Re: Firmware update 1.0.11.106 for R7000

kobewan
Aspirant

I have about 30 to 35 devices connected. Mostly smart home devices like lights, cameras, etc. No issues with performance. Only issue is constant dropped connection with 5ghz.
Message 26 of 44
yddtime
Luminary

I have 40 devices and when I was testing I noticed the first 20 - 25 devices connect without problem but after that the WiFi was unstable.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 27 of 44
kobewan
Aspirant

The firmware version in question is in the subject line. Don't be so dense.
Message 28 of 44
yddtime
Luminary

That was not my reply, That's just something in my signature left over from way back. I keep forgetting to change it as I don't come here much anymore.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 29 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

The GMT bug I reported above temporarily disappeared and then returned!   After running with the work-around described above, my logs were being emailed to me at midnight ET but specified to be sent at 5 am ET.  A couple days ago they were emailed to me at 5 am ET (bug gone!), so I fooled around with different log send times and the bug returned.

There's no doubt the R7000 FW has been and continues to be flaky.  I, like others here have hung in there hoping the bugs will be fixed.

On the brighter side, my R7000 with '106 FW has been solid for 10 days (other than the GMT bug).  I'm running 8 devices on 2.4 ghz WiFi, 8 devices on 5 ghz WiFi and 16 devices hard wired.

To be sure I'm not failing to notice any dropouts, I set up a PingInfoView test (every 15 sec) through the R7000 between my two laptops (one wired and one on 5ghz WiFi).  I'll leave it running 24/7 to know for sure how solid it is and I'll report back with the results.

Message 30 of 44
LugNet
Aspirant

I tried 11.106 again. I used a paperclip to reset to factory defaults, rebooted, applied the firmware, reset to factory defaults again, rebooted, manually entered all my settings.

Now the router works for more than a day, once making it to six day, before slowing down, losing services, and has to be power cycled.

Not impressed. Will have to go back to 9.42 to have a stable router again.

Love this router up to firmware 9.42. Haven't been able to depend on my R7000 with any newer firmware. Given that experience, why buy a new Netgear router and chance the Netgear firmware being better on another device?

Time to research a secure replacement for the R7000, and leave Netgear out.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 31 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

My R7000 with '106 FW has been running solid now for 18 days (other than the GMT bug).  The last 8 of those days was with an automatic ping over my 5 Ghz WiFi every 15 sec (using PingInfoView).  There hasn't been one missed ping.  While the ping test was running, I was also on several long international MS teams video conf calls that were solid. 

Message 32 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

@LugNet - Do you have QoS or the Traffic Meter enabled?  If so, try running with them both off.

Message 33 of 44

Hello,

I installed the latest firmware on July 31 and have not had to reboot. I realize I am fortunate and I have owned this router for almost six years (original hardware version). I do not use Smart Connect, QoS, or Traffic Analyzer and essentially use only defaults other than I shut off UPNP and I do not use the USB features. If you are able to turn off some features, hopefully it will help your performance and stability. I too am in the market for another router, but I'm hoping this lasts a little longer. I purchased a used R7800 as a backup, it has great performance but likely has a hardware issue because rapidly resets every couple of days (the seller said it worked "perfectly"). It looses connection and erases the log but seems to come back to life quickly so I kept it for backup and it also has the same power supply as the R7000. Good Luck with any replacements if you cannot improve your current settings.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 34 of 44
timstack
Apprentice

I've had nothing but problems with this R7000 since I purchased 3 years ago. I have 106 installed. This week I saw the router reboot before my very eyes. Notice my sound bar can't find 5ghz after the reboot happened. Ipv6 has been a nightmare. Tried .42 still have issues. I even take the time to download the firmware with a wired connection to pc.
Message 35 of 44
LugNet
Aspirant

Haven't downgraded from 106 yet.  Had to reboot twice today due to slow WiFi.

I use readyshare for a USB drive. Also, configured with guest networks for both 2.4 and 5 (different SIDs, no password). Nobody using the quest networks today.

Just changed UPnP from on to off. IPv6, QoS, Traffic Meter and most other stuff was already off.

Now to wait and see if it is more stable with UPnP off.

Message 36 of 44
Portwey84
Virtuoso

I've had v.106 installed since it's release and I haven't had a single issue since I updated the firmware, but then again, I've not had any issues with any of the firmwares released since I upgraded mine from v.64, the version it was shipped with.

It seems that most of the issues being experienced appear to be USA based R7000 users? or that is at least my perception reading through the now hundreds of posts over various threads. I'm in the UK and I repeat, I just don't have a problem with this router, so why so many others seemingly are, remains a a mystery.

I like another contributor here don't use QoS, UPnP is disabled, traffic metering off, logs disabled, auto update disabled, basically anything that could be enabled but isn't really going to affect the overall running of the router, is disabled. I also don't use the Netgear default NTP, preferring to use a more local server here in the UK. I have less than 25 devices connected, with a minimum of 19 devices connected wirelessly all of the time. 5ghz band, no problem, 2.4, no problem, Guest Network, no problem.

The question to be asked though is, are the problems users state they are suffering Netgear's fault? or are the issues localised problems, environmental issues etc? Why are some of us having no problems at all? No one it seems is able to answer the question. I can't get upset with Netgear personally because I'm not having any issues, period.

Message 37 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

Your UK/USA theory is interesting considering the intermittent GMT time bug in v.106 described above.  Anyone actually on GMT would be immune from this bug.

I wonder if setting your R7000's time zone to GMT (no matter where you're located) might prevent the R7000 SW from running a section of buggy time-calculating code that occasionally causes a crash.

Message 38 of 44
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Bill-D wrote:

Your UK/USA theory is interesting considering the intermittent GMT time bug in v.106 described above.

I wonder if setting your R7000's time zone to GMT (no matter where you're located) might prevent the R7000 SW from running a section of buggy time-calculating code that occasionally causes a crash.

I'm guessing that seeing as this forum is most likely to be heavily USA centric, that US users quite rightly, probably wouldn't want their routers to be set permanently to GMT?

I don't even know where Netgear's default NTP server is located, but I just assumed that it originates from a US based server? I noticed that when I did initially use the default NTP server, the time often crashed and wouldn't sync itself in. I then did a Google search and found a time server originating from a university in Manchester here in the UK (about 60 miles from where I live) switched to that and I've never had a time issue since.

I will freely admit, the only other issue I've had which as far as I'm concerned is a non issue, is that when I had logs activated, it would frequently report my router had been subject to DNS attacks. I subsequently disabled logging because it all seemed like horse manure to me.

As for security, I use expressvpn and Bitdefender Total Security. Netgear can keep throwing these so called security fixes in if they want, but I really don't think my router is at risk. That being said, Bitdefender Home Scanner keeps reporting that my router is at risk, despite the latest security fixes on v.106. Odd that, don't Bitdefender have something to do with Netgear Armor?......

Message 39 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

My other R7000 (now running 1.0.10.90) is located in my other house which has been unattended for 8 months due to the virus.  It's on a UPS but crashes about once a month for no apparent reason, requiring my son to drive over to reboot it.  We're living with that inconvenience because I'm worried what might happen if I try to upgrade the FW remotely. 

It just crashed today, so after my son rebooted it, I set its Time Zone to GMT instead of GMT-8 (California) to see if that makes a difference in its stability.  I also changed its NPT server from the Netgear default to time.cloudflare.com.

This Time Zone theory seems like a long shot but my unattended R7000 is conveniently situated to be test bed.  If it runs for more than one month, I'll report back.

Message 40 of 44
antinode
Guru

> My other R7000 (now running 1.0.10.90) [...]

Why?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1900901#M155834

Have you looked at the Previous Versions for an R7000 lately?  I'd
take the hint.

Message 41 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

I'm aware of v.90's bad history, but the last time I was at that house, v.90 was the latest.  Because of the virus, I've not been back there since and I'm worried what might happen if I try to upgrade it's FW remotely, so I'm living with it until I'm there in-person to upgrade it.

Message 42 of 44
Bill-D
Apprentice

Following up on my 2020-08-30 post above - I've left both my R7000s configured to GMT instead of the actual time zones where they are located (GMT-8 California and GMT-5 Florida) and they seem more stable, not having crashed or rebooted for 6 weeks.

Message 43 of 44
Boggsbs
Aspirant

R7000P Firmware Version 1.3.2.124 is out. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062114/R7000P-Firmware-Version-1-3-2-124

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E