× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 43 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Master

Fix your firmware

I'll tell you what I think. Three words: fix your firmware

Introducing model after model while using the same horrible firmware damages your reputation. Plenty of people here who won't recommend NG any more no matter what new superior model they bring out

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.77SF & kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 35
Highlighted

Re: Fix your firmware

Netgear sucks!!

fix your firmware and do not charge for support after 90 days. how good is one year warranty if I have to pay to get replacement. Never again paying big bucks for netgear. 

Message 2 of 35
Highlighted

Re: Introducing The Nighthawk AX8 WiFi Router - The New Era of WiFi

on 3 year old router R7800 Netgear published two firmware versions 58 and 60 that clients lose connection. I think they do it on purpose so unexperienced users who do not know how to rollback firmware will buy new routers.

Message 3 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@PolandLinux

Unexperienced users who do not know how to do these things and encounter problems they cannot solve are hardly gonna go for the same brand, unless they're really stupid. More reputation damage for NETGEAR. There you have it

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 4 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

Have to totally agree with the others. Why on earth would Netgear even release a new router and leave the older ones with firmware that is BROKE. No Thanks not interested. Fix the ones we already spent are hard earned money and take your new junk AX routers that have no supported clients and stick them where the sun don't shine. 

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin 384.18_Alpha 1
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 5 of 35
Highlighted

Re: R7800 - Fix your firmware

Hello @microchip8@James721, and @PolandLinux,

We greatly appreciate your participation in the NETGEAR Community and the feedback that is expressed here. We are continually working to address reported issues and would like an opportunity to work with you directly.  We have moved your message to the Nighthawk community so others may benefit from this discussion. We request that you provide more details on your specific issues by replying to this thread so we can investigate the reports further.

Kind Regards,

ChristineT

Message 6 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

@ChristineT the number of apparently "new" issues is growing ten to a hundred times faster than this team is able to address issues - if at all. Already the very basic specs must be broken - the Genie and Nighthawk App for example show different preset lists for attached device types than any of the supported routers. Send your engineering to re-design things carefully - but do it fast. Nightawk is dead for now - a dead product line. Destroyed by Netgear product management, destroyed by Netgear engineering, destroyed by Netgear firmware OEM/ODM. Introducing a "new" router platform like the XR was a great idea, but failed bottom up because of the platform issues are the very same, the issues poping up in the XR forum are similar. And I have not talked about the long overdue VPN capability which is promised for almost all of 2018 - as of now I consider this a big marketing lie. And now AX8 and AX12 continuing with the same issues? Good luck! 

Message 7 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@ChristineT

Luckily, I currently do not have any issues on latest .60 firmware on my R7800, but if you regularly follow this forum like I do, you'd see there are enough people that have issues with it. Especially with the last two firmware releases .58 and .60, many report ping spikes and other issues. I cannot reproduce it on my end so I'm not much of help to these guys

I appreciate the call out, but NG needs to get its act together and stop pushing half-baked firmware without much, if any at all, testing

Read this thread completely and you will see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-firmware-1-0-2-58-released/td-p/163071... - there are other threads but it's late here and I won't go hunt for them.

Message 8 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

All you have to do is read this thread >  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-firmware-1-0-2-58-released/td-p/163071... That said your latest .58 and .60 firmware for the R7800 is broke. There have been many tests ran by many people and plenty of disscussion in this and otrher forums. Please look in to this and fix ASAP no excuse for this to even have happened. Is this code tested before release ??  I am guessing the answer is NO.  Jim 

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin 384.18_Alpha 1
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 9 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

Afraid, almost each and every firmware released in 2018 for any Nighthawk router is bugged. Not just the subject R7800. And issues are spreading over many different models - see the failure fo the Internet Speed check.

Message 10 of 35
Master

Due to firmware issues I sold my r8000 and r8000p and went to a different vendor, Ubiquiti Unifi products. Unlike my experience with the Netgear routers their products just work. The Unifi products probably would be a stretch for average forum member I suspect. Have the solid wireless network in my house that I assumed I would get with the Netgear routers. Netgear used to be my go to vendor for routers and would recommend when asked by someone as to what to get. I would not today as the firmware from what I can tell on these forums has not improved and in some cases maybe even have regressed.  Have been suspicious that Netgear has gone to a 3rd party for firmware with the slowness of getting fixes for existing bugs. I do hope that the firmware gets better as the hardware seems to be solid. 

I hang out on the forums to be of help where I can, have experience with 3rd party firmware as well as just a networking background and by kudos number have been helpful.. 

The one bright note is that the Netgear modem I have has been rock solid. Sig gives what I currently have. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 11 of 35
Highlighted
Aspirant

So, my router has it's Power LED blinking and I don't know how to fix it. I have reset it, unplugged it, switched ethernet cables, etc. But nothing has worked. Can someone help me?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 35
Highlighted

Thanks for your response @microchip8,

I am glad to hear you are not currently experiencing any issues. We understand the frustration with the issues being reported as a result of an update to the firmware. We are actively looking for community members that are willing to work with us and participate in testing new beta firmware as it becomes available in hopes of broadening the breadth of use cases that can't be replicated in our labs. I'll be working with the Engineering team to see about the next beta firmware for the R7800 and post an invitation in the community for those who'd be willing to try it and provide their feedback.

Thanks for being a valued part of this community! 

Best Regards,

Christine 

Message 13 of 35
Highlighted

Hello @SilverSky,

I found this article that may help you!

How to resolve amber LEDs or a blinking power LED on NETGEAR routers

Can you let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue?

Best Regards,

Christine 

Message 14 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@ChristineT

Why did you create a support ticket for me? As I said, I do not have issues with my R7800 on the .60 firmware. It is better to contact someone else who has the issues and ask him/her if he/she want to work with you to resolve it so it can make it in a future firmware

I will not follow up on the support ticket as 1) no issues here and 2) i need a constant stable network at home instead of messing around for hours loading beta firmwares and testing out things

My initial post re: fix your firmware was in reaction to the many problems the firmware has judging by the amount of others that report them

Ideally, you can contact Voxel who makes a custom firmware based on yours with fixes and improvements. He knows the internals very well and better than me no doubt - https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html

Message 15 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@ChristineT,

I too follow these forum topics. I try to help others.

Have an R7000 that basically became unreliable after 3 years of usage and after applying a new released firmware. It would power off randomly. Going backlevel with firmware didn't fix it so last March I switched to an R8000. I had ZERO problems with it. As you know, I've got SMB 1 problems with both unit and been working with Support since 3/31 to get this resolved.

My PC had been hard wired to those modems and I never had a problem with the connection on either router. 3 days ago I decided to go wireless. That day I noticed that I lost wireless connection at some point only once? Reconnected without a problem. Yesterday new firmware for the R8000 was released (why no formal sticky announcement was made about this?) and I installed it. Yesterday noticed the same disconnect happening twice. My wife's PC is also wireless but it doesn't happen on hers? I can't find any reason for this happening, but I'm working on that... it could be the device driver for all I know as I can't 'make it fail', it just happens.

One major problem I see? When a problem happens with a new firmware install, there is NO support if you are past your 90 day window. Many resort to backleveling firmware I guess, but for some it doesn't work.  For some they can't even do that as the firmware 'bricked' the router. I'd suggest that support be given free for that specific released new firmware for a short period after the release date, say 30 to 60 days?

Message 16 of 35
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@ChristineT and what about R7000 beta FW. The latest 1.0.9.42 have issues also. For me it is dynamic QoS that is not working. After 24 hours it stops monitoring traffic at all and also new data base showing some traffic incorrectly (for example then there is download traffic for streaming apps router showing that streaming is for upload). Also 5 GHz Wi-Fi devices after 24 hours couldn't connect via 5 GHz wirelless LAN. I wrore about it several time but no responce. Also I'm willing to test beta FW and cooperate with engineering team for debuging.

Message 17 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@IrvSp

March I switched to an R8000. I had ZERO problems with it. As you know, I've got SMB 1 problems with both unit and been working with Support since 3/31 to get this resolved.

interesting math. ZERO = 1?  Smiley Wink

@ChristineT 

This is the type of issue that Netgear must address in a more timely manner. This is basiclly 8 month old issue that impacts a large number of users. As I recall when engineering was working with IrvSp they did not even understand windows SMB. Really does not instill confidence in support and engineering. Again why I suspect that Netgear has farmed out firmware support to a 3rd party, or at least gathered a new group of engineers that did not understand routers and told them they were now writing the code and debug. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 18 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@myersw wrote:

@IrvSp

March I switched to an R8000. I had ZERO problems with it. As you know, I've got SMB 1 problems with both unit and been working with Support since 3/31 to get this resolved.

My math IS correct... as I have to use SMB 1 to make it work. Firmware is broke, but I can get around it, unlike many other problems. No different than if you have Spectrum you might need to use Google's DNS's... but I can see how you think that.
Message 19 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@myersw wrote:

@IrvSp

My math IS correct... as I have to use SMB 1 to make it work. Firmware is broke, but I can get around it, unlike many other problems. No different than if you have Spectrum you might need to use Google's DNS's... but I can see how you think that.

@IrvSp

Just having a little fun. Smiley Wink

Yes at least there is a work around although some folks would not know how to enable SMB1 on a new Windows 10 install I suspect. Wonder if this bug is also in the firmware for the new AX8 router. Would hope not. 

Have my Raspberry pi with  Pi-Hole pointing at quad9 DNS servers in my case. They are quite responsive for me. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 20 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@myersw,

Bill, well now I've hit 2 problems, one that existed for some in the R8000 before and in both the brand new firmware (V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 ) and the prior one. That is the Wireless dropping unexpectedly. The other is brand new with the new f/w. For some ODD reason, the DLNA server is able to show my DLNA clients content on the USB drive. However a SAMBA client works fine?

Now is defense of myself, I have not tried anything that I should have after installing new firmware (probably) such as doing a reset and reentering all my settings on the DLNA problem. I have DELETED the DLNA catalog on the USB drive and had it repopulate. However I'll test later as I don't know for sure if it was complete when I tested (I suspect it was though). I did test with a few clients and both on a PC (VLC) and iPad's (a few different clients) and none show content but DO see the Server.

As for the wireless disconnects, well, wife's PC is using an AC Netgear A6200. She doesn't get disconnected but the router log will show her getting an IP Address often. Posted in the adapter forum and was told this is a know issue but the A7200 doesn't do that. So I forgot about it and she'd never complained. A few days ago I saw https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEU7UZ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it was on a special for $17. So I got it. Now I can't tell for sure 'who' is controlling it? It seems it is an MS driver as it is recognized by W10. It came with one of those SMALL CD's that fit inside the inner ring of the CD player. However before I even installed it, Windows recognized it. I could connect via either Windows wireless or once I installed its utility, with it.

I had the older F/W installed and one day the wireless dropped on me but I could easily reconnect. Yesterday on the new F/W, it dropped again. I also see it will disconnect when the PC sleeps (this PC was hard wired before with a cable running around the room and my impetus was to clean the place up Smiley Happy. This is a REALTEK driver that it uses... I might need to locate one that might be newer, but it could very well be a f/w issue?

I'll research and try things more, but right now I think the DLNA problem is in the f/w so watch for a new thread on that from me in the next day or two... my last resort will be to do the RESET.

I might even turn-on Smart Connect as it was changed to manage all 3 radio's now. See if that will work any better?

Message 21 of 35
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Hello @IrvSp, my friend and @myersw my inspiration (for R8000P)

I know IrvSp has been frustratedly and actually patiently tried to deal with SMB1 problem way back since March, but I know that he has a workaround way to make it work, even though not to his liking. Kudo to him, and as I mentioned sometime earlier somewhere on this forum that I would press on the issue, but seems that NG quietly worked on it with updated fw and without mention it in the updates.

I have not have any problem with particularly SMB1 related to my attached 4T harddrives (2 of them using USB2 and USB3.0) and yes with enabled SMB1 in Windows, files are indexed quite ok. Only problem with my setting on both R8000 and R8000P is that I have to disable DLNA and Smart Connection, leaving all other stuffs on, ie. QoS, VPN, VLAN (not used it anyway), Parental Control (Open DNS or Cirle in the case of R8000)etc. All are on except DLNA, and the problem of internet disconnection, particularly with wireless devices, disappears, the router is stable and does not drop internet connection at all. This is with R8000 Fw1.0.4.18; R8000P Fw 1.4.1.30. Minor settings and bugs still remain, ie. reserved IP address not sustained, listing of connected devices are not actually reflecting the actual connection, Smart Connection bugs with reduced ISP speed, and eventual drop of internet connection later. etc... These seem to be a long list of problems but not associated with bad, drastic and frequent drops of internet that NG HAS TO acknowledge and somehow needs to fix. I do not know, sarcastically said, that they have competent engineers brave enough to engage a total brand new fw development approach, or just to follow old buggy firmware(s) and try to remedy as much as possible to catch up with the consumers' dismay at their fw's

Btw @myersw. Thanks for the good-old R8000P from you. It works so fine without any problems, with proper setting I mentioned above. And for any consumers expecting Gigabit connection reliability witth R8000 and R8000P, just forget it. They will not do this job good enought to the expectation, only the AX does (which I happened to have beta test unit few months back and the beta phase test ran well)...

Kudoes to both of you, my friends @IrvSp and @myersw

@ChristineT FYI

Best 

Terry

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router,R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 22 of 35
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@IrvSp I will message you later regarding DLNA and other stufff

Message 23 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

@@Christine;

I have a support case for the 1.0.2.60 issue and sent in some packet captures last week..  

Older firmware has been solid for me so I'll just plug along with that for now..I think a lot of people upgrade the firmware to get security updates as well as fix bugs..   But the .60 is so fundamentally broken ...its not a minor bug.   I have no problem working with netgear to fix it but have not gotten that far yet.

Message 24 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@TerryPh, I think I might have fixed the network issue...

I tried hard to recreate it... and it seems to be when the PC comes out of SLEEP. For some period of time it doesn't come back immediately. Even when it did, it would drop either within a minute or even some period later. Then it 'hit' me... I check in Device Manager the Properties and specifically Power Management... and they it was, set to allow the computer to turn it OFF to save power... and that either happened every time when it went to sleep or some time when it wasn't being used... I'll watch this for a few days before calling it really solved but I'm very optimistic this IS the problem as my wife's PC doesn't have this happen and her's is not set to do that either.... See I really felt it had to be this PC vs. wireless SSID as this PC was the only one with the problem, no phones, iPad's, TV, Echo's, Firesticks, etc. lost connection.

Message 25 of 35