Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

mhsu858
Guide

I can reproduce the problem by turning off/on wifi on my pixel phone and see google home mini stop playing music and pc losing internet connection then reconnect after 10-15 seconds.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 626 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@mhsu858 In that case there is a second issue. I now about the cast issue. My problem has nothing to do with the cast problem. I don't have a cast device and nobody was at home at the drop moments. Don't mix two issues please. 2.4GHz is dropping at many places and it has nothing to do with the cast issue. Not in my situation, I am very sure.
Message 627 of 897
aabshire
Apprentice

I agree, with the cast issue it seems to come back without intervention, where with the original error it require at least reapplying wifi settings in router. At least that is the way it is for me.

Message 628 of 897
mhsu858
Guide

Sorry I wasn't clear about the issue I was reporting on.  I am still refering to the post 1.0.9.18 firmware upgrade connection drops.

Message 629 of 897
mhsu858
Guide

@HWAM

I think you are right this is a differnt issue. I probably fixed my 2.4 issues by messing around with some config and got the lucky combination and it's been stable for over a week now.  Before that,  dropped connection can only be fixed by rebooting the router.  This new issue I experienced does fix itself and don't require reboot.

Message 630 of 897
JTB5
Aspirant

Message 631 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@JamesGL @droman Give us information and stop those useless discussions!!!!
Come on Netgear, community!!!
Message 632 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@HWAM wrote:
@JamesGL @droman Give us information and stop those useless discussions!!!!
Come on Netgear, community!!!

@HWAM

While I admire your asking for their input, I fear they simply don't have much to say. If Netgear damaged the hardware, they probably never will reveal the cause of the problems... they'll just reduce the performance until the electronics stay within a tolerable range. Most users won't notice or care. 

Even if Netgear "fixes" the issue, I would like to see two things, to be willing to reconsider Netgear in the future:

1. An explanation of why reverting to previous firmware didn't fix the issue, so that we know that they understand the cause of the problem and how to prevent it from happening again with any future firmware upgrades.
  2. Compensation to customerswho had to put up with problems for over a month while Netgear said little to nothing. Many of these customers, like me, had no choice but to go out and spend money on a different router.

I don't have high hopes, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Message 633 of 897
potamus29
Guide

Thanks for the link JTB5 but it has nothing to do with the probems that I and many others experienced. I don't have a Chromecast. The droppinh of wifi connectons was purely related to the new firmware. Reverting back to an earlier FW has cured the problem for me so far, unlike some others it would seem. As far as I am concerned Netgear has left many people high and dry, if the outages return to mine I won't waste any more time looking for an answer, it will be new router, different brand.

Message 634 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

To summarize my thoughts:
- NG left this situation running far too long
- Their public communication has been very poor
- They have been working behind the scenes with a number of users to debug and test new builds, but I suspect this has been hampered by a situation where they seemed to begin engagement after the Christmas holidays when people a) were already exhausted of debugging and possibly bought new devices, and b) had less time to help them because they had returned to work.
- They seem to believe, and some users are confirming, that they have a build that seems stable in test now. I would personally expect to see a beta/hotfix out this week, given how badly this is affecting people.
- Nothing seems to have been "damaged" in the router. People can roll back to 1.0.7 and it works. People can change to AT or Vortex and it works. It is a shame that end users had to do all the legwork to find usable versions.
- Yes, the dearth of public engagement, updates, is infuriating.

I think at this point the best plan is to wait to see what they drop this week. That's my $.02.

NG: You better at minimum get a beta out via the forum 😉
Message 635 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@Diggie3 wrote:

- Nothing seems to have been "damaged" in the router. People can roll back to 1.0.7 and it works. People can change to AT or Vortex and it works.

Which user has reported success rolling back to any version of Netgear firmware and running stable?

Message 636 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

1.0.7.12 is stable for me and I've seen others say it also has been stable for them. However, it does undo various security improvements I believe.
Message 637 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@Diggie3 wrote:
1.0.7.12 is stable for me and I've seen others say it also has been stable for them. However, it does undo various security improvements I believe.

Oh - I was unaware of that. I thought you took that statement back, but perhaps that was for a different version. How long has it been running stable for you?

Message 638 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

Over a week.
Message 639 of 897
potamus29
Guide

I rolled back to FW version 1.0.9.10_1.2.21 six days ago, still ok, no drops.

Message 640 of 897
ENuff
Initiate

I've had my R7000 for three years and have had lots of connect/disconnect issues, poor range and stability, most everything detailed in this topic and others, just overall bad performance.  I've probably read every thread in this forum regarding software updates and the problems continue.  If I do a 30-30-30 reset, then install an update, performance is reasonably stable until I mess up by forgetting and installing the next update without clearing the firmware first.  A factory reset won't work, only the radical reset.

So, after enduring the equivalent of a car that may or may not start, may or may not keep running, may or may not allow itself to be refueled, etc., I installed XWRT-Vortex (just install it like an update, super simple!) a week ago and the difference in performance is incredible.  Perfect stability, 50 downloads at a time, ability to use all of my 175 Mb connection, LAN switch (netgear!) and printer both work correctly and can be discovered EVERY time, ethernet is as fast as it should be, wireless coverage at the opposite end of the house never disconnects (wouldn't even go that far with Netgear software). 

Actually, now the router just acts like any decent router should.  The R7000 hardware is fine, the software is awful and as they junk it up more and more adding analytics, that Disney Circle thing and whatever else to the weak parental controls, VPN, DDNS and try to support that stuff, I don't see how Netgear's software will ever function as it should.

I was very close to just trashing our R7000 and buying another brand but XWRT-Vortex works so well, there's no point.  If I'm somehow forced to use Netgear software again, out the Nighthawk goes. 

Message 641 of 897
hellspawn69
Guide

My fix I implemented has been solid for over a week, and I was dropping many times a day initially-

No factory resets, no downgrading firmware, just some looking into the settings.

Here is what I did-

Don't enable Smart Connect

Disable the SSID Broadcast of the 2.4 band. (currently testing to see if this is necessary)

Disable the 20/40 MHz Coexistence

Set channel manually (I picked 5, but currently testing to see if this is necessary)

I also have a 2.4 Guest SSID, it was dropping along with the 2.4 band originally, I didn't make any changes on that, and it has not experienced any drops since making the above changes to my main 2.4 SSID.

See if this works for you folks, if it does, here is a link to my GoFundMe.

https://www.gofundme.com/ford-mustang-gt-netgear

Maybe if this fixes the issue for more than just myself, Netgear can just make a full $ amount donation for all the time/effort/lost customers I would have just saved them.

Message 642 of 897
Net-working
Guide

I've been following this thread but I haven't commented as I dont seem to be effected with these problems.

My router is only a few months old.

I didn't feel comfortable running the old pre installed firmware so I upgraded to the latest firmware at the time (.14 I think).

I then installed Advanced Tomato as this was the reason k bought this router, after doing this all my Wi-Fi speeds slowed right down.

I played with all the settings but I couldn't get on with it.

I then went back to NG hotfix firmware (.20 I think) and do far it's been running perfectly.

The reason I thought I should make this post is because the router is running in a very wifi heavy environment.

There are:

Multiple Google homes.
Multiple Wifi CCTV.
Multiple Chromecast.
Multiple Android devices new and old.
Multiple Apple devices new and old.
Multiple wifi plugs.
Multiple laptops.
Multiple wifi printers.
And I have probably forgotten more .

When I did go back to the hotfix firmware I did do reboots after every change I made.
I also enabled QOS and let it update the manual configured the speed.

I hope this somehow helps and puts to rest that this is not a Google/android problem.
Message 643 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@mzguy wrote:

@Diggie3 wrote:

- Nothing seems to have been "damaged" in the router. People can roll back to 1.0.7 and it works. People can change to AT or Vortex and it works.

Which user has reported success rolling back to any version of Netgear firmware and running stable?

@mzguy @Diggie3 NOT FOR ME. Even an old version wasn't stable anymore. I tried a lot of software and hardware resets and even the oldest firmware. I tried also 1.0.7. 

Message 644 of 897
DVS_Dee
Aspirant

Woke up this morning to find my router shut itself down (or died) at 04:39 (GMT). Tried power cycling it and nothing lights up at all. Didn't have time to investigate further.

Message 645 of 897
wifiuser123
Aspirant

I tried open source firmware and the problem had gone away completely. It had been about 5 days, and no connection drops yet.

Seperately Google devices on your network could be causing the connection dropout issues:. Please read the following post:

https://gizmodo.com/your-chromecast-or-google-home-might-be-screwing-up-you-1822112926/amp
Message 646 of 897
Firepsych
Aspirant

I have 2 Google Home mini's on  the XRWT Vortex (latest) firmware and have had no problems  with them. Not sure if this firmware is more robust or if it an interaction with NG firmware that is causing some problems.

Message 647 of 897
DVS_Dee
Aspirant

Turns out my power supply had died, replaced it Smiley Very Happy and now back to random dropouts Smiley Sad

Message 648 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@Firepsych wrote:

I have 2 Google Home mini's on  the XRWT Vortex (latest) firmware and have had no problems  with them. Not sure if this firmware is more robust or if it an interaction with NG firmware that is causing some problems.

Just far more robust in respect to NG firmware 🙂

Message 649 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@DVS_Dee wrote:

Turns out my power supply had died, replaced it Smiley Very Happy and now back to random dropouts Smiley Sad

There is a simple solution.....

Message 650 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7