Re: [Firmeware] R8000

[Firmeware] R8000

Dear Community,

I noticed that there is a new firmware that was released back on May 22nd 2018.  I am wondering has this version of firmware addressed the WiFi disconnect issues that I was experiencing before?

I am currently using the stable version : V1.0.3.54 and wonder if I should upgrade to v1.0.4.18 for any reason,

Thank you for your time reading this article and any thoughts are greatly appreciated it!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
TerryPh
Virtuoso

From my experiences with new FW 1.0.4.18, it does not truly fix the issues of internet disconnection at all.
It is there for updated SHA256, and some security issues patches, but not completely fix the internet disconnection issues that they have with previous Fw's.
It is your choice to stay with 1.0.3.54,which is stable all along, but securities risks are there, also if you don't do VPN , then older version 1.0.3.54 is still the best in stability.
BR,
Message 2 of 11

Try it and see.

You can always reflash the old firmware.

V1.0.3.54 is seriously old. Last October. Three more since then.

We have no idea what your wifi disconnect issues might be. If they are the dreaded Chromecast flood, that was fixed a while back. Your firmware probably does not have that fix.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 11
SmallTrader
Apprentice

I am on latest firmware V1.0.4.18 and it is stable BUT I don't use Circle, Parental Control and no QoS. I am using the R8000 for its basic functions which is working fine. However, most people who bought high end Netgear routers for its extra functionality. This is where Netgear has failed miserably. Despite being large orgnisation with a long history, Netgear does not seem able to release stable firmwares for many of its models in the last 12 months.

I don't buy argument that there are too many combinations to regression test. Software engineering has been around since the 1950s and test automation has taken off in the last 5 years. It is disappointing that Netgear has let its loyal customers down on crappy firmware releases.

I have been vocal on this forum but nothing seems to have changed. We continue to see crappy firnmware from Netgear which does not support advertised features.

Message 4 of 11

@SmallTrader wrote:

I am on latest firmware V1.0.4.18 and it is stable BUT I don't use Circle, Parental Control and no QoS. I am using the R8000 for its basic functions which is working fine.

Do you have a problem that you need help in fixing?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 11
SmallTrader
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

@SmallTrader wrote:

I am on latest firmware V1.0.4.18 and it is stable BUT I don't use Circle, Parental Control and no QoS. I am using the R8000 for its basic functions which is working fine.

Do you have a problem that you need help in fixing?

Not currently. I was on V1.0.4.4 and V1.0.4.12 and very quickly gone back to V1.0.3.54 because I have intermittent WiFi disconnect and slow WiFi problems. It was a basic configuration with no parental control, no QoS. Yes. I did do reset after each firmware upgrade.

The new V1.0.4.18 is stable on my router mostly likely because I am on a very basic configuration. Arguably this is an improvement over the last two version as it is at least stable on basic configuration. However, most people would have bought higher end Netgear for its advertised whizz bang functionality.

Message 6 of 11

Thanks but I dont want to try it and see if I know they have not yet fixed the issue....  There are other users reported the issue on the latest version as well.

I do not use any QoS, Parental control nor any Guest Network (I disabled them all) and I still have network reliability issues.... : (

Basic info about my ssids:

Two SSIDs: 2.4G and 5G SSIDs (Just one  for 2 G and one for 5G)
Security Option: WPA2-PSK [AES]

Message 7 of 11

@michaelkenward wrote:

Try it and see.

You can always reflash the old firmware.

V1.0.3.54 is seriously old. Last October. Three more since then.

We have no idea what your wifi disconnect issues might be. If they are the dreaded Chromecast flood, that was fixed a while back. Your firmware probably does not have that fix.

Thanks but I dont want to try it and see if I know they have not yet fixed the issue....  There are other users reported the issue on the latest version as well.

I do not use any QoS, Parental control nor any Guest Network (I disabled them all) and I still have network reliability issues.... : (

Message 8 of 11

@TerryPh wrote:
From my experiences with new FW 1.0.4.18, it does not truly fix the issues of internet disconnection at all.
It is there for updated SHA256, and some security issues patches, but not completely fix the internet disconnection issues that they have with previous Fw's.
It is your choice to stay with 1.0.3.54,which is stable all along, but securities risks are there, also if you don't do VPN , then older version 1.0.3.54 is still the best in stability.
BR,

Thanks,

I do not use any VPN, QoS, Parental control nor any Guest Network (I disabled them all) and I still have network reliability issues.... : (

Message 9 of 11
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@SmallTrader

Understandable that the router is functioning at minimal level and is stable.

Message 10 of 11
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@CutePapaya96

Did you have attached USB drive?

Wonder if you try to turn off DLNA also?

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements