Highlighted
Follower

Firmware Update just Ruined my R7000P

My internet went out so I did the usual:

1. Reset the Fiberoptic modem
  2. Reset the R7000p router
  3. Check for a connection on attached devices - nothing
  4. Connect to the R7000P via ethernet & laptop - UI works
  5. Plug the ethernet line from the fiberoptic modem into my laptop - Success!  Wicked fast.
  6. Plug the very same cable back into the R7000P - "No connection" claims the router

So I called the ISP.  I started to tell the guy what happened and he stopped me in my tracks and said, "Do you have a Nighthawk router?"

I said, "Yes... Why?"

He said, "Man we've been getting calls all day about Nighthawk routers.  It seems Netgear pushed out a firmware update and bricked a bunch of routers."  - This was on 4/5/2020 around 4:15pm EDT.  The auto-update had taken place while I was out of the house.  I had internet this morning.  But not since the update.

I can log into the modem with an ethernet line.  I did a factory reset.  Still no connection.

I downloaded an older firmware version (V1.3.1.44_10.1.23) and successfully downgraded the firmware.  Then I did another factory reset with the older firmware installed.  Checked for a connection - nothing.

I don't know what else to try.  I'm working from home in the middle of COVID-19 and these guys just ruined my router.  It's not like I can just jaunt on down to Best Buy and pick one up.  They're locked down!  Curbside pickup only and their online inventory isn't synced to the store's inventory - not up to the minute.  I shouldn't have to deal with this.  The router is only 6 months old but like most people, I don't know where the receipt is.  That was 6 months ago.

Ideas?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted

Re: Firmware Update just Ruined my R7000P

@NetBrick wrote:

He said, "Man we've been getting calls all day about Nighthawk routers.  It seems Netgear pushed out a firmware update and bricked a bunch of routers."  - This was on 4/5/2020 around 4:15pm EDT.  The auto-update had taken place while I was out of the house.  I had internet this morning.  But not since the update.

Sound like a good urban myth, and a way of passing the buck, but it is probably what is known technically as tosh.

Had there been a flood of dead R7000Ps, believe me we would have heard about it here. Interestingly, there was an update to the R7000 (not the same thing) last week, but nearly all of the reports have been praise for the things the new firmware has fixed. Some continuing issues, but no newly dead routers.

There has been no new firmware update for the R7000P, if that is what you own. I checked because I have just set up mine again. There hasn't been an update since last June.

A couple of possibilities, you did not restart the network in the specified order.

@NetBrick wrote:
  • Plug the very same cable back into the R7000P - "No connection" claims the router

That is not the way to do it and is almost guaranteed to break your network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Another possibility is that your factory reset wiped out an important bit of the configuration. For example, if the R7000P was in AP mode, then the reset will have put it back into router mode.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I tried to update the firmware on my NightHawkAC2300 Router this past Saturday (4/11/20) and bricked it.  I have had this router for a couple years and have updated the firmware previously with no issues, but I haven't done it in many months. I have received many emails suggesting that I update it due to various issues like security issues so I finally decided to do it.  I am so sorry I did.

I spent over an hour with BB Geak Squad Tech Support - we tried everything to bring it back - it's still a brick!  The power light blinks amber and the two lights correxponding to the two ethernet cables attached to my computers are also lit.  WiFi, Etherner, and direct login to the router does not work - it is fried!

I can't be the only one this has happened to.  This is very disappointing.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Sensei

> I tried to update the firmware [...]

Starting your own thread for your own problem would have better than
camping on this thread.

> [...] we tried everything to bring it back [...]

If you actually tried "everything", then your situation is obviously
hopeless.  If you actually tried only many things, and my psychic powers
are too weak to guess what they might have been, then there may still be
a chance.

> [...] The power light blinks amber [...]

You may be a candidate for the TFTP recovery scheme.  See, for
example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

Did the update this morning and bricked my router. What a piece of junk....time to move on sick of this crap with this stupid router!

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted

@Chazutx wrote:

Did the update this morning and bricked my router. What a piece of junk....time to move on sick of this crap with this stupid router!

See above.

When you have digested that:

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

My new ASUS AC3100 not only worked straight outta the box...it got slightly above my 600mbps speeds where as on multiple firmware versions i not only could hold my 5g signal...i couldn’t get above 300mbps right next to the damn router. So I agree with many posters time to move on...glad I did.
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had a similar situation. 

My router was acting up with new devices trying to connect.  I reset the modem, which it was blinking orange.  I followed the tftp process to load the updated firmware.  It was successful.  When I plugged in and setup the settings back to the way they were for all the devices just to connect to orginal SSID.  The router froze.  I did a hard reset and now no lights turn on.  It only lasted me a year. Bye $200. 

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted

@Casperino wrote:

I reset the modem, which it was blinking orange. 

Hard to understand what was "blinking orange".Is that before or after the reset? And which light?

If it was the power LED, then the firmware has somehow become corrupt. But in that case it would have stopped working altogether, with no Internet connection, and not just "acting up with new devices trying to connect". 

@Casperino wrote:

When I plugged in and setup the settings back to the way they were for all the devices just to connect to orginal SSID.  The router froze.  I did a hard reset and now no lights turn on. 

I wonder if this thing was on its way out, which would explain the original problems.

Depending on where you are, you may have a warranty claim. The US is especially bad at consumer protection, one year and that's it, but something like this should last longer. Laws in other countries, especially in Europe, take precedence over Netgear's claims.

First, though, check that it isn't the power supply that has thrown a wobbly. These are standard things. If you have something that delivers the right volts, polarity and enough amps it would be worth a try.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote

Hard to understand what was "blinking orange".Is that before or after the reset? And which light?

If it was the power LED, then the firmware has somehow become corrupt. But in that case it would have stopped working altogether, with no Internet connection, and not just "acting up with new devices trying to connect". 

Blinking Orange was the power light and it was after the reset because new devices were not able to connect to the device.  I did the TFTP update to correct the corrupted software. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

I wonder if this thing was on its way out, which would explain the original problems.

Depending on where you are, you may have a warranty claim. The US is especially bad at consumer protection, one year and that's it, but something like this should last longer. Laws in other countries, especially in Europe, take precedence over Netgear's claims.

First, though, check that it isn't the power supply that has thrown a wobbly. These are standard things. If you have something that delivers the right volts, polarity and enough amps it would be worth a try.

I did check the power supply, right voltage and polarity.  Amps are also at what is printed on the device.  What haspens now when you plug in is the power light is off and the internet and port 3 are glowing faintly.  Nothing is to say that it has actually turned on. I plugged a ethernet cable in and ping the router to see if I get anything, but nothing.  

Message 10 of 10