Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware won't Update

BobtheBuilder99
Aspirant

Firmware won't Update

R7960P — Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band WiFi Router

Firmware won't update.  Autoupdate is enabled.  I have tried manual updates but after the update downloads, I'm still on Version 1.4.1.50 and have the message saying an update to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28 is available.

Firmware Update Assistant

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware? (Yes) (No)
Current Firmware Version1.4.1.50
New Firmware Version1.4.1.68_1.3.28

I have tried updating by Wifi connection and also by direct ethernet cable connection to the router.

I have tried using the Update Assistant and also downloading the file, then browsing to the file and uploading to the router.

None of these methods have worked.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware won't Update

I was able to update my 7960P while in wireless bridge mode. You might try AP or Bridge mode, see if it will manually update FW, then change back to router mode...If not, you'll need to contact NG support. 

Message 2 of 5

@BobtheBuilder99 wrote:

R7960P — Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band WiFi Router

Firmware won't update.  Autoupdate is enabled.  I have tried manual updates but after the update downloads, I'm still on Version 1.4.1.50 and have the message saying an update to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28 is available.

It isn't clear to me from your explanation how you went about the update. There is more to it than just downloading the firmware.

This is probably the most reliable, and safest, way do it.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Maybe that's what you did but, as I said, that isn't obvious to me.

Unfortunately, this router has caused update problems for other people.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – R7960P firmware

In which case, using the above approach with the suggestion from @FURRYe38 might be the solution.

Message 3 of 5
BobtheBuilder99
Aspirant

This did not work for me:   I tried setting up Bridge Mode, but that left me without a router to talk to the internet.  Next, the Nighthawk app and web browsers both would not allow access to my Nighthawk device and I was stuck.  I had to do a factory reset to regain access.

Message 4 of 5

@BobtheBuilder99 wrote:

I tried setting up Bridge Mode, but that left me without a router to talk to the internet. 

What made you do that? Bridge mode is an unnecessary waste of time.

You do not need access to the Internet to update your firmware.

Follow the instructions for a manual update. Avoid anything that involves wifi.

Download your firmware.

Disconnect the router from the network. Connect it to a PC. Then follow the update instructions.

Then reconnect the network.

It is easiest to do this after you have reset the R7960P.

As it is, I'm afraid you descriptions of what you have done are thin on details. For example, what are we to make of this?

"None of these methods have worked."

There are many way in which things "don't work". Each method has its own process and throws up its own messages. So "doesn't work" provides minimal diagnostic information.

Start here:

How do I manually update the firmware on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7