Firmware update 1.0.11.106 for R7000

WouterO
Guide

Firmware update 1.0.11.106 for R7000

New firmware is out, see subject. Who dares to install this version on his or her r7000 and comment on its behavior?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 44
microchip8
Master

Re: Firmware update 1.0.11.106 for R7000

Why don't you do it?

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: v1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 2 of 44
CDCBR3
Guide

Not a chance, 

previous firmware for the R8000 really borked by router and stopped my Apple devices working on wifi

So, no, you go ahead.

Message 3 of 44
plemans
Guru

I've read a few posts on here from users who've tried it.
Sadly, its been like prior versions. For some it works fine. Others have issues. And there's no telling which you're going to get without trying it.
Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
also in AP setup: RAXE500->EAX80
1.4gig download/50mbps upload from Xfinity
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 4 of 44
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@WouterO wrote:

New firmware is out, see subject. Who dares to install this version on his or her r7000 and comment on its behavior?

@plemans @CDCBR3 @microchip8 

Downloaded and upgraded firmware from v.104 to v.106 on 30/7/20. As usual, no issues whatsoever for me, I haven't had a single issue with any of the firmwares that Netgear have pushed out over the last 3 months.

It's been mentioned in another thread, but there's a thinking that this issue with firmware could be very country specific. I'm in the UK and my router was built in March 2019 and it shipped with v.64 firmware. It has been suggested that routers for the UK market are somehow 'different' to the routers marketed in the US. Personally, I can't see it because as far as I know, they're all made in the same factory in Vietnam.

The only issue I've encountered, is that when I run Bitdefender Home Scanner, it reports every time that my R7000 is 'High risk, HTTP uses an insecure authentication procedure'. Other than that, I just can't complain about the R7000, it's leagues above my previous ISP router.

Message 5 of 44
ahamel25
Aspirant

I'm having a lots of issue with the new firmware.  Yesterday, I lost the wifi completely, no wifi lights on the FW.  I try changing everything in the wifi to force a restart, reboorted many times, it didn't work.  I had to factory reset it.  Today, wifi is out again, this time a reboot did the trick.  Sounds like my FW is now unstable.

Message 6 of 44
WouterO
Guide

@microchip8 wrote:

Why don't you do it?

Simple: my R7000 is stable and functions perfectly on 1.9.42 for many months now without any issues. I need my home network these days for my work and don't dare to gamble with new releases. Nevertheless, I'd like to have the security issues solved.

Message 7 of 44

Hello,

I performed a reset and update using wired LAN and the router is performing with no issues. This is discussed in the Netgear community in this post.

Message 8 of 44
WouterO
Guide

Thanks for your reaction. I very well know the procedures for safe updating. Despite that, the firmware releases are not always stable as many visitors of this forum know.

@SecureRouters wrote:

Hello,

I performed a reset and update using wired LAN and the router is performing with no issues. This is discussed in the Netgear community in this post.

Message 9 of 44
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@WouterO wrote:

Thanks for your reaction. I very well know the procedures for safe updating. Despite that, the firmware releases are not always stable as many visitors of this forum know.

@SecureRouters wrote:

Hello,

I'm afraid I'm of the opinion that actually this has very little to do with unstable firmware releases because otherwise, why would many other R7000 AC1900 owners have no problems at all?

Perhaps the insight provided in the following thread has more credence:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/UPDATED-6-26-20-Important-Security-Advisory-...

Message 10 of 44
jake29524
Aspirant

I installed the firmware.  I noticed extremely poor download performance and latency.  Reverted back to v1.0.11.100_10.2.100.

Message 11 of 44

Hello,

An update on our experience.

We've been using version .106 for 10 days with no issues (no reboots, consistent speed, low latency, no dropouts).

I had flashed the router several times for the .102 and .104 hot fixes with a reboot prior to flash. In the case of .106, I reset to default prior to flash which is likely not necessary but I took the extra steps for the final release version.

Message 12 of 44
labatt
Mentor

@SecureRouters wrote:

Hello,

An update on our experience.

We've been using version .106 for 10 days with no issues (no reboots, consistent speed, low latency, no dropouts).

I had flashed the router several times for the .102 and .104 hot fixes with a reboot prior to flash. In the case of .106, I reset to default prior to flash which is likely not necessary but I took the extra steps for the final release version.

The reset may have been the secret to your working fine. With updates there can be configure issues with the old configuration on a new firmware. Reset is suggested whenever there is an issue with new firmware. 

Message 13 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

I flashed V1.0.11.106_10.2.100 into my R7000 after a reset to the default configuration.  I manually entered my configuration (not using the .cfg file).  Everything seems to be working OK except that my R7000 stopped emailing its logs on the daily schedule I've always had set (midnight).  The log file doesn't even indicate an attempt at sending an email at midnight.  Changing the time from midnight to any other time doesn't help.  However sending logs manually with the "Send Now" button works and if I set the schedule to "Hourly", the R7000 emails its logs correctly every hour.  

I'm hesitating to roll back the FW since this was a security-related update and I need to use my R7000's Remote Management feature.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Message 14 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

FYI - The new bug in V1.0.11.106 makes "Service Blocking" and "Send Logs Schedule" always operate on GMT instead of operating (as they should) on the Time Zone set in Advanced/Administration/NTP Settings.

This is weird because the "Current Time" indicated just above the NTP setting is correct and Log's time stamps are correct.

The Work-Around is easy:  I want my Logs emailed Daily at midnight, so under Advanced/Security/E-Mail, I now need to set "Send Logs" to 5:00 am instead of 12:00 am. (My time zone here in Florida is EST so my NPT is set to GMT-05:00).

Other than this new bug, V1.0.11.106 has been stable for me for several days.

Message 15 of 44
LugNet
Aspirant

I upgraded my R7000 to 1.0.11.106 yesterday and it had to be rebooted every few hours.

I've gone back to 1.0.9.42 as it was the last firmware version that is stable on my R7000.

In the past, I spent time reverting to factory default before installing newer versions (even with intermediant versions). My R7000 was just as unstable with firmware past 1.0.9.42 as when I did a simple upgrades from 1.0.9.42.

My wife plans to buy a new system from anybody except Netgear rather than hoping Netgear will provide security fixes for the R7000 in a new, stable release.

Message 16 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

@LugNet - After going to the factory default configuration and upgrading from 1.0.9.42, do you re-enter all your settings by hand or do you use your cfg file?  I noticed that using my cfg file with some new FW versions caused my R7000 to be unstable, while entering the exact same settings by hand didn't.

Doing it by hand is a pain but saving screenshots of your settings before erasing the configuration helps.  Its as if the cfg file from one FW version corrupts the next FW version.

Message 17 of 44
racingmustang
Aspirant

Hello,

I purchased the R7000 brand new at Office Depot a few weeks ago while aware it is an older model.

I've been running FW 1.0.11.106 for a few days now with only several observed bugs.  Yes, the SEND LOGS function incorrectly uses GMT time instead of the user selected Time Zone.  My workaround for daily log schedule is to add 5 hours (for EDT) to the desired email time.

Additionally, I have found it impossible deactivate the WPS PIN.  Unchecking the box and clicking apply does not function and returns a checked box for WPS PIN function enabled.

I have not seen any significant dropping of 5Ghz for my security cameras, but this is also to some degree a function of your client devices/drivers/hardware/antennas.  I have decades PC experience and even some wired networking refuses to connect to various brands and models.  In my case, the 5Ghz is normal, but I can't say where or when exactly my internal router hardware was produced.  I am super careful about proper ventilation too.

I highly recommend rebooting router PRIOR to installing new FW as well as  resetting to default settings AFTER installing new FW.  It is a pain to hand type all my reserved DHCP addresses and settings, but surely gives the best possible outcome for these consumer grade devices.

NOTE that FW 1.0.11.100 release notes said "Fixes the system crash or out of memory issue".  This is an issue I believe I have encountered when running FW 1.0.9.88 a few weeks ago after installation.  Therefore the upgrade to 1.0.11.106 was more important for me to try.

I am always interested to hear what others discover about FW issues.

racingmustang

Message 18 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

@racingmustang- Good catch on the WPS PIN deactivation bug.  I see the same bug on my R7000 with 1.0.11.106 and also on my other R7000 (with 1.0.10.90).

1.0.11.106 continues to be solid for me with 30 attached devices (15 of them wireless).

My R7000 with 1.0.10.90 is in my other house which has been unattended for 7 months due to the virus.  It's on a UPS but crashes about once a month for no apparent reason, requiring my son to drive over to reboot it.  We're living with that inconvenience because I'm worried what might happen if I try to upgrade the FW remotely. 

Interestingly, I see that Netgear removed 1.0.10.90 from their Previous Version download list.  Not a good sign.

Message 19 of 44

Hello,

I also experienced the current error with WPS pin settings not being de-activated. I'm not sure if anyone has notified NetGear. This problem also exists in the R7800 firmware.

Note that many years ago I experienced issues with restoring from a configuration file after a firmware revision and I do not recommend using this feature after a firmware revision.

I have had no issues when entering the settings manually.

Message 20 of 44
racingmustang
Aspirant

Hello,

PRIOR to this firmware upgrade, I had several instances where my network went down even though I was still clearly connected to router with great signal.  I hoped to log into the router to see the router logs, but couldn't even reach the login page.  Next, I hoped to reach my modem admin page for the modem logs, but the router wouldn't route me there either!  Ultimately I had to PHYSICALLY reboot both the modem and the router to restore network operation, as I could not administer either device normally.

I feel like this might be an indication of the NTP hang bug reported here for version 1.0.11.100:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-100/m-p/19...

I DO NOT know if this is still an issue in the 1.0.11.106 firmware, but will be watching closely over the next few weeks to see if an NTP outage or modem outage will hang my router.  Clearly it should NEVER happen that way.

Perhaps I will be able to do some manual simlulation of this condition to get the answer faster, when my network has time available just for testing.  If anyone knows more about this issue, please share.  Thank You.

racingmustang

Message 21 of 44
racingmustang
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes, although I don't like the WPS PIN bug, it is lower on my list of priorities.  I believe it could only be exploited by a nearby WIFI hacker, rather than remotely through Internet WAN.  If true, then I'm not so worried about disabling the PIN, even though it SHOULD work as expected.

racingmustang

Message 22 of 44
labatt
Mentor

WSP PIN bug has been there for years. Do not expect a fix soon. It was there when I had a r8000 a couple of years ago, which I sold and moved on to another vendor due to ongoing firmware issues.

Message 23 of 44
kobewan
Aspirant

Created an account just to give my 2cents.  Owned this router for over a year, and had issues with dropped signals over the last 9 months.  Like others, found that v42 firmware was the most stable and kept using it.  Because of recent security concern, I decided to do an update with the latest firmware. If the upgrade failed, I would consider buying a new router that wasn't netgear.

Not techie by any means, but this is what worked for me:

I downloaded the firmware and did a manual update to the firmware.  Immediately after the firmware update, do a factory reset by using a pin to press the button on the back of the router.  After a factory reset, the router shouldn't have any dropped connections.  It's been 3 days since I updated the firmware, and everything has been very very stable. I run a wifi baby cam overnight, and the connection has not dropped.

I tried updating without a factory reset, and within minutes there were dropped wifi connections.  It seems that a factory reset after a firmware update is key.

This is just my experience and testing over the last few days. I wanted to share this with others also frustrated with this POS router, and who are also concerned with the security vulerablities. 

Message 24 of 44
yddtime
Luminary

@kobewan How many devices are on your network? I have found in my testing that the router becomes unstable after some threshold for number of connected devices. For me it was around 20 - 25. I suspect the new firmware with the additional revenue generating features puts a strain on resources.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E