Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update failed R7900P

beastwood
Tutor

Firmware update failed R7900P

A few days ago I tried to update the router with the new firmware (1.4.1.68), I don't remember my previous version. The update failed and while everything seemed ok at first (network traffic didn't appear to be affected). I couldn't connect to the router using either the app or the IP on a desktop.  Now 3 days later, everything has gotten progressively worse and now it will only connect to websites sometimes, but will usually time out.

I tried to reinstall the firmware update following these instructions:
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Two things were different than the instructions.  When holding down the reset button, after turning the router back on, it seemed to take quite a while (2 minutes?) for the button to start blinking and it turned white first, then started blinking. Second, I used the local area connection that was plugged into the router instead of the "Ethernet" connection.

However, when trying to load via the tftp it would only return "Connect request failed"

Anyone have any thoughts? Questions?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: Firmware update failed R7900P

@beastwood wrote:

When I try and access the router UI through either the app or the website it will just sit and spin and never load the UI, even after trying the reset.

There is no "website" as most people understand it. It is local stuff that goes nowhere near the Internet. The address is simply a way into the GUI. The failure to get into it is usually a sign of something amiss at your end.

Here is one pointer:

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies

@beastwood wrote:

A few days ago I tried to update the router with the new firmware (1.4.1.68), I don't remember my previous version. The update failed and while everything seemed ok at first (network traffic didn't appear to be affected). I couldn't connect to the router using either the app or the IP on a desktop.  Now 3 days later, everything has gotten progressively worse and now it will only connect to websites sometimes, but will usually time out.

From this description, your router is not bust enough to warrant the use of TFTP. Going down that road could do irreparable damage. I hope it hasn't happened already.

If the router works at all, then it should accept new firmware in the usual way.

I would stop playing with TFTP immediately. Try some more conventional, and less dangerous tweaks first.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Message 2 of 7
beastwood
Tutor

I actually tried to reset it first, using the method on this page:

https://kb.netgear.com/27486/R7900-FAQs

When I try and access the router UI through either the app or the website it will just sit and spin and never load the UI, even after trying the reset.

Any other suggestions? I'm at a loss.

Message 3 of 7

@beastwood wrote:

There is no "website" as most people understand it. It is local stuff that goes nowhere near the Internet. The address is simply a way into the GUI. The failure to get into it is usually a sign of something amiss at your end.

Here is one pointer:

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 7
alceryes
Tutor

Try deleting all browser cache (or using a browser you never normally use). Sometimes saved data for pages gets corrupted, causing issues.

I just updated my R7900P to v1.4.1.68. I was behind at least 2 versions. I used the router's internal update process. Everything worked perfectly and all settings were preserved.

Message 5 of 7
beastwood
Tutor

So I decided to do a factory reset, but that didn't seem to help anything.  The only thing I got was an intro screen asking if I wanted to turn on automatic updates (I said yes) and then it would just hang trying to go to the next page.  At that point I couldn't get to the UI at all, but I decided to leave the 7900 plugged into my backout router (4600) connected to the internet to see if it would update on its own and hopefully fix the problem.

Today I decided to try again and went through all of the suggested steps in the most recent link.  Nothing was working, couldn't get to the UI at all and couldn't even get a ping from the router.  I decided as a last ditch effort to try and do a factory reset again, held down the reset button for about 20 seconds (just to be good and sure).  For some reason this time it worked (5th time's the charm?) and I was able to get to the UI and start setting everything back up (all my preferences were erased). At least I'm up and running again.

@michaelkenward thanks for the suggestions.  Not sure what did it in the end, but maybe one of those helped 🙂

Message 6 of 7

@beastwood wrote:

I decided as a last ditch effort to try and do a factory reset again, held down the reset button for about 20 seconds (just to be good and sure).  For some reason this time it worked (5th time's the charm?) and I was able to get to the UI and start setting everything back up (all my preferences were erased).

That's an oldie but goodie. The Netgear instructions are not great.

Good thing you found it. 

This is another option:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements