message 578 of 897
Ceepeebee
Tutor

Just wanted to add so thoughts of mine after trying a few things.

So I'm running the .18 firmware and whilst I'm having ZERO drops, the speed on 2.4ghz is atrocious. I'm running 5ghz on most appliances and phones to get by but the range is obviously effected.

I tri d turning off the 20/40 coexistence setting which is supposed to speed up 2.4ghz and guess what...it gets worse.

So I'm really stuck here. Seriously considering putting tomato on it unless Netgear can give any update on what's actually happening?

I know another firmware was given to some via PM but I'm not trying that unless it's released as a Beta at least.

Any news..ever..anyone??
Message 579 of 897
solag
Aspirant

Any new updates NetGear?????

Message 580 of 897
vincentw56
Tutor

@solag wrote:

Any new updates NetGear?????

Funny that people still ask this. After 585+ messages on this post and no communication from them, do you actually think they monitor this thread anymore? It is clear that Netgear doesn't care about their customers or fixing this issue.

Message 581 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Yeah, what the hell are you doing Netgear!!
Message 582 of 897
shoman94
Apprentice

They are working with people to collect logs and hopefully figure out the problem.

Haven't you when them off?
Message 583 of 897
jomihi
Tutor

Hi all,

no bug fix, no time line, nothing from offical NG site till now.

Don´t think that is a normal behavior for an US company . Bur for sure not the best reputation to get a bigger footprint in Europe.

Anyhow .. I think I have to swap to Vtex or Tomato. But just in case... do someone have any expirience to go back to original NG SW?

BR

Michael

Message 584 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@jomihi wrote:

Anyhow .. I think I have to swap to Vtex or Tomato. But just in case... do someone have any expirience to go back to original NG SW?

BR

Michael

My advice would be XWRT-Vortex, it is rock solid stable and easy to use. There is a way to go back to stock, but I'm pretty sure you won't go back once installed.

Message 585 of 897
IrvSp
Master

@Case850 wrote:

@IrvSp

These Netgear "Routers" are not pure routers but a hybrid of barebone features that are contained in many stand alone devices. Modem/Router/Ethernet Switch/Wirless AP/NAS. 

It is the failure of the 2.4G Wirless on the R7000 that is the focus of this thread. It is the part that is currently consuming a great deal of time and energy.

The NAS features which Netgear support via the suite of Readythis and Readythat is a completely separate issue. It belongs in a separate thread which you had already started, but now have decided to post here.

Sorry, I beg to differ... I thought the issue WAS due to this firmware, and I did post that info WAY UP this subject. See Page 5,

Message 586 of 897
Firepsych
Aspirant

I'd support XWRT-Vortex as well. Switched to  the current version and have had no drop offs. To be fair I haven't tried Tomato so I can't make any statements that 1 is better than the other. I'm just happy to have a stable router at this point.  Probably won't go back to NG FW unless I see some happy customers on this thread. Not sure I'd buy a NG when current router craps out.

Message 587 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

Well, all customers will be happy when NG give them a stable firmware, still I'll be on XWRT-Vortex. Never go back as it is very stable and has a great GUI. Easy to setup and some nice features. 

Message 588 of 897
droman
Admin

Latest update on R7000 as of 4PM (Pacific Time), January 12, 2018.

We are continuing to work through the disconnects noted by the community by engaging with some of our users.  We are working on a firmware version that is currently being tested in our lab and is being monitored over the next few days.  We would also encourage other user in the community who are experiencing the disconnects on the 2.4GHz band and want to help through this process to reach out to us to work together.

Thanks, Dave

Message 589 of 897
dnbas
Aspirant

Sohey, thats a very quick update after weeks of problems and no feedback!!!

Message 590 of 897
Rikardo007
Tutor

For those of you that have flashed your firmware to XWRT-Vortex, have you noticed any difference (increase or decrease) with the range of both 2.4G and 5G compared to the NG firmware?

Message 591 of 897
armelwani
Aspirant

It's been over 72 hours since I flashed XWRT-Vortex and everything has been rock solid! I can't believe NG can't get their firmware right. Even just looking at the open source Tomato should give them some insight into what they're missing. For me, I couldn't be happier. Well, I guess if NG hadn't caused this problem in the first place then maybe, but honestly I don't think my R7000 has ever been as fast as it is right now...

To answer the question about range, I will say in my situation I am noticing an increase in signal strength. 5GHz in particular has a stronger signal than it used to, and my tenants on the 2.4GHz guest network say their speeds are faster. Hope that helps!
Message 592 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@droman @JamesGL
Give us more information. We deserve it. Did you find bugs?
Are you able to reproduce the problem?
How many people suffer from it?
When do you have a stable version?
Come on!!! ANSWER!!
Message 593 of 897
shamarin
Virtuoso

Have patience, they will release a new version. Or if you problem is so big wrote a personal massege to JamesGL or other admins in this forum with describing of you problem. For me i didn't have any issues with Wi-Fi connections. I have only a problem with VOD services and IPTV with version 1.0.9.18 and wrote to JamesGL via personal messages. Support gave me beta version with fixes.

Message 594 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Have patience, are you kidding? I spend more than two weeks trying to make the router more or less stable. I tried anything. Read all the pages! It started a long time ago. And now I must be patient. I had to buy another router because I can't effort down time. And experimenting with Tomato or something else was also not easy with a business to run. We all payed for a working router. They broke it!! And they are aware of it. But helping me with a replacement or another solution NO! I tried betas, no positive results. So don't tell me to be patient. I am up and running with a new brand. No Netgear for me ever again. I only want to know what is going on, did they find any bugs. Just keep us informed. Not only a useless answer. We have the right to know what the status is.
Message 595 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@Rikardo007 wrote:

For those of you that have flashed your firmware to XWRT-Vortex, have you noticed any difference (increase or decrease) with the range of both 2.4G and 5G compared to the NG firmware?

In default setting it is pretty much the same but as it is rock stable without dropouts it feels much better. In XWRT-Vortex you can also adjust the TX-power. Default setting is 50% and can be increased. Be aware that you might shortened your hardware lifespan.

Message 596 of 897
WouterO
Guide

It’s them:

https://www.myce.com/news/confirmed-issue-google-cast-causes-temporarily-wifi-drops-around-world-834...

Seriously, I don’t have any Google cast devices and don’t have any problems with my R7000. Not on 2.4 or on 5 GHz with fw 1.0.9.18. Stable for many weeks.

Message 597 of 897
armelwani
Aspirant

Sorry, I should have been as clear as Rogier64 in that I have left my XWRT-Vortex firmware relatively default, especially with TX power. I am finding the 50% setting works just great for my needs on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
Message 598 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

If you configured your R7000 relatively by default you probably haven't enabled BWDPI yet. Go to Tools->Other Settings and scroll down to Asus features. Enable BWDPI to Yes and click Apply Settings. Reboot the router now. After booting log in to the router and you have AiProtectionAdaptive QoS and Traffic Analyzer added which are very nice features.

Message 599 of 897
Ceepeebee
Tutor

I had to jump ship I'm afraid. I need stability on my Wireless setup - Tomato installed. Let's see how this goes...

Message 600 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7