Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update

GJPL
Aspirant

Firmware update

Rec'd email to update firmware but zip file won't open.

Updated 1/11/2017 and 6/26/2017 but unable to now. How do I know what version mine is at this point?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
GJPL
Aspirant

Thanks ... I finally remembered the login for the routerlogin section..I was having trouble logging in to that area. Then I was able to search for newest version and update the firmware all right.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Where did you get the zip file? Was it included in the email or did you download it from Netgear?

The version number should be displayed at the top when you log into the router's home page.
Message 2 of 11
GJPL
Aspirant

Thanks ... I finally remembered the login for the routerlogin section..I was having trouble logging in to that area. Then I was able to search for newest version and update the firmware all right.

Message 3 of 11
upgrades
Aspirant

I received a notice of a security upgrade.  I followed the instructions and got a response that I had the current upgrade.  The version I have is 1.0.9.12_1.2.23.  I searched the site and found a newer version 1.09.14_1..2.25.  I downloaded it (zip file to my computer) and extracted the files.  One of the files extracted is named R7000-V1.0.9.14_1.2.25.chk and the file type listed is "fecovered file fragments".  Two questions.  First, why is the upgrade not detected?  Second, is the downloaded file referenced above safe to install?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 11
IrvSp
Master

Answers:

1. Yes, sometimes the latest can't be found by the router Check function, it takes a few days after release sometimes (not for everyone though).
  2. .CHK is the file extension Windows uses for CHKDKS 'fixed' disk problems that are saved as a file. The proper way to install that file is to use Genie in a Browser, Advanced Tab, Administration, Route Update, and where is says locate the file on disk, press the Browse button, locate and select that file, and then UPLOAD (same page for checking for an Update). It will then install, and you should be using a PC with an Ethernet cable connected to the router for safety.
Message 5 of 11
upgrades
Aspirant

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
minimeme
Tutor

can't enter my model number in the above line before posting this but it's the R6220. I just got the email about updated firmware also and when checking for that update in the routers interface and on the Netgear website, i get nothing!

firmware version on the netgear website is the same version as i already have installed. what the heck is up with that?

thank you

Message 7 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Looks like their front page is busted. Here is the direct link to the R6220:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6220.aspx
Message 8 of 11
minimeme
Tutor

in response to TheEther

that's the same page i got to but that firmware version is the SAME as what I have installed already

It was Last Updated:07/31/2017 | Article ID: 000045284 according to bottom of page.

Message 9 of 11
minimeme
Tutor

here's an e-mail i finally received from netgear about why i received the e-mail about new firmware when my router DOES NOT have a newer firmware:

My name is Sengo. I am contacting you regarding your inquiry about the security vulnerability email that you have received.

This email has been sent to all our Netgear customers as a reminder. We're sorry for the inconvenience. And We're currently working on the fix for this KRACK issue and a new firmware will be released soon. So please stay updated to our support.netgear.com for the new firmware release. Until a firmware fix is available for your product, NETGEAR recommends that you follow these workaround procedures:
For Wireless Routers in Bridge Mode: disable Bridge Mode or power off the bridge router. For more information, see your product’s user manual or one of the following knowledge base articles:

Message 10 of 11
minimeme
Tutor

yay! received a firmware update today. said it had 1 fix. haven't looked up what that fix is yet though.

edit:

hmm, just says

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes security issues.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7