Re: Firmware Security Update failed and now my router won't work

larbear22
Aspirant

Firmware Security Update failed and now my router won't work

I received an email about a security update and attempted to update my firmware using the Nighthawk app. The update doesn't seem to have installed correctly as now I get a sequence of different lights going on (amber power light for about a minute, followed by the wifi light, and then other lights turning on for various flashes - and then following nothing but the amber light. The process repeats itself. I tried reseting the router and still have the same result. I'm not able to access wifi even though the networks (netgear & my home network) show up briefly during this process but then disappear before I'm connected. Any ideas of how to fix it?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

@larbear22 wrote:

I get a sequence of different lights going on (amber power light for about a minute, followed by the wifi light, and then other lights turning on for various flashes - and then following nothing but the amber light.

The flashing amber power LED is a sign that the firmware flash failed. This means that you are now in painful territory and may have to resort to something called TFTP.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That is a bit out of date in that it does not tell you that Windows has a TFTP function built in, you just have to enable it.

• Control Panel
  • Programs and Features
  • Turn Windows features on or off
  • TFTP client - enable   

That's probably easier than retrieving software from a website.

TFTP is a "command line" utility. In Windows it runs from a Command Prompt window. Get there with Winkey + R and enter cmd. Then TFTP.

To write the firmware to the device you need to type in something like:

TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 put {firmware}

where {firmware} is the name of the firmware file you retrieved.

Put the firmware in a directory you can get at, and run TFTP from there.

You can also find various "how to do it" guides on the internet.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
larbear22
Aspirant

thank you!

Message 3 of 4

Good luck. Hope it works out.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E