mpv23
Aspirant

Fios + Nighthawk + Gateway Router

Hello, I'm new to this all.

We've all read the article "Will my NETGEAR router work wtih Verizon Fios?". I've also spent considerable time researching my below question but wanted some more input. 

I just upgraded to Fios gigbit internet + TV (with a TV box). My apartment has concrete walls and the Fios router (a G1100 Quantum Gateway) has seemingly poor coverage. There are dead spots near the back of the apartment. Even next to the Fios router, my speeds are extremely subpar. 

I would like to now implement my Nighthawk X4s AC2600 to get better coverage and hopefully faster speeds. 

My question is: Will setting up my Nighthawk as AP with the Fios router help my cause? Keep in mind, I have TV also connected through Fios, and I've read that scrapping the Fios router alltogether and using the Nighthawk as the primary router means I lose Video on Demand, which I can't have. Will setting up the Nighthawk as AP increase my coverage? What about speed? Any and all input is very welcome. 

Thanks 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
mpv23
Aspirant

Re: Fios + Nighthawk + Gateway Router

So I set up the router in AP mode. 

Signal to the back areas of my apartment improved modestly. Still not great. 

Would going through the work of setting up the Nighthawk as the primary router (while maintaining VoD and guide for my STB) be worth the effort or is AP vs. primary not a determinent of wifi speed? 

Message 2 of 5
Sabertooth
Aspirant

If you have the Actiontec M1424WR router in service like I do then you may gain an advantage by connecting the X4 as the primary because the M1424WR is only 10/100 ethernet not 1000 like the X4. If you have the Verizon ONT configured for coax, you'll have to call them to reprovision it for ethernet. Then connect your X4 to the ethernet port on the ONT. Keep the M1424WR connected using one of it's ethernet ports (not the internet port) to a coresponding port on the X4 as you say for the guide but turn off the DHCP server (let the X4 handle that) and the WiFi radios basically using it only as a coax AP. This works well for me with a Netgear R6100 previously and now with the gigabit R8500. Going to the R8500 gigabit from the 10/100 R6100 was a real nice boost in speed for my VPN clients downloads.

Message 3 of 5
mpv23
Aspirant

I have a g1100. It has both coax and ethernet plugged into at the moment. 

Message 4 of 5
Sabertooth
Aspirant

That's already gigabit so probably no advantage for you.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements