Re: Firmware 1.0.2.52 Device issues

russauld
Luminary

I don't use a particularly long password. I'm using an R8900.

Message 26 of 45
russauld
Luminary

Re: NTP settings,

What I noticed is that I cannot change the time zone on the router. Everything seems to be US-West

Message 27 of 45
Davidoo
Luminary

I also now have the 60kHz light bug that I did not have in the .40 firmware. I've turned the 60ghz radio off numerous times in the Advanced Wireless tab. The light goes off as it should. Five minutes later it is back on by itself.
Message 28 of 45
Davidoo
Luminary

...And I also have the bug where you can't name the devices.  When you select the device, it brings up the screen to name it, and it actually puts in the correct icon.  For example, if I type in Android, I can select android phone and it puts in an icon for a phone.  When you click to apply, it doesn't save the information.  This is just sloppy firmware.  Since I'm still under warranty will Netgear accept a return since so many functions don't work?

Message 29 of 45
MikePA1
Luminary

Since I'm still under warranty will Netgear accept a return since so many functions don't work?

I doubt anyone here knows. Call support and ask for an RMA.

Message 30 of 45
MikePA1
Luminary

Re: R9000 x10 Firmware 1.0.2.52 Device issues

xnsys' post  is a great summary of the issues associated with the .52 firmware. While I am guilty of a 'me too' post, it'd be great if new posts reviewed xnsys' post and only reported new problems.

Message 31 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Davidoo wrote:

Since I'm still under warranty will Netgear accept a return since so many functions don't work?

In the EU you can by law, as it would be classed as "unfit for purpose" or "not as described", Netgear also would have "A duty of care" to uphold the warranty, by EU/UK Law. But you would have to take it up with a leagl professional as Netgear would refuse to refund for faulty hardware/firmware or even fix it free after their 90 day free tech support (again, not vailid in the EU/UK under warranty laws)

Have fun

Message 32 of 45
MikePA1
Luminary

Good grief. Involve lawyers??? Really????

Treat this like any other purchase you are not happy with.

1. Try and return it where you purchased it.

2. Call Netgear support, describe your problem(s), open a case with them. If they cannot resolve it to your satisfaction

3. Indicate you'd like to return it or have it replaced.

4. Odds are, if you did not purcahse it directly from Netgear, they are not going to allow you to return it.

P.S.

Am I happy with the problems? Of course not. Neither am I treating it like it's the end of the world. I believe Netgear will eventually fix these problems. 

Message 33 of 45
Davidoo
Luminary

When I half jokingly asked of I could return my X10 because of functions that don't work I certainly didn't advocate getting lawyers involved. It does seem though that these bugs could have easily been discovered with just a couple of hours testing. I also agree they will probably fix the issues with further updates eventually. The problem with this is that the product will probably be near the end of its support or product life by that time and we all spent around $500 for something that never really worked right during its prime.
Message 34 of 45
xnsys
Luminary

Problem has been, a lot of these issues have been around in previous versions of firmware - all that seems to happen is that a new release comes along, tries to fix things that none of were aware needed fixing, and in the process break bits that were working.

I'm sure they will fix the issues with this router eventually, but it will probably be EOL by the time they do and something bigger and better will be on the market by then.

Message 35 of 45
MikePA1
Luminary

When something better comes along, I will not be buying another Netgear product. Kind of sad, because I have been using their products for years, ever since WiFi became a practical alternative to running Ethernet cable. 

Message 36 of 45
xnsys
Luminary

Well, Netgear have lost quite a few sales because of their attitude, and they only have themselves to blame.

I was requested to provide several key-memebers the ability to work from home, and we were looking at solutions that could share printers, and have a decent enough Wi-Fi signal that could cut the mustard.

I have a reputation, and thankfully I didn't deploy Netgear otherwise my reputation would have been in ruins, Netgear has become a shoddy, good for nothing company who are great at manufacturing paper-weights.

Support is a joke - they closed the call saying that "a new firmware will fix it", eh no the call is not closed as you haven't fixed my, and many others issues - no mention as to timescale for when this new firmware will be released, or even what the fix will be - apart from that it will fix my issues.

Not only do I feel that Netgear has produced a shoddy bit of hardware/firmware - their support team will fob you off too.

I never did send the device back, because I'm having more fun demonstrating to potential clients and other fellow IT professionals why we won't be recommending netgear.

The other thing I've learnt, always be wary of a company that keeps their twitter feed locked down - can't have all the angry customers causing problems now can we...

Message 37 of 45
MikePA1
Luminary

Given that all people are different, the other thing I do not do is take things like this personally. It's strictly business. If a vendor's product or service works, I keep using them. If they do not, I find something that does work. In some situations, that's not possible, but it is in this case. You'd think that all companies would have recognized by now, at least ones that do not have a monoply, that it's extremely easy to lose a customer and very hard to get them back. 

There is no such thing as a perfect product. There will be problems. It's how the company responds that solidifies the customer relationship or breaks it. These problems are a prime example of the latter, not the former.

Message 38 of 45
xnsys
Luminary

There should be something as simple as a perfect product, there is no reason why there shouldn't be.

Unfortunately, what we have here is a device that promises to be a reliable, long-range Wi-Fi router, and unfortunately it can only get the Wi-Fi router partially correct.

Other devices on the market seem to be able to manage this, and I would have thought that this level of functionality of Netgears core business - if they can't get that right....

It's not just the R9000's that are having issues - the internet is awash with R7000 overheating issues.

Netgear need to pull something out of the bag to resolve this before many more customers find greener grass on the other side.

Message 39 of 45
MikePA1
Luminary

As long as humans are involved in making products, they will never be perfect. 🙂

Message 40 of 45
Jessegodsey
Luminary

That is understandable for sure, however, there is such a thing as Quality Control and QA, etc..  I would think that the basics of some of these bugs are very easy to test and reproduce, especially considering some are within the GUI itself and things not working as expected.

Message 41 of 45
available4only1
Luminary

Something flaky is going on with this router and I'm not going to waste my time..I'm taking this R9000 back and getting something else..

Regards to every one on community members ..Smiley Sad

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 42 of 45
available4only1
Luminary

Something flaky is going on with this router and I'm not going to waste my time..I'm taking this R9000 back and getting something else..

Regards to every one on community members ..Smiley Sad

Message 43 of 45
xnsys
Luminary

Looks like we have a new area to the forum

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming/ct-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming

I've posted there a question - lets see if we get any replies, or if the question gets deleted!

Message 44 of 45
Jessegodsey
Luminary

Looks like we have a new firmware release and it fixes the issue with not being able to rename attached devices now as well as some other bug fixes.  But the NTP server setting does still not work as far as being able to manually set it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-Smart-Connect-Firmware-1-0-3-6-Guest-N...

Message 45 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 44 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E