Re: Firmware 1.0.2.52 Device issues

JustinThyme
Luminary

Firmware 1.0.2.52 Device issues

After updating firmware from 1.0.2.40 to 1.0.2.52 Editing devices is not allowed. Error 400, not permitted. Even leaving the device as is and clicking apply gives the same error. This is after resetting to default and immidiatley after set up trying to change or after reloading saved config file. Doesnt matter. Reverting back to 1.0.2.40 enables device editing again.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 45
available4only1
Luminary

Hello everyone! And merry Christmas.
The fact I hade upgrade to version v1.0.2.52 yesterday with out no problems. I guess as far everything things looks good .
Merry Christmas
Message 2 of 45
JustinThyme
Luminary

Have you tried to edit devices
Message 3 of 45
available4only1
Luminary

Network Devices ok Mobile Devices ok Tv devices ok playboy ok cameras ok no problems.
Message 4 of 45
available4only1
Luminary

Also the VPN access is great, i can play Diablo 2 with a friend on a LAN
Message 5 of 45
AudiTuner
Luminary

@JustinThyme, same issue here.

Message 6 of 45
MikePA1
Luminary

Same here - I cannot edit devices to change their name.

Message 7 of 45
pepperoni
Luminary

I also have the device editing issue since upgrading to firmware 1.0.2.52.

Another item that seems to be not working is when you turn 60Ghz off the led will come back on after a few minutes and stay on. I've always kept the 60Ghz turned off because I don't have any 60Ghz toys. A check in the menu shows that 60Ghz is turned off, but led on front is on.

Message 8 of 45
pepperoni
Luminary

@available4only1

Please go to "Basic/Attached Devices" and click on a device that has n/a at the top.

Change "Device Name" or "Device Type" to something else .... Hit "Apply"

If you don't see "400 Bad Request", we have a problem that you don't have.  Thanks for yoour help !

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Message 9 of 45
AudiTuner
Luminary

@pepperoni, I am also experiencing the 60GHz LED light bug that you have.

Message 10 of 45
pepperoni
Luminary

@available4only1& @AudiTuner  Thanks for your confirmation !

Message 11 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't have the naming issue for attched devices, in basic or advanced settings, I also can turn on and off 60Ghz in advanced > advanced settings > wireless settings.

The only feature that I am missing are the higher wifi channels in the 5Ghz spectrum, and in the logs the font still has not been fixed, I cannot change the port number on remote management leaving port 443 open all the time,the same for USB storage HTTP (via internet) its very high security risk Netgear!!!.

Maybe the new support guy, @JamesGL who has taken over from @ElaineM, gets his finger out of his proverbial rear and get this moving to be fixed, Netgear have a duty of care to uphold, they have yet to get a working firmware since the launch of this so called "Flagship" product, Asus are the leaders in routers in IMHO now, Netgear have fallen so far behind in consumer products its a joke.

Message 12 of 45
pepperoni
Luminary

@Retired_Member   Hope some others can chime in on this !

I can turn the 60Ghz on and off also, it's just that the led comes back on and stays on after a few minutes when I turn 60GHz off in advanced > advanced settings > wireless settings.

Checking my 5Ghz channels, I have a 36-161 range to choose from.

The logs font is still very small, I assume that is what you are describing.

The port number on remote management range is 1024-65534 and I can change and apply. Default is 8443.

Thanks for your reply ...

Message 13 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@pepperoni wrote:

@Retired_Member   Hope some others can chime in on this !

I can turn the 60Ghz on and off also, it's just that the led comes back on and stays on after a few minutes when I turn 60GHz off in advanced > advanced settings > wireless settings.

Correct, after a while it does re-enable it self.

Checking my 5Ghz channels, I have a 36-161 range to choose from.

Not when the WiFi is set to Europe, I can see them when set to USA.

The logs font is still very small, I assume that is what you are describing.

Yes

The port number on remote management range is 1024-65534 and I can change and apply. Default is 8443.

It does change but it also opens 443, try "Sheilds-up" on GRC (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2)

Thanks for your reply ...

I hope this helps

Regards

Message 14 of 45
pepperoni
Luminary

@Retired_Member     Interesting, I see two different models R8900 & R9000, the R8900 in listed with a "10G LAN SFP+ port connection for Network Attached Storage (NAS)". I have a R9000 (bottom label) with the "10G LAN SFP+ port connection for Network Attached Storage (NAS)" that I have attached to a Dell PowerConnect 8024f. Check compare here.

Not when the WiFi is set to Europe, I can see them when set to USA.

I have no way of setting my WiFi to Europe, it's grayed out North America, no choice. I live in SouthEast Asia, would enjoy a choice !

It does change but it also opens 443, try "Sheilds-up" on GRC

ShieldsUP! been using his programs for many years. My ShieldsUP! All Service Ports come out "stealth".

Capture.JPG

Message 15 of 45
AudiTuner
Luminary

@pepperoni, Apparently the LED issue cropped up in the previous firmware release (v1.0.2.40) but was not present in v1.0.2.32 or earlier.  If you have a moment read the short thread below, specifically the last post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Beta-fw-required-due-to-LED-bug-on-R9000-fw-...

Message 16 of 45
pepperoni
Luminary

@AudiTuner, Thank you for the link, intresting read.

Cheers,

Message 17 of 45
Jessegodsey
Luminary

I am also having the issue where you get the 400 error when trying to assign a Device type.

Message 18 of 45
Jessegodsey
Luminary

O.k., some advice for the moderator(s)...  We really need to set this up by device model in the forums, it is extremely difficult going through all the other posts for other Nighthawk models.  Also, I would have a sticky at the top of each forum for each model for verified bugs in the current firmware release as well.  Just a suggestion...

Message 19 of 45
Killhippie
Prodigy

Even though I dont have the same router as you, my R7800 is having the same 400, not permitted error. Using the R7800's latest 1.0.2.40 firmware I cannot change devices names if the router is hard reset or even priority on some devices as I get that error, also I get it if I use a 63 ASCII password for wifi, drop it to 62 ASCII and that 400 not permitted error goes away, it seems the routers had similar security issues, so may there is a common denominator here. If I update over the top it works but priority for most devices in QoS stays at low, which is not helpful for gaming consoles etc, but oddly four out of eleven device's let me change them to what they are not n/a and 'other'  The rest cause a blank page with that error or just a blank page. Returning to the vulnerable previous firmware removes all these errors but thats not a great idea. Hope that helps as it seems to be a bug Netgear have introduced that affects a few Nighthawks.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 20 of 45
xnsys
Luminary

Re: R9000 x10 Firmware 1.0.2.52 Device issues

The R9000 has so many issues currently that makes it not of merchantable quality.

You would thing that by buying Netegears "flagship" router that you would have everything working as you would expect...These are the issues I've found.

And for the record I did install the latest firmware and also did a factory reset - twice.

1. Like others I see no option to disable the 60Ghz range - but only sometimes - it's completely random as to when it wants to show itself, and when it does it doesn't always stick if you select to disable the 60Ghz range.

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 7.37.29 PM.png

2.  The router (and would appear other netgears suffer from this too) doesn't broadcast the country code, this has caused some Apple, IBM Thinkpads and high-end Dell laptops to reconnect from waking up - annoying to users as they have to select their wireless network.

3. The 5GHz range is dire, the signal strength is there but it's not allowing full transfer speed when compared to other wireless routers (Cisco 3801i / Apple AirPort Extreme AC and TP-Link Talon AD7200 - each of which out performed the Netgear hands down, and were similar in performance to each other) - Even the older N Airport Extreme out performed the Netgear at distance when transferring files to a server. - the Rx speed is fine though, just the Tx speed...

4. Like mentioned below, (I just tried it), getting the 400 error when trying to set device names - so that's a new bug by the sounds of it.

5. the 2.4Ghz range is reporting itself to be 802.11ac (which is impossible!) not 802.11b/g/n.  This is just sloppy programming in the firmware... 

Given how long that Netgear take between firmware releases, you would think that they would have time to perform a proper quality control...

And to be honest, looking at the list of "issues" these are all a fairly easy fix - it just seems that Netgear cannot be bothered, and taking a screw the customers attitude.

The bit that makes me laugh is where they say that it's suitable for very large homes - my tests reveal it isn't...

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 8.03.11 PM.png

This is the thread where I've performed the real-world tests against other routers.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-NightHawk-X10-initial-findings-firmwar...

Message 21 of 45
guate6
Luminary

I'm having the same 400 error. I was able to change names via the genie app, but I'm more interested in the priority, which you can only do through the browser interface. Please advise.

Message 22 of 45
MikePA1
Luminary

I changed some names via the Genie app on my phone, now no devices show via the web interface. The router knows how many devices are attached, but when i click on Attached Devices, none are listed.

Message 23 of 45
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have noticed on the R7800 it does not like some 63 character ASCII passwords, maybe it does not like some symbols or counts them as two maybe, who knows but if you enter it you get the same 400 error, but install firmware over the top and it works which is odd. I had a netgear contact at smallnetbuilder see the issue for himself, so he is talking to engineering. I was wondering if any R9000 users here are using 63 character ASCII password's? Just seeing if there is a common denominator.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 24 of 45
Jessegodsey
Luminary

Here is another bug:

I am noticing I cannot change the NTP server in the Advanced Settings, Administration to point to anything other than the default Netgear NTP that is already in there.  If you try and set an external Primary NTP server for clock sync and then click Apply, it does not save it or adjust anything.

Message 25 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 44 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E