Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

Diggie3
Luminary

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

I think many of us are done testing more and more settings changes, and just waiting for NG to post something official. I know I'm not investing any more time in it. Either they officially fix it or soon I'm replacing my devices with another brand, and that will be the end of it. Several people on the thread have already done so, or swapped to an unofficial firmware.
Message 676 of 897
ibrouwer
Initiate

Hi All,

After a pb invitation, I upgraded firmware with a debug version. At the moment the disconnect problem occurred (within several hours) I uploaded the debug logs.

I quickly received another debug version of the firmware and uploaded that one yesterday.

Netgear is certainly working on it.

That version is running fine without any disconnect problems for more than 24 hours now.

Looks like they fixed the problem in that version. 

See how it continues the coming days.

So far so good.

Message 677 of 897
hellspawn69
Guide

See post 653
Message 678 of 897
hellspawn69
Guide

The gofundme was just to be funny. Like the Internet is randomly gone give me a car lol.
Disable your broadcast of SSID and the 20/40 coexistence and manually set a channel. I'd honestly love to know if that doesn't solve the problem for you. I have 0 issues since I did that. What can it hurt you to try except maybe manually configuring a few endpoints to still hop on the hidden network.
Message 679 of 897
TerryPh
Virtuoso

They are working hard to debug FW for R8000
Possibly nailed out to a common root cause of problem
I have tested multiple trials FW sent from them, and they have good record of the debug logs.
Hopefully they are now in the right track to get it fixed.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 680 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

My new Linksys wrt1900acs solved the problem and I will never buy a Netgear router ever again.
Message 681 of 897
TerryPh
Virtuoso

To HWAM.
Big congratulation to get the new router. Finally you get your peaceful life back. Sincerely hope that you will never be stretched out again for these kinds of problem, technically speaking...
Best
Terry
Message 682 of 897
jomihi
Tutor

Hi to all,

got a debug version as well. looks to me that NG is working on that problem. let´s see the outcome within the next days.

BR

Michael

Message 683 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

@Robb_H wrote:

@AlpineKid66 wrote:

Nobody is talking about this anymore??

There's really not much that hasn't already been said, multiple times. Netgear could make a meaningful statement, but all that most of the rest of us could contribute would just be chatter.

It is not that I wanted things to be rehashed, I was hoping that Netgear had done something with the firmware that is being tested. Was/is anything going on.

I would like to update fireware to the latest so that I can find out if that firmware will fix a different problem I have. If it dosen't, I fix it another way.

Hope the firmware is stable.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 684 of 897

I had great expectations from Netgear Support but after a bunch of firmware versions PPPOE IPv6 is not working, I am forced to use the beta version 1.7.3 that i have received last year. Very very disappointed, worst support ever.

Message 685 of 897
ENuff
Initiate

Don't see how the G Home dump is any different from p2p packet bursts, which are a routine test for throughput and shouldn't hobble a router.  Some routers handle lots of small packets poorly, the stock R7000 is one of them. Others do well, Asus for example. Xwrt-vortex is, as you probably know built around Asus firmware and vice versa, and their excellent GUI.  Our xwrt-vortex just sails along, no issues at all. It discovers more than twice as many networks as netgear software, over 50 neighboring networks and never stumbles.

Firmware does have a huge effect, the R7000 hardware seems fine.

Not looking back at this point, Xwrt-vortex works so well.

Message 686 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@ENuff wrote:

Don't see how the G Home dump is any different from p2p packet bursts, which are a routine test for throughput and shouldn't hobble a router.  Some routers handle lots of small packets poorly, the stock R7000 is one of them. Others do well, Asus for example. Xwrt-vortex is, as you probably know built around Asus firmware and vice versa, and their excellent GUI.  Our xwrt-vortex just sails along, no issues at all. It discovers more than twice as many networks as netgear software, over 50 neighboring networks and never stumbles.

Firmware does have a huge effect, the R7000 hardware seems fine.

Not looking back at this point, Xwrt-vortex works so well.

Yes, you're absolutely right, the hardware is fine but the NG firmware is a disaster right now. I really don't understand why some of the forum users buy new hardware without trying alternative firmware first. In their perception the router is broke already. Why not flash XWRT-Vortex (one of the best R7000 firmware there is) before throwing away the router.

Message 687 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

I received anemail yesterday from Netgear.  I have received these in the past a day or two before my router saw the firmware, or I could go on Netgear's support site and manually download the update.

The problems with the firmware were too disruptive to my household, so I purchased a router from another manufacturer.  It's been running for 12 days without a single issue and it also fixed a couple of the complaints that I had with the Netgear firmware (e.g the inability to generate a new cert for the VPN and more granular firewall controls).  My R7000 is also now running in AP Only mode under the Xwrt-Vortex firmware and moved to an area of my house that had a weak signal.  It's been running that code for 6 days, without issue.  I don't plan on going back to stock Netgear firmware and I don't see me using or recommending their hardware anytime in the foreseeable future.

Here is the email:

WHY YOU ARE RECEIVING THIS EMAIL:

NETGEAR values the security of your network and data so we have released new firmware updates for your WiFi router to enhance your security.
To update your router's firmware, use a computer that is connected to your router's network and log in to your router at http://www.routerlogin.net. Select Advanced > Administration, click the Firmware Update or Router Update button, click the Check button, and follow the prompts. If there are no firmware updates available, then no further action is required.
To read detailed instructions or watch a video demonstrating the steps, visit How do I update my NETGEAR router's firmware using the Check button in the router's web interface?
For more information about the security issues that we have fixed, visit our Security Advisory Page and enter your model number in the Security Advisory Search box, then press Enter.
WHAT WE ARE DOING:

NETGEAR's mission is to be the innovative leader in connecting the world to the Internet. To achieve this mission, we strive to earn and maintain your trust by delivering products that are secure and by protecting the privacy and security of your data. NETGEAR is constantly on the lookout for both known and unknown threats. Being proactive rather than reactive to emerging security issues is fundamental for product support at NETGEAR.

If you have a security-related support concern, you can contact NETGEAR customer support at techsupport.security@netgear.com.

Your security is important to us. Thank you for being a NETGEAR customer.

Message 688 of 897
droman
Admin

Latest update for R7000 as of 10AM (Pacific Time), January 19, 2017

Here’s is the latest for the R7000.  We are working to formalize the new firmware release that should help to patch the 2.4GHz disconnects.  As many in the community have pointed out, some of the disconnects seem to be related to a known Google issue with Android and Chromecast built in devices.  We have seen the Chromecast effect in our lab, as well, but wanted to be as thorough as possible as we have also seen posts that users who do not have Chromecast or the affected Android apps were still seeing disconnects.  Therefore we wanted to continue testing a variety of other possibilities.  Additionally, we see in various publications that Google will be releasing firmware updates for their affected devices.  We would suggest you disconnect the Google Chromecast, Google Home, and associated Android apps to reduce disconnects until we release our firmware patch as soon as practicable with our SQA testing and/or you update the firmware on your Chromecast devices.  Although we certainly believe the new firmware will help alleviate the drops, we want to still hear from the users who do not use the Google products should you continue to see disconnects after installing the new firmware.  As always, we very much appreciate our users who have helped us test through this process and also appreciate the continued conversation in the community which helped to guide us to a solution.

Thanks, Dave

Message 689 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@droman Are you telling us you weren't able to reproduce the 2.4GHz drop issue without having Google Home, cast and apps involved??
I am so sure in my situation the drops began after the firmware update and without Google Home, Cast and apps. At the moment of the drop nobody was at home and nothing changed in my environment. Only the FW of the R7000 was changed. And I think I am not alone with this. Again, the question, you weren't able to reproduce the problem without Google products?? I don't like this whole situation came together with the Google issue. In my eyes it has nothing to do with it. Please give us more technical information about the changes.
Message 690 of 897
Net-working
Guide

And I have multiple Google/android devices and I'm not facing any of the problems people are having here
Message 691 of 897

Dave,

I do not have any google or android products at all and experienced the drops in excess.  I had to revert back to a very old firmware (vV1.0.7.12_1.2.5) before I saw the drops go away.  They started when I upgraded to the latest firmware (v1.0.9.18).  Then, I tried the .20 hotfix and they did not go away.  Then, I downgraded to v1.0.9.6 as I have heard others were having luck with this version.  But, I continued to experience the drops.  It wasn't until I went to 1.0.7.12 that things stabilized.

For me, the issues had nothing to do with google or android so if your fix only solves for those device types, I am afraid you are not covering the entirety of the issues.

Regards,

Message 692 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

I am afraid they focused on the Google issue. This and other community 2.4GHz drop discussions were overloaded with reactions about the Google issue since it came in the news. The focus changed and people were discussing about Google even when a lot of us don't even have Google products. Unbelievable. I think it's very easy for Netgear to focus on the Google issue but I hope they will test without Google products. I want to know what they changed to "fix" it. And what was changed in the guilty Firmware versions, why got a lot of users problems after the Netgear firmware update??? NETGEAR FOCUS ON THE INITIAL ISSUE!!
Message 693 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

You need to perform something like a BAT/sanity check and then make a beta available with caveats/warnings here in the forums, perhaps not on the website yet.

If you don't, you risk formally releasing another firmware that only works for some people and all the backlash that will come with it. Can you imagine all the people who have already been waiting months for a fix finally getting an official one and it still doesn't work?

Netgear's communication and strategy has been awful on this from a customer perspective. Perhaps you feel you're somehow protecting the company by limiting direct public engagement. But I can tell you as someone my friends turn to for advice and someone who has won you a good number of sales, hell will freeze over before I recommend anything Netgear to anyone again. This is as bad as the fiasco that made me ditch everything DLink a decade ago, and I've been warning people off them ever since.
Message 694 of 897
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello Dave and community,

I have 4 chromecasts at home and an android phone and tablet. With the current older software version I don't experience the reported software drops. Although there is in background for sure the Google issue with broadcast like storms. The wifi connection isn't unstable beside occasional data flow hick ups.  I am pretty sure there is more to it with the Netgear firmware then the Google cast related issue.

I indeed hope and trust that Netgear now brings out a trustworthy s/w where all features now work to in a stable and speedy fashion.

I think this will be a last change for Netgear to show they are serious about their customer base and show to be a true networking gear company.  But let's see.

Bas,

Message 695 of 897
xantari
Star

What security issues were fixed? What are the related CVE's? Is this a major or minor security concern?

Netgear needs to up their game. Writing "Security fixes" in the firmware description is NOT helpful.

Message 696 of 897
parker3
Aspirant

I received the email to upgrade the firmware. This morning I followed all directions and now several Roku's and FireSticks and my cell phone won't connect. Other devices are connecting. This has been driving me crazy all day. How can I go back to the old firmware, when everything worked flawlessly. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I noticed it's set to AP  - is this corrrect? Is there another setting it should be on, and if so, How do I change it? I don't have any Google or Chromecast devices. Thanks for any help!

Message 697 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

You can go back to the older firmware but probably it won't solve your problem. Just flash an old firmware for R7000 the same way you flashed the new firmware, you only get a warning that the firmware will be older than installed and have to accept it. Right now the only way to fix your problem is flashing an alternative firmware.

Message 698 of 897
Junopapa
Tutor

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

Please post here for any update/issue related to the latest firmware 1.0.9.18. 

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

Message 699 of 897
Junopapa
Tutor

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

Updated firmware this morning and have been having constant drop off of internet connectivity! What's going on?

Message 700 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7