Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

LM22
Aspirant

I was having 5ghz disconnects daily with firmware 1.0.9.18. I turned off the 5ghz guest network and every single problem disappeared. Just wondering if anyone can attest to the stability of 1.0.9.26? 

Message 851 of 897

@LM22wrote:

I was having 5ghz disconnects daily with firmware 1.0.9.18. I turned off the 5ghz guest network and every single problem disappeared. Just wondering if anyone can attest to the stability of 1.0.9.26? 

You and me both.  I noticed the beta was pulled a while back.  Haven't seen anyone mention results after installing the final release.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 852 of 897
Roomie
Tutor

i´m on 1.0.9.26 and having absolutley no problems, 11 days up without reboot.

wifi: 2 samsung tv´s, android tablet and mobile, raspberry pi - all on 2,4 ghz, win10 laptop (5 ghz)

lan: dlink nas, 2 raspberrys, denon network av receiver

guest wifi 2,4 ghz activated for guests

Message 853 of 897
Metzroth
Aspirant

I had to roll back to 1.0.9.18 because 26 completely broke my 5Ghz network for my lightswitch and on my iPad made the speed go from 50Mbps to 5Mbps.  Downgrade fixed all.  2.4Ghz was unaffected.

Message 854 of 897
Bob254
Guide

Upgraded to 1.09.26 on the 18th (little irony there). Upgrade smooth, router rebooted on it's own. Came back online with no fuss. As far as I can tell, all my previous settings remain. Both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands are turned on as it was prior to the upgrade.

No connections issues or drops. No lag or buffering, even with 3 devices simultaneously playing 1080P youtube videos.

Have devices hardwired to the R7000 and none of those exhibit any connectivity issues. I do not have any Google/android devices. Wifi connected devices run Linux Mint, Windows and iOS.

Looking good so far.

Message 855 of 897
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

We have recently released a hot fix for the R7000 WiFi disconnect issue that has been reported.

Release Notes

Bug Fixes:

·         Fixes the Wi-Fi disconnect issue caused by a flood of broadcast traffic.

·         Fixes security issues.

To Install

Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection.

1.      Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually.

2.      Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is R7000-V1.0.9.26_10.2.31.chk

Download Link:http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.9.26_10.2.31.zip

3.      Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.

4.      Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade.

5.      Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.

6.      Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Important Note:

The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes.

If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn’t display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade.  After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.

Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.

If this firmware update resolves the issue(s) you have been experiencing we would appreciate your update to this thread. However, if you continue to encounter WiFi disconnect issues or any other unexpected behavior please open a new topic.

Subject:

R7000 FW: 1.0.9.26 - <Include a specific description that best summarizes the issue being reported>

Body of the Post:

·         Include Device model Number

·         Current Firmware version installed

·         What error message(s) or unexpected behavior you are encountering

·         Whether or not the issue exist prior to the firmware update

·         Steps to replicate the issue

·         What troubleshooting steps have already been taken

·         Client used (iOS, Android, Web) and client versions/OS versions

·         Please do NOT include any personal information such as address, phone number, serial  number, social security number, credit card number, etc.

We look forward to your feedback.

Message 856 of 897
Yugioh
Tutor

I wanted to put time limits on when the internet is turned on. This led me to realizing that the date and time on the router is wrong and cannot be corrected!

I have the correct time zone. Even changing the time zone does not change the time.

I looked at past threads and this seems to be a recurrent problem with netgear routers. I have the most recent firmware installed

V1.0.9.26_10.2.31

Message 857 of 897

I see where the confusion came from now.  At least what threw me anyway...  The link on the right is now dead.  This was the last hotfix, or so I thought.  Then 1.0.9.26 was put on the download page but it was the same file.  It appears that the name was appended, but its the same _10.2.31.zip.  So for people that asked if it was the same file as the one which was released earlier, I say yes.    

hotfix.pngSo as of 2/13, Netgear is considering the issue resolved with the caveat from James..  "please let us know if you are still having issues".

213.png 

I'm going to try it this weekend and see how it goes.

Cheers

Message 858 of 897

@Yugiohwrote:

I wanted to put time limits on when the internet is turned on. This led me to realizing that the date and time on the router is wrong and cannot be corrected!

I have the correct time zone. Even changing the time zone does not change the time.

I looked at past threads and this seems to be a recurrent problem with netgear routers. I have the most recent firmware installed

V1.0.9.26_10.2.31

I have 3 Netgear products currently in use and am not having any issues with time. I believe (not confirmed) that the router gets its time from an NTP server...  what do you have in front of your R7000?  Have you confirmed its time?  Maybe its blocking the routers ability to communicate?

time.png

Message 859 of 897
mixolyd
Star

Thank you guys for the recommendation for XWRT-Vortex firmware! I've been struggling for at least a month with my R7000 and slow internet. It's used in a medical practice and our medical records software would sometimes time out, and it was getting really frustrating. Ever since I installed Vortex, i've had zero issues. It's literally like a brand new router. 

It really sounds like Netgear needs to hire a new software team. I had the Orbi a year ago and had nothing but issues with buggy firmware. I don't get what's so hard about quality testing your software before release

Message 860 of 897
Yugioh
Tutor

I entered an NTP address and it works now. 
Thank you.

Message 861 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

I started using the Circle with Disney about 6 days ago. Now I am having connetion problems on my iPhone. I lost my 5GHz. I had 2 laptops using that channel. Since I started using the Circle with Disney, the 5GHz is on channel 153. The laptops cannot find the 5GHz anymore.

Now I might just flash with XWRT-Vortex.

When is NetGear going to fix this problem???

Message 862 of 897

Updated from 1.0.7_1.1.99 > 1.0.9.26_10.2.31

Current bandwidth 300 / 12 (comcast)

Verdict: Immediately lost 50% of my downstream bandwidth

I went through every single page and menu. I went into QoS and enabled it, downloaded the newest definitions file (dated 7/23/17) -For Christ sakes Netgear- saved and rebooted. Still at 50% of previous downstream bandwidth. Disabled QoS / WMM all together and rebooted, no change.

I then tried manually defining bandwidth, saving, rebooting and testing after each change. Rebooted the cable modem as well, multiple times with the same results. Best I could get was 165 down. The speed test in the router said 214 down, but I never saw that.

Then I reset the router to defaults... just tested wired bandwidth. SAME results, only 50% of previous downstream bandwidth.

ok... Let's be extra thorough.. reflash 1.0.9.26... which blows away the downloaded QoS configuration whether you have it enabled or disabled.... now its back to being blank - SAME results (50% of downstream).

***Connect directly to cable modem - get 300 / 12

Have about 43 minutes invested into this "upgrade" now. Have restarted at least 20 times.

Next step. flash back to 1.0.7... reapply config file. Retest downstream / upstream bandwidth.

bandwidth.png

Your result may vary.  I never bothered checking wireless device performance as wired performance is paramount for my work.  Sticking with 1.0.7.. for the foreseeable future. Don't have the time to mess with this.

Observations:

I have seen QoS wreak havoc on previous versions of FW, but have always been able to overcome them by disabling it and WMM.  Not this time.

This is the page you are greeted with after upgrade.  No I don't want automatic upgrade from a stable FW release and no, gather your own telemetry data Netgear.upgrade.png

Next, parental controls.  Big no to these as well.circle.png

And finally the QoS update.  Tested with and without.  No difference.

QoS.png

Message 863 of 897
hurricane28
Guide

It appears that i have problems with streaming movies via my network with this router..

I have 500/500 MB/s Internet and i connected my Sony Smart TV 4K via network cable and i get constant stutters or buffering lag while streaming 4K movies. anyone knows what can cause this or what the bottleneck is in this case?

Thnx in advanced.

Message 864 of 897

Intentionally deleted.

Message 865 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

@Case850wrote:

@AlpineKid66

If you have a Android phone can you install the following Android and post screenshot of 2.4G & 5G channels.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

@Case850

Have iPhone 6s

Message 866 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

@mixolydwrote:

Thank you guys for the recommendation for XWRT-Vortex firmware! I've been struggling for at least a month with my R7000 and slow internet. It's used in a medical practice and our medical records software would sometimes time out, and it was getting really frustrating. Ever since I installed Vortex, i've had zero issues. It's literally like a brand new router. 

It really sounds like Netgear needs to hire a new software team. I had the Orbi a year ago and had nothing but issues with buggy firmware. I don't get what's so hard about quality testing your software before release

@mixolyd

I lost my 5GHz when I installed/tried to us Circle with Disney. Do you have the 5GHz?

Thanks

Message 867 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

@rogier64wrote:

Flashing XWRT-Vortex is simple. Flash it just as you would flash NG firmware. In the download package you will find 2 firmware files as well as some info text files. If you are on NG firmware you must use the .chk firmware file, if you are on XWRT firmware (future upgrading) you must use the .trx firmware file. That said, you cannot easily revert to NG stock firmware as NG doesn't use .trx files. There is however an old NG firmware package available ported to a .trx file. But don't worry, once you are on XWRT you won't go back. On the other hand, why flashing 3th party firmware if you don't have issues with stock firmware.

@rogier64

I have 4 grandkids that we are guardians of & wife & I wanted some control (parental control) on the network(phones & computers). So I installed Circle with Disney on NetGear. What a bad idea that was. Was working good until I tried to use internet on the Samsung Smart TV. No 5GHz. Then I checked 2 laptops that was using 5GHz. No 5GHz either. Uninstalled Circle with Disney hoping to get 5GHz back. No luck there. Rebooted a number of times & that has not worked. Now I am going to do a hard reset & find out if I get 5GHz back.

Now I am pondering if I should just go to XWRT-Vortex.

Message 868 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@AlpineKid66 XWRT-Vortex is based on Asus WRT and they have AiProtection as parental control. But I'm not sure it will work as it is not an Asus Router. You can however do some parental control by using certain DNS servers like OpenDNS for filtering web content. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Message 869 of 897
AlpineKid66
Guide

@rogier64wrote:

@AlpineKid66XWRT-Vortex is based on Asus WRT and they have AiProtection as parental control. But I'm not sure it will work as it is not an Asus Router. You can however do some parental control by using certain DNS servers like OpenDNS for filtering web content. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

If I install XWRT-Vortex, the parental controls I will have to figure out.

My question now is, if I install XWRT-Vortex, will I get my 5GHz back after uninstalling Circle with Disney?

Message 870 of 897
Rikardo007
Tutor

@AlpineKid66wrote:

@rogier64wrote:

@AlpineKid66XWRT-Vortex is based on Asus WRT and they have AiProtection as parental control. But I'm not sure it will work as it is not an Asus Router. You can however do some parental control by using certain DNS servers like OpenDNS for filtering web content. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

If I install XWRT-Vortex, the parental controls I will have to figure out.

My question now is, if I install XWRT-Vortex, will I get my 5GHz back after uninstalling Circle with Disney?

There shouldn't be any reason why you wouldn't get your 5GHz back. XWRT-Vortex just works. There is no Disney Circle with it so nothing for  you need to uninstall. With regards to parental control, you could  set up a network with access to internet on a scheduled basis, and you can manually turn off access from the admin either on your computer or install the Asus app on your smartphone/tablet (it will find the Netgear router during setup and identify it as an Asus RT-68U or something like that) and you can also control it there on demand.

Message 871 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@ AlpineKid66 as @ Rikardo007 has explained that you do not have to delete anything in the NG firmware. The entire user interface will be changed by flashing XWRT-Vortex. You must reconfigure your router. And yes, you get your 5 GHz back. Keep in mind that your Wi-Fi bands will be unlocked for all regions by default. There are no restrictions on Wi-Fi channels and output power. You can adjust both, but keep in mind that you can choose Wi-Fi channels that are not available in your country by default.

Message 872 of 897
ablatt
Apprentice

Message 873 of 897
pierreca
Aspirant

Thank you for info.

Currently have 14 routers out in field, i assit with.

Only 3 are working properly because Xwrt-vortex in installed on them.

Was getting calls from user, can't connect, slow, Choppy video.

Reset routers problems return, Also remote addmin very slow.

Netgear is draging ther feet on this issue & issues.

Will eventualy change all routers to Xwrt.

Can't rely on Netgear to fix a flash light.

Very disappointed with speed of resolving these issues

Even with reseting to factory default and applying all fixes, still doesnot  work properly.

Also Wireless finally function and at full speed.

Noticed have Netgear wireless power was set to high to use longer distance , needed a second R7000 router set to AP mode.

Since Xwrt-Vortex wireless power set to 50% there is no need for second R7000 in AP mod.

Would like to return to Netgear firmware some time, if they can get there act together.

Anyways 

just some thoughts

Message 874 of 897
Donth
Aspirant

Irony someone moved to linksys. I bought the netgear after my linksys keep dropping all the 2.4 and 5 connections and tech support gave me the run around after I tried all the firmware updates and factory resets. When they gave me a hard time about a warranty return, I called it quits on a 1 year old $300 router and came here. I think was a design or chipset problem which can't be fixed sometimes because the linksys forums have tons of people in basic configurations with similar issues who jump through hoops to get their routers basic functions to work

BTW Belkin bought linksys. They aren't the same company they used to be.
Message 875 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7