Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

Alfik
Aspirant

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

Tomato by Shibby flashed 15 days ago- rock solid, huge wifi range, 0 drops, the same speed on cable and wifi and finally a proper Internet access restriction for different devices to protect kids - don't need anything else....

Finally familly is happy using a nvidia shield (Kodi), ipad, iphones, PCs, Bluesound internet radios and few Xiaomi devices- every of them works flawlessly ..... 

Message 551 of 897
wifiuser123
Aspirant

I tried every other option and nothing seems to resolve the dropping connection issue after about 12 - 24 hours of each reboot. I have tried Firmware Version 1.0.9.20 (Hot Fix) as well, but no help. I ended up reverting the Firmware to Version V1.0.9.12_1.2.23, and it seems to work. It has been about 24 hours since I reverted the firmware, and no issues so far. My devise is configured as router, so I should be fine in terms of security vulnarability.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 552 of 897
AtoZ
Apprentice

Earlier i posted that jack chen was asking for more testers to work with them. I informed him that i couldnt wait any longer and bought a new router from another company. He was nice enough to get back to me and tell me he understood. He also told me the current issue was just presented to him on january 2. I dont know about everyone else, but i do believe this has been going on a bit longer than that. I am so happy with my decision and so disappointed with netgear even more.
Message 553 of 897
cfields82
Guide

@AtoZ wrote:
Earlier i posted that jack chen was asking for more testers to work with them. I informed him that i couldnt wait any longer and bought a new router from another company. He was nice enough to get back to me and tell me he understood. He also told me the current issue was just presented to him on january 2. I dont know about everyone else, but i do believe this has been going on a bit longer than that. I am so happy with my decision and so disappointed with netgear even more.

Seriously? Wow.. All you have to do is go back about 23 pages in this thread and see it's been going on for way longer than that. Still no official acknowledgment that there's a serious issue here..

Message 554 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

I also received an offer to test, and mentioned I had to buy another router after the issue was going on for a month (perhaps more). I suggested Netgear might buy back my router, as it was just a few months out of warranty.

For a reasonable sum, Netgear has an opportunity to get their hands on a known-bad device, and resolve this problem faster. Plus, they might win a customer back. We'll see.
Message 555 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

I also was able to fix my router.  I purchased another vendor's gear and installed it.  Done.

Netgear, get your act together and *maybe* I'll consider buying your gear again when I replace my new router in 4 or 5 years.

Professionally, I manage a network of about 10,000 computers; a thousand or so network devices, including high-end enterprise wireless.  I kind of understand the troubleshooting.  I am patient, to a degree, with vendors since recreating the faults is usually very difficult.  HOWEVER, recreating the failures with the R7000 is neither difficult or complex.  I do not believe Netgear understands the blacklash on this.  I have told all of my techie friends to either flash their R7000 with another (non-NG) firmware or buy another router.  I'm still trying to figure out how to work with all my non-techie friends who I (apparently, WRONGLY) advized to buy a NightHawk Series router.

I was PM'd today to work with support.  I already provided them with several log dumps.  They didn't reply and then came back to me as if they didn't know they had already started to work with me 2 weeks ago!   It's very difficult to fix a problem when you can't manage it.

Message 556 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@droman @JamesGL

Hi,

I guess it's time for an update. What is the status? Do you know how many people has problems with this? Not only R7000, I know.

Please communicate!

Do you guys want us all to buy a new brand? Without a daily status report people run away to the shop.

Maybe that is your policy about solving problems.

Grt.

Message 557 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

I don't know why everyone should buy a new router. The hardware is not bad at all, just the firmware is buggy. Simply flash XWRT-Vortex.

Message 558 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@rogier64 Do they pay you to promote Xwrt? You advice it in more posts. LOL.
Message 559 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@HWAM wrote:
@rogier64 Do they pay you to promote Xwrt? You advice it in more posts. LOL.

LMAO, no but I'm very enthusiastic about this firmware. I see a lot of desperate members here. In the end you can alway buy a new router, but it's so easy to try the ***-firmware first. Everyone deserves good advice :-)))

Message 560 of 897
BradR7000
Star

Installing third party firmware is good advice.  At this point in time, it's the only thing that really fixes the issue.  I just hit 31 days of uptime on Advanced Tomato.  So either keep wasting your time trying to fix a flawed firmware, or go third party.  That's your two choices.

Message 561 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

I guess it's about time we all know how many users are facing this problem and bring the issue in the news. Make ik public. We payed for a working router with Netgear firmware. It is ridiculous how we are treated. Like buying a Mercedes but you can't use it. You must find yourself another engine to make it drive again. Unbelievable!!
Message 562 of 897
armelwani
Aspirant

I'm now at 48hrs with XWRT-Vortex 380.69 and not a single drop out. Speeds are consistent on both bands, my guest wireless, and my hard wired devices. 🙂

Message 563 of 897
brianhelman
Apprentice

It's old hardware.  I think I purchased my R7000 5 years ago.  In electronics' terms .. that's ancient.  But there are 2 reasons many of us purchased new hardware: 1) until the last 2 weeks, none of us -- including Netgear -- could confirm whether the "buggy" firmware damaged our devices.  And 2) (and the most compelling reason) All of us are fed up with Netgear dragging their feet on this.  We made a statement to them, with our wallets.

I'm quite happy I purchased a new router.  I'm still following this discussion just so I can make my R7000 usable, in a secondary role.

Message 564 of 897
rogier64
Luminary

@brianhelman wrote:

It's old hardware.  I think I purchased my R7000 5 years ago.  In electronics' terms .. that's ancient.  But there are 2 reasons many of us purchased new hardware: 1) until the last 2 weeks, none of us -- including Netgear -- could confirm whether the "buggy" firmware damaged our devices.  And 2) (and the most compelling reason) All of us are fed up with Netgear dragging their feet on this.  We made a statement to them, with our wallets.

I'm quite happy I purchased a new router.  I'm still following this discussion just so I can make my R7000 usable, in a secondary role.

Yes the hardware is somewhat outdated. On the other hand there are still not much devices who can gain full advantage of the speed the R7000 is offering. And yes, you can use the 'old' R7000 as accesspoint with third party firmware.

Message 565 of 897
RalfyM
Guide

Wow, so I read through 23 pages and now I'm blind. I'm only here to add yet another name to this list. I haven't tried the numerous things being discussed here though I have tried some.

Predominently TP-Link smart plugs drop from the 2.4GHz band, Amazon Echos have trouble connecting, though one has trouble connecting to the 5GHz band and actually favours 2.4. Smart devices are sometimes painfully slow to respond. I've had other problems with this router also though I won't go into them here since this thread has become more about the disconnected devices than anything else to do with the 18 FW. 

The router was bought a few days ago to replace an ISP one that was having trouble with so many smart devices, tablets and phones being connected to it. This one had a good write up! I never once thought it would actually be a backwards step from a cheap ISP piece of kit.

Anyway Netgear I've posted a rubbish review on Amazon. Not sure I want to go to a third party FW, especially a closed source one so unless in the next few days Netgear fix this issue the router will be sent back as not fit for purpose. Of course if an official fix is forthcoming then I'll add a second star to the Amazon review. If other things are fixed then perhaps my review could reach 3 stars.

Message 566 of 897
Volstate
Apprentice

If i were you, I'd go ahead and send it back. Holding on to the hopes Netgear is going to fix this problem in the next few days isn't realistic. We've been waiting months.  Most are going to 3rd party software, and with the ones that have, I wonder if they are getting good speeds.

Message 567 of 897
aabshire
Apprentice

I have been testing the latest FW from netgear for 24 hours and so far no disconnects.  

Message 568 of 897
wifiuser123
Aspirant

What version is it that you are testing?

@aabshire wrote:

I have been testing the latest FW from netgear for 24 hours and so far no disconnects.  

Message 569 of 897
potamus29
Guide

Update

FW version 1.0.9.10_1.2.21 that I rolled back to three days ago still ok, no drops.

Message 570 of 897
potamus29
Guide

What I meant to add after my last post is that, OK I'm up and running but having to use outdated firmware because Netgear messed up is not acceptable. Neither is having to scrabble around for a fix with no support from the company. I'm nervous about updating the FW when, or if, they release a fix. How can I trust that it won't have other undiscovered bugs?

I think either another Router or third party software will be my route. Netgear, you've lost me.

Message 571 of 897
IrvSp
Master

While I have empathy for all those with problem, I am basically not having any? Just want to add that to all the negative comments, as I'm sure there are others like me. Also to give hope to all that these V1.0.9.xx flashes don't damage the h/w, at leat not mine.

I do have one semi-serious problem. Windows 10's NET VIEW and the R7000 router do not get along. W10 dropped SMB v1.0 from the OS (unless already there and in use) but it appears that the NG firmware needs that to communicate with W10... not proven but it appears to be the case.

I have used ALL versions of V1.0.9.xx and gone back and forth with them working on the NET VIEW problem, but with all these flashes I've NOT experienced on drop on either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz channels.

My R7000 is OLD... I got it basically when it first came out, and it has gone through many firmware upgrades. I don't recall and 'real' problems with it either. I have never reloaded settings from and older (or newer flash) and not every time have I done RESETS either. I do after every flash LOOK at the settings and see if new or changed one have happened though.

Maybe I don't use it fully though. I have a limited number of devices that connect to it (unless relatives or friends are in the home):

• A Smart TV when on (5Ghz)
  • FireTV Stick, always on, 2.4Ghz
  • 2 iPad Pro's, 1 2.4Ghz, the other 5Ghz
  • 1 1GB wired PC on most of the time.
  • 1 AC Wireless PC (NG AC1200 device), 5Ghz
  • Amazon Echo, 5Ghz
  • 2 PC's rarely on, 1 wired, 1 wireless 2.4Ghz
  • Various iPad's, Nintendo devices, iPhones, etc, when friends and relatives connect to the R7000

NOT 1 report of any drops, ever.

Note: 3 of the PC's have RESERVED IP Addresses.

I guess all I'm trying to say there are people out there with no problems. This is basically a 'support' forum and you'd expect to see such reports here. Yes, I agree, there are many more than one would expect. However using a router with the numerous combination of setting and attached devices, as well as environments could have a partial hand in the problem and hard to test. 

Message 572 of 897
xealo
Aspirant

So I have version 1.0.9.14. Should I just skip this version and wait for whatever comes next?

Message 573 of 897
Djzgfx
Tutor

Yes. Skip and wait.
Message 574 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@droman @JamesGL

Hi,

Still no update. What is the status?