Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

mzguy
Apprentice

wrote:

wrote:
It is easy for me to solve the problems I have with the R7000 router, problems that the netgear is unable to solve or does not want to solve. I recommend everyone not to buy netgear products at least for a while, maybe they will realize that we, their customers, are important. I definitely will not buy any other product in the next few years due to bad support/firmware issues.

I see many people state this. Do you really think it is going to bother them? This isn't a Mom and Pop shop you can stand in front and picket. You already 'gave them the money', and unless you are a sole purchaser for a humongous corporation that declares no more purchases from Netgear and tells a Netgear Rep. when they ask why that is.

You can tell all your friends too, but how many sales do you thing that will be?

How many people do you think are having problems? Do you know the percentages? Do you know if NG sales have been impacted?

I suspect a very low percentage are having problems.

Also, are you sure other home network vendors are also not having problems? Everyone I've had h/w from over the years have had some sort of problem from poor performance to firmware update problems, to premature failures.

I'd also venture to say a very large percentage of the NG h/w is installed and never touched again. It just worked when installed and continues to work. I would think unless the AUTO UPDATE function is active, which could cause some problems.

Router's age as well. For some, the first sign of 'failure' is enough for people to upgrade to the latest as well.

Still, threatening to never buy again and tell the world is most likely falling on deaf ears here.

Thanks for the private messages. Here's my missing post....

@IrvSp :

Yes, we should boycott with our wallets and from atop pedestals so others can hear. There are already discussions on review sites mentioning these issues, and they will get more and more attention.

Why do some companies fail due to lack of sales? Even large ones do - it's because consumers speak with their wallets and let others know.

I bought Eero over a month ago. It's working great, the company is responsive with support and updates, and I recommend them. When people here (including me) contacted Netgear, we were told we need to pay extra for support after 90 days. When someone with an out-of-warranty defect posted a friendly question to Reddit asking for advice on repair options, the CEO of Eero replied and offered him a free replacement device!

So no, others don't necessarily have problems like Netgear. The difference is why some companies succeed while others fail.

Message 826 of 897
IrvSp
Master

wrote:

@IrvSp :

Yes, we should boycott with our wallets and from atop pedestals so others can hear. There are already discussions on review sites mentioning these issues, and they will get more and more attention.

Why do some companies fail due to lack of sales? Even large ones do - it's because consumers speak with their wallets and let others know.

I bought Eero over a month ago. It's working great, the company is responsive with support and updates, and I recommend them. When people here (including me) contacted Netgear, we were told we need to pay extra for support after 90 days. When someone with an out-of-warranty defect posted a friendly question to Reddit asking for advice on repair options, the CEO of Eero replied and offered him a free replacement device!

So no, others don't necessarily have problems like Netgear. The difference is why some companies succeed while others fail.

First, when you bought the router you should have been aware of the warranty length. For the R7000:

=======

This product is backed by a NETGEAR limited 1-year Hardware Warranty.

24/7 basic technical support provided for 90 days from purchase date, when purchased from a NETGEAR authorized reseller

=======

So Eero has someone 'with the power' to do something on Reddit... good to know, but that in and by itself doesn't make Netgear any worse. It is just that they don't do it.

So you think other companies are better? How about LinkSys? Maybe this LINK is something you should read? Many 'support' and charge complaints. ASUS, see this LINK, yes a lot more, but they have a larger variety of products... search for ROUTER and you'll find some that look familiar. TP-LINK, see this LINK, seem familiar?

As for the Reddit comment, I do see this, https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/7rf6in/eero_failed_out_of_warranty_anyone_else/ and someone with the name Wsweaves as a co-founder/CEO replying but nothing detailing what was done? Also looking at that page are two 'complaints' about not getting through to phone support and WiFi not working (no, I did not open the links and read them). On this LINK is a complaint about WiFI being 40% slower.... sound familiar to what one would see here?

All I'm saying is others have a variety of problems too. Individual results are different.

Message 827 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

This is an update.

just spent 1.5 hr

Updating ChromeCast to latest version 1.30.109591.

Testing on V.0.9.18_1.2.27 . 

Could connect to unit , but when tried to cast , disconnected immediately.

updated router to V1.0.9.26_10.2.31

Reset ChromeCast, rejoined WiFi  on 2.4g with S7 on 5G.

Could not find device.

Reconnected S7 in 2.4g , all seems to work so far.

I am making assumption route does not send chromecast traffice between 2.4 and 5g

Also does  smartconnect work anymore. i currently have mine off.

Access control is on and allow all devices

What are your toughts now.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 828 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

I did install the Chrome home app yesterday.

I ask you if smarconnect still works, doubt it.

Because i could not see configured chromacast  device from the 5g wifi.

Both device have to be on 2.4g.

Did not bother trying both on 5g. My family want to use it.

Get this stuff fixed, Ive done my part.

Message 829 of 897
schumaku
Guru

All aware 1.0.9.26 is out? http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000054779/

Bug Fixes:
- Fixes the Wi-Fi disconnect issue caused by a flood of broadcast traffic.
- Fixes security issues.

Message 830 of 897
mated
Aspirant

@schumaku

All aware 1.0.9.26 is out? http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000054779/

Is this any different than the beta 1.0.9.26 that I loaded about 10 days ago?

Message 831 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@IrvSp

I'm not trying to make the case that Linksys is better, or Asus, or TP-Link. I simply don't know and don't care.

I do know that Netlink has handled this issue with very little care or interest by any reasonable standard of "good customer service".

I also know that by and large Eero customers are happy. Of course there will be problems, but you're not seeing threads anywhere with tons of posts and lack of reply or interest. I'm not sure why you went out of your way to look for flaws. Honestly though, your criticisms aren't very impressive....

So Eero has someone 'with the power' to do something on Reddit... good to know, but that in and by itself doesn't make Netgear any worse. It is just that they don't do it.

Yes, this does make Netgear worse. No one from the company, and certainly no one from the leadership team, has offered to go beyond written policy and warranty to remedy an extraordinary failure. So yes, this does make Netgear clearly worse.

someone with the name Wsweaves as a co-founder/CEO replying but nothing detailing what was done

Are you really going to minimize Eero's extraordinary support here, on the presumption nothing was done because there was no follow up post from the original poster?

two 'complaints' about not getting through to phone support

Two complaints. If only most companies could have such a low call drop wait while waiting for phone support! I've never gotten through to phone support after 90 days at Netgear by the way, so that's the standard of comparison here.

WiFi not working

Yup, at least one  or two people posted that on Eero they couldn't get Wifi to work. That compares to what is happening here on this thread?

complaint about WiFI being 40% slower.... sound familiar to what one would see here?

No, not at all. The primary complaint here is that between 5 minutes and 5 days (usually), Wifi doesn't work at all. Not slow, not a question of power or placement of devices, but complete failure. So no, Eero is a shining beacon of "Hey, Wifi just works!!" in comparison to what we're seeing in this thread here.

Message 832 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

I'm not spending another moment on this.

Been up since 5 this morning eastern time,

Now I've spent the last 2 hour tshoots this problem.

Have a working solution with limitations.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 833 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

Are Apple devices really having problems with firmware 1.0.9.18??

Is this part of Netgear R7000 problem?

Or is the Apple device problem a different problem?

What does ChromeCast have to do with the R7000 firmware, any version?

I updated to Firnware Version V1.0.9.26 & am not having any problems with any of the iPhones that are connected to the R7000. The iPad is doing just fine also. Have 3 laptops that are connect to the R7000, one at 5GHz, 2 on 2.4GHz.

Message 834 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

wrote:

There are several alternative firmwares like DD-WRT, DD-WRT-Kong, Advanced Tomato and XWRT-Vortex. I'm using XWRT-Vortex on my R7000 (380.69_2) and I'm very enthousiastic about it. I'll never go back to stock firmware.

Did you mean: enthusiastic

To bad this does not have spell check.

How hard was it to install the XWRT-Vortex??

Though I am not having any trouble with Firmware V1.0.9.26. My printers, laptops, iPhone & iPod are connecting just fine.

Message 835 of 897
IrvSp
Master

@mzguy, all my statements were valid. I was pointing out that every mfgr. has problems. Don't want to buy NG, fine, but you might find others have the same sort of problems.

This thread has dragged on and a lot are just repeats of the same problems. Yes, NG people were/are in here. They started to gather info and get some more data and testers for fixes. This isn't a situation of a h/w fail a few months past the year that CAN be fixed with a replacement. This is a problem with Firmware and SOME router configuration and devices. I for one has no had any problems and I'm running on the subject firmware.

It also appears from another post that V1.0.9.26 has been released officially now? I've not gotten it and I don't know if it is the same code as the Beta (assuming the post was correct that this IS an official release) or not?

Fixing complex s/w is not a 1 day job. I assume you understand that.

Could NG have been more visible and forth coming, sure, but would that have sped up the delivery of the firmware or just made you feel better?

As for number of Eero complaints, well, that is basically a SINGLE product, here, in one forum are many different ones, all with different firmware and different capabilities, with some similar. You can't compare quantity, but you can compare the similarities of complaints.

Like anything else, you have no clue to the actual percentage of users to number of complaints, either similar or different, to those without problems or complaints. You don't even know the volume of users vs. other company users. All I was doing is pointing out that quite possibly NG isn't any worse that other companies.

You picked on this one:

==============

someone with the name Wsweaves as a co-founder/CEO replying but nothing detailing what was done

Are you really going to minimize Eero's extraordinary support here, on the presumption nothing was done because there was no follow up post from the original poster?

==============

What you posted that made me look for that was :

=========

When someone with an out-of-warranty defect posted a friendly question to Reddit asking for advice on repair options, the CEO of Eero replied and offered him a free replacement device!

=========

Hence my comment, I did not see anything but a request for a ticket number, no other comments by him nor the OP that it was resolved and the unit replaced free of charge.

If I missed that or I was looking at the wrong thread, sorry. If that was the correct thread then how do you know it was handled to the OP satifaction???

Message 836 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

Flashing XWRT-Vortex is simple. Flash it just as you would flash NG firmware. In the download package you will find 2 firmware files as well as some info text files. If you are on NG firmware you must use the .chk firmware file, if you are on XWRT firmware (future upgrading) you must use the .trx firmware file. That said, you cannot easily revert to NG stock firmware as NG doesn't use .trx files. There is however an old NG firmware package available ported to a .trx file. But don't worry, once you are on XWRT you won't go back. On the other hand, why flashing 3th party firmware if you don't have issues with stock firmware.

Message 837 of 897
illest33
Aspirant

Wifi still drops on patch V1.0.9.26_10.2.31. Hard reboot every single day. Devices lose connection and are unable to rejoin the wireless networks. Channels are properly set to avoid interference. This has been going on for quite some time now. When will it be fixed? Is it a hardware issue that firmware cannot fix?

Message 838 of 897
shamarin
Virtuoso

Did you try to reset you device after an update?

Message 839 of 897

I have a long list of devices on AC, and a bunch of statically assigned IPs.  I'm happy to reset if upgrading proves to be worth it.  Looking for feedback from others on the official 1.0.9.26 release. The beta seems to have been pulled.  I wil try it this weekend if I see positive results from a few people. 

Message 840 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

Resetting is not going to help. It almost never helps.
Message 841 of 897
illest33
Aspirant

@Case850wrote:

@illest33, can you list all of your devices?

Android (2) PC (2) Samsung TV (2)

Message 842 of 897
illest33
Aspirant

Message 843 of 897
illest33
Aspirant

@shamarinwrote:

Did you try to reset you device after an update?

Reseting device does not change anything.

Message 844 of 897
Firepsych
Aspirant

@rogier64wrote:

Flashing XWRT-Vortex is simple. Flash it just as you would flash NG firmware. In the download package you will find 2 firmware files as well as some info text files. If you are on NG firmware you must use the .chk firmware file, if you are on XWRT firmware (future upgrading) you must use the .trx firmware file. That said, you cannot easily revert to NG stock firmware as NG doesn't use .trx files. There is however an old NG firmware package available ported to a .trx file. But don't worry, once you are on XWRT you won't go back. On the other hand, why flashing 3th party firmware if you don't have issues with stock firmware.

As rogier said I'll never go back to Netgear firmware either (at least not in the near future). Since flashing XWRT Vortex I've had 0, that's zero problems with 2 google home minis,  wemo,  Nest thermostat, hue lights, etc. for  more than 2 weeks.  If you're still having difficulties I'd suggest alternate firmware as well.

Message 845 of 897
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Do XWRT-Vortex support AP Mode

Message 846 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

Yes, XWRT-Vortex has an accesspoint mode.

Message 847 of 897
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

To those users still facing problems, using latest update 1.09.26....

Could you please try these steps:

1. After updating to the new firmware, please reset the router....Warning: this will delete any custom settings you have done to the router, so if you can't remember these settings(and need them), take a screenshot of the different menu setting pages and save them in paint as png files or just simply use the camera in your smartphone. DON'T use a backup file from a older firmware version.

Reset using following method: Press and hold in the reset button for at least 10 seconds and give the router a couple minutes to finish the reset cycle.

The Netgear login username and password, will now be back to factory default of "admin" and "password".

2. After updating firmware and resetting, the QoS database in the Netgear router will be deleted and needs to be re-downloaded, in order to fix wifi issues with speed and connectivity stability. And yes, though it may not seem like logic, but even if you don't have QoS enabled by default, the settings in the QoS database file is still used by your router for dealing with the wifi connections and will affect how the router deals with your wifi devices.

And as an extra precaution/optimization(especially if you experinced issues with stability), you may also want to re-setup the wifi profile on your Android devices(delete wifi and re-configure again). Some users, including myself, has experienced in the past that this can solve stability issues with wifi connections on Android devices.

Let me/us know if these steps helped you with your particular problem. Thanks!!

Edit: I haven't experimentet myself, so this is just a thought on my part, but I personally have always disabled the Netgear data collection service and Disney parental options. You may try the same, if still having problems and facing issues.

Message 848 of 897
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

Found this quick guide, on how to download new QoS database file(for those who needs it):

Step 1. Go to QoS Setup (you'll find this option under advanced/setup/QoS Setup/)

Step 2. Put a checkmark in "enable QoS" scroll down and then click on the "Update Now" button in front of the "Automatically update performance optimization database " option.  Wait for it to update.

Step 3. Remove the checkmark(important) on the "enable QoS" again and click on the green "Apply" button at the top of QoS menu.  

Step 4. Log-out and do a new speedtest and now (hopefully) enjoy your new faster wifi speed! 😉

Another tip:

To check for potential wifi issues related to sharing your 2.4GHz/5Ghz wifi frequencie channels with neighbours, please download the app(on Android smartphone or tablet)called "wifi analyzer" and check if you are sharing wifi channels with a neighbour. If there is a free channel try changing your Netgear router to this channel instead. Or if no channels are free, choose the channel with the weakest signals coming from your neighbours.

Message 849 of 897

Greetings,

Does this mean you are running the final release of 1.0.9.26 and are not having issues?  ie (with stability, speed, wireless devices remaing connected) etc.

Message 850 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7