Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Check Error

tdunham
Tutor

Firmware Check Error

I am using the app, and unable to update my firmware. Bought the router new 6 mos ago, and haven't been able to run an update, so I'm still on 1.02.46. Any advice on how to get the update functioning? I get a "firmware check error" each time.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: Firmware Check Error

Updates are always recommended over a wired connection using the WebGUI at http://192.168.1.1 - do not use crappy apps and certainnly no wifi either. Firmware updates are delicate processes. The tiniest interruption and you end up with a bricked router

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
tdunham
Tutor

Apologies. Found the manual, followed the instructions. updated via web. no idea why the app won't work, but atleast im updated now!

Message 2 of 6
labatt
Mentor

Just FYI. The app update process is a good way to soft brick the router. Then have to go through the pain of a tftp process so do not do it.

Best way, is read the user manual and do a manual update which is connect a PC/MAC to the  router via Ethernet connection. 

Message 3 of 6
microchip8
Master

Updates are always recommended over a wired connection using the WebGUI at http://192.168.1.1 - do not use crappy apps and certainnly no wifi either. Firmware updates are delicate processes. The tiniest interruption and you end up with a bricked router

Message 4 of 6
tdunham
Tutor

May I ask what a 'bricked' router is? I see that note all over the forum, and not sure what that exactly refers to, other than it's obviously not good. 

Message 5 of 6
microchip8
Master

A bricked router is one that has gone through a failed firmware upgrade and won't operate anymore as it should. Depending on how it got bricked (what actually happened), it'll either go into a boot-loop (start over and over again) or it will just go "dead" and not respond to anything any more. A bricked router can be usually recovered using TFTP flashing but in some cases you may need to open it up and connect to serial line to de-brick it

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7