Firmware issues

junilion
Guide

Firmware issues

Hi All, 

I am thinking why dont we just ditch any firmware by netgear and just kind of do a crowdfunding or monthly / annual subscription for Voxel to create firmware for the Nighthawk devices.  

What do you guys think about this? I suppose we could get better communication and firmware development done by Voxel. 

I am currently struggling with static routes on netgear, its just not being accepted, done lots of firmware but nothing worked. was still getting WiFi drop outs and that was solved by Voxel. 

I am in no way affliated with Voxel, just a concerned Nighthawker!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Re: Firmware issues

I heard that NETGEAR outsources firmware development to DNI (Delta Networks, Inc). If this is true, no wonder that it has the most crappy firmware out of all home router brands. Even D-Link offers better firmware but is plagued by security issues

it's such a shame because I really like NG hardware. And no shouting for years at them about the state of their firmware has made any difference. They're aware of the problems, they just don't care to fix them. For example, it is shameful for an almost pure-play networking company like NG to not offer basic networking features in its router firmwares; features like DHCP lease time

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 6
junilion
Guide

This is the thing when issues like these fall on deaf ears, its usually better to dont even bother with them and we can just build and improvise on issues like these. 

Obviously there are very heavily talented people out there and why not focus on helping them and we get better options. Even if we pay like $2 / month maybe Voxel can help us. 

Message 3 of 6
microchip8
Master

Well, Voxel accepts donations and many have donated so far I'm sure. The problem is that his firmware is considered 3rd party one despite building on top of official. This means the moment you load it, you violate warranty and if something goes wrong and you can't fix it, NG won't bother with you at all due to violation

Best would be if NG hired Voxel full-time as he seems to know what he's doing and understands the whole structure and process of the official firmware... Voxel is basically RMerlin for NETGEAR Smiley Happy

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@junilion, you have a noble idea and on the surface it sounds good. However, besides the warranty issue, and one (in the US at least) does have a 1 year h/w warranty (more in other regions), and putting 3rd party on before that could void said warranty (if NG can determine you did it?).

I'm more worried about security, and I don't mean outside threats that attack the router. I mean burried in the router firmware. No offense meant to Voxel at all, but it could be done. Your recourse would be non-existent probably. NG or its vendor do that, law suit city.

Same could be said for all the 3rd party firmware.

Also, there is the part about licensed code imbedded in the firmware. I think it was some chipset code or possibly the Smart Connect code, I forgot, but unless the 3rd party could secure a license to it, you might have a problem that could not be fixed.

I played with DD-WRT a few years ago on an R7000. It worked, but I felt it was slower than the NG version on wireless. Testing showed to me it was 10% slower when I restored the NG f/w. Might have been the licensed code, I do not recall. Also logging was not including in DD-WRT. I had to get a script and load it (which also slowed it down) to get logging. I understand that was included and fixed later.

While it might work for a majority, it is quite possible all NG functions are not included or work slower. Only true testing by a set of users could confirm that it is 100% compatible. Disney Circle comes to mind for instance.

Not saying it isn't a bad idea, but there are 'things' and exposures that need to be looked at.

Again, my main concern would be injected code that could cause harm (which may not happen but it could).

Message 5 of 6
myersw
Master

@microchip8 wrote:

Best would be if NG hired Voxel full-time as he seems to know what he's doing and understands the whole structure and process of the official firmware... Voxel is basically RMerlin for NETGEAR Smiley Happy

As I understand it, Asus is making in harder for RMerlin as they are putting more and more into binary blobs and at times blocking him from source for a particular router. I believe a similar thing is happening to VoxelToo bad in both cases as both are very good at router firmware fixing and improving things.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E