Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Update 1.3.1.44 Deleted account information

wvboomer
Aspirant

Firmware Update 1.3.1.44 Deleted account information

I was finally able to update my NightHawk router to Firmware Update 1.3.1.44, using my computer, not my mobile device. With mobile device, I was never able to reboot the router. Now that I was able to reboot router, my product registration information with Netgear was deleted. I attempted to re-register my router, but to no avail. Now, I am unable to use Armor security, which was a part of the update. And, with the lousy 90 day support, Netgear gives, I can't even contact them to correct my account, to allow me to move on.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Boomer 

Believe you are referring to the R7000P

When you perform a FW update, regardless of the method, Auto Check and Update, Genie for windows, Genie for iOS / Android or manual update, the upload triggers a restart after the FW is upgraded.  There is no required step for you to restart the router.  A restart occurs as part of the upgrade.  If the upgrade were to fail, this would leave the router in a unstable and likely non/semi functioning state.  The router would remain in a unstable condition until it was restarted and may still required further intervention to operate normally again.  I'd say this happened in your case.  I recommend that you reset your device and reconfigure.  If you notice any abnormal behavior,  I would perform the manual FW update (completely safe to flash the same version over itself) again and reset.    

The important part to take away here is the method to employ for update.  Manual update from a computer connected via ethernet is the safest and most reliable way to upgrade FW.  Seems you have figured this out on your own.  Upgrades should be planned and performed on your terms. 

Your experience attempting to upgrade via a mobile device demonstarates wh yemploying manual updates is best.

Armor?  Don't bother.  Not worth it.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

Boomer 

Believe you are referring to the R7000P

When you perform a FW update, regardless of the method, Auto Check and Update, Genie for windows, Genie for iOS / Android or manual update, the upload triggers a restart after the FW is upgraded.  There is no required step for you to restart the router.  A restart occurs as part of the upgrade.  If the upgrade were to fail, this would leave the router in a unstable and likely non/semi functioning state.  The router would remain in a unstable condition until it was restarted and may still required further intervention to operate normally again.  I'd say this happened in your case.  I recommend that you reset your device and reconfigure.  If you notice any abnormal behavior,  I would perform the manual FW update (completely safe to flash the same version over itself) again and reset.    

The important part to take away here is the method to employ for update.  Manual update from a computer connected via ethernet is the safest and most reliable way to upgrade FW.  Seems you have figured this out on your own.  Upgrades should be planned and performed on your terms. 

Your experience attempting to upgrade via a mobile device demonstarates wh yemploying manual updates is best.

Armor?  Don't bother.  Not worth it.  
Message 2 of 6
wvboomer
Aspirant

You are right, it is an R7000P. They just don't offer the option of selecting the correct router. As to the FW update, it took hold, but I contacted Netgear Technical support, even though their 90 day warranty was up. I figured the lost account information, shouldn't be a part of a 90 day issue. Come to find out, they are transferring account information to a new system or some such thing and mine got caught in the crossfire. They are expected to correct this, but I was told unless I spend $89-299 for their technical support, I won't get anymore 'complimentary' support. Not too impressed by their way of handling these issues.

However, I do appreciate your response and timeliness of it. Thanks again!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6

Appreciate your feedback and am glad to hear you might get your trial re-instated.  Thank You again!  

Message 4 of 6

@wvboomer wrote:

.... I was told unless I spend $89-299 for their technical support, I won't get anymore 'complimentary' support.

That's not Netgear, but Gearhead, which has a contract deal with Netgear. Whoever runs it, that price is a ripoff. This place is cheaper, as in free.

Message 5 of 6

@shadowsports
Armor? Don't bother. Not worth it.

I'm with @shadowsports. A ripoff for anyone who is reasonably tech savvy.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7