Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update on R7000P fails

bill7x
Tutor

Firmware update on R7000P fails

I am trying to update my firmware on my R7000P from firmware 1.3.1.26 to 1.3.1.44_10.1.23 using the Nighthawk Netgear app on my iPhone 7. I go through thre process and the app says it's successfully updated. Then, it will tell me that I have new firmware available, as if it didn't take. Can you help?

the app is on my Apple 7, latest OS, at home.

thanks, B

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Don't use Apps to update something critical and sensitive as the router firmware. Use a wired PC and go to http://192.168.1.1 then update the firmware in Advanced -> Administration

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
bill7x
Tutor

one thing I've noticed is that the router does not appear to actually reboot during the process. The apps says "rebooting your router," but the router lights remain on in the usual way and internet connection continues during this "reboot," suggesting it's not rebooting.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6
microchip8
Master

Don't use Apps to update something critical and sensitive as the router firmware. Use a wired PC and go to http://192.168.1.1 then update the firmware in Advanced -> Administration

Message 3 of 6
bill7x
Tutor

Thank you for the suggestion. 
If updating firmware via the app is a bad practice, as you contend, then why tf does Netgear suggest it?

Message 4 of 6
myersw
Master

@bill7x wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. 
If updating firmware via the app is a bad practice, as you contend, then why tf does Netgear suggest it?

There are a growing number of folks that are mobile devices only so the app. 

I agree with above that the only sure way to not have update problems is to access via a Ethernet attached PC to do updates, preferly manually where they firmware has been downloaded. Too many things seem to happen when wireless is used and even more issues come up when the app on say a phone is used. 

Message 5 of 6
bill7x
Tutor

thanks for a very satisfying response to my question. I have successfully updated the firmware! I tried to do it via the app, as directed by Netgear at least 20 times over the last two weeks. That never worked. Thanks so much. You have gone way up in my estimation. Netgear, not so much.

Bill

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7