Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fire Ware Update V1.0.4.28 for R9000 deleted configuration settings

zipperhead
Star

Fire Ware Update V1.0.4.28 for R9000 deleted configuration settings

I just updated to the latest firmware v1.0.4.28 for R9000 and it applied but deleted all my user settings including wifi information.  Why can't the update be applied without loosing my settings which requires me to set up the router from stratch or restore settings from a backup after initial setup like a new router.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
zipperhead
Star

Re: Fire Ware Update V1.0.4.28 for R9000 deleted configuration settings

I’m realizing there are multiple discussions going on this issue.  I posted this in one of the others:

Here is what I did to experience and resolve the issue:

Flashed from V1.0.4.26 to V1.0.4.28 Which started the settings not saved on restart issue.

Flashed back to V1.0.4.26 but the settings not saved issue remained.

Flashed again to V1.0.4.28 and the Settings not saved issue remained.

Submitted an email via Netgear MySupport.

Upon their recommendation I executed this 30 30 30 reset per this response from Netgear Support:

1. You may try this link for the hard reset: https://www.lifewire.com/hard-reset-rule-for-routers-3971318
2. Try to re install again the router and put the put the configured settings.
3. Reboot device after.

The 30 30 30 reset placed the router in the recovery mode with power light flashing. 

I powered off and back on the router without flashing any firmware.

My settings remained in tact and have with four additional power cycles using both the button and pulling power cord.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18

All Replies
myersw
Master

Welcome to Netgear Firmware. Garbage. Return if within  window. R7800 is a better opton.  

Message 2 of 18
schumaku
Guru

I fear that your router config will be gone after a cold or warm reboot, too - there were a few similar posts, users are challenged to run the initial config again.

Message 3 of 18
zipperhead
Star

I will reboot at a good time to see if that is the case. That you.
Message 4 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@DarrenM please.

Message 5 of 18
zipperhead
Star

You were correct.  A reboot did wipe out my settings.  I had to restore them from a backup after completing an initial confirguration like it was a new router.   So how do I get it to stop doing that and save my settings?  Is it like a professional router where I have to copy the running configuration to the starting configuration? If so where do I find that option?

Message 6 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@zipperhead wrote:

A reboot did wipe out my settings.  I had to restore them from a backup after completing an initial confirguration like it was a new router.

Sorry to hear that - it's a bug hitting some R9000 owners as it appears in the community. Roll-back the firmware does oddly not fix the issue - this does bring me to the conclusion that the new firmware update does somehow compromise the configuration storage.

@zipperhead wrote:

So how do I get it to stop doing that and save my settings?  Is it like a professional router where I have to copy the running configuration to the starting configuration? If so where do I find that option?

No such option here on these consumer class devices.

Other R9000 have requested an RMA - while this might address the issue for the moment, I doubt it does resolve the root cause. Netgear should run - cumbersome, we don't hear a word. @Christian_R please, push this to L3 and engineering - ridiculous such an expensive router does loose it's configuration "just" from the update form .26 to .28 - at least for about a hand full of your customers.

Message 7 of 18

There are too many of these "the latest firmware wipes my settings" issues with the R9000.

Has anyone passed this on to Netgear through the official channels? Has there been any response from them?

Message 8 of 18
fercho1974
Guide

There seems to be a good amount of us here having issues, many i presume out of warranty periods.  So, if this did compromise the storage, where does that leave us?  And does Netgear monitor the community?

I feel like this is the WORST $400 ive spent on device, and this is already a newly RMA'd router.  Less than 6 months.  But, since they go by original purchase date, warranty doesnt apply to me.  Linksys/Asus time?

Message 9 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

There are too many of these "the latest firmware wipes my settings" issues with the R9000.

Already one is to many for this product class and price.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Has anyone passed this on to Netgear through the official channels?

Just the semi-official ones - @Christian_R, the R9000 project engineer, and the European Sales Engineer for the consumer devices. Customers have requested replacement units. Best guess that most are beyond of the free support window - very painful to pay for assistance on borked firmware.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Has there been any response from them.

No, silence up to this point. But I must admit I'm a lucky camper - the R9000 here doesn't show this (very biiig!) problem.

Message 10 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello All, 

I have forwarded the issue to engineering and we'll provide an update with more details as soon as possible. 

~Christian 

Message 11 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R wouldn't it make sense to revoke .28 from the distribution? Unless Netgear engineering needs more broken samples 8-)

Message 12 of 18
fercho1974
Guide

Ive posted this on two of their twitter handles, they directed me to support.  So nothing substantial on that front.

Message 13 of 18
zipperhead
Star

I’m realizing there are multiple discussions going on this issue.  I posted this in one of the others:

Here is what I did to experience and resolve the issue:

Flashed from V1.0.4.26 to V1.0.4.28 Which started the settings not saved on restart issue.

Flashed back to V1.0.4.26 but the settings not saved issue remained.

Flashed again to V1.0.4.28 and the Settings not saved issue remained.

Submitted an email via Netgear MySupport.

Upon their recommendation I executed this 30 30 30 reset per this response from Netgear Support:

1. You may try this link for the hard reset: https://www.lifewire.com/hard-reset-rule-for-routers-3971318
2. Try to re install again the router and put the put the configured settings.
3. Reboot device after.

The 30 30 30 reset placed the router in the recovery mode with power light flashing. 

My settings remained in tact and have with four additional power cycles using both the button and pulling power cord.

Message 14 of 18

@zipperhead wrote:

Nice feedback. What firmware did you end up with?

As I understand it, almost certainly unreliable, that reset does not change the firmware back to the original. It just wipes all settings.

So it would be interesting to know if anyone had tried it with the latest firmware.

That could be the saving of everyone.

Message 15 of 18
zipperhead
Star

The latest. V1.0.4.28
Message 16 of 18
fercho1974
Guide

Ill def try this, was planning on it but hadnt gotten around to it.  I saw in a diff post that it didnt work, but def worth a shot.  If it doesnt work, I may try 30-30-30 but will use DD-WRT.

Message 17 of 18

Thanks for that. Could be useful to anyone else hit by the "settings lost on reboot" syndrome.

Try the recovery reset:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

It might even be possible to save settings before the reset and then to reload them after.

That doesn't always work because it can bring the bug back from the dead. But no harm in trying. You can always reset again if it fails.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7