Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fios and X6S

Rangersmjs
Aspirant

Fios and X6S

Hey Folks - trying to get some help to see what’s possible. I have fios TV and gigabit internet. The speed and range is rough some times, so trying to improve it. I have about 30 devices connected bc of a lot of smart items in my home.

I am not great with internet tech so please bare with me. I am looking at the R8000P bc of the range and the number of devices it supports. But, after reading a bunch of different forums, not sure how to go about doing that with fios router. Have read about bridging and a few other options but not totally understanding. Also seeing issues where it could effect my TV.

I have the fios Gateway G1100. I have it connected via coax so think I still need to keep it connected so my boxes (also on coax) can get the signal as well as the one that is on wifi.

But, can I get this router and somehow use it in conjunction with my fios router/modem to get better connectivity and range?

Thanks in advance!
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Fios and X6S

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 2 of 5
Rangersmjs
Aspirant

So, you don’t recommend a double NAT? Is there another, better option or does Fios just suck and not play well with others lol.

Or, as long as Verizon can help set their router into bridge mode, I am good? Will someone at Verizon actually be able to help me?
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes double NAT is NOT recommended. If the ISP modem can be bridged fully, then this should work. Ensure the ISP can help you with this and setting up any user account information that maybe needed on the NG router. The ISP will have all this information...

If the modem can't be bridged, then try option #2 of the suggestion list. 

Message 4 of 5

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If the ISP modem can be bridged fully, then this should work. Ensure the ISP can help you with this and setting up any user account information that maybe needed on the NG router. The ISP will have all this information...

Sadly, many ISPs and hardware makers make life difficult when it comes to putting things into bridge mode. Some modem/router makers don't want you messing around with their devices. And from earlier conversations here, ISPs don't always know what you are talking about when you ask for help.

Fortunately, there are bright people out there who can figure out what do to. 

FiOS G1100 Bridge | Flyn Computing

There may be other pages out there with different approaches.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7