• 43 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: R7800 - Fix your firmware

I wonder if this is Windows 10 problem?
@IrvSp. I will try again to replicate your situation to also verify with you in this case. But I remember vividly that my computer was awakened from sleep many time recently without wired internet problem. I will hook up my PC with wireless connection and try to replicate the problem if any and let you know
Terry
Message 26 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@IrvSp

Interesting observation about the power setting for the NIC. I guess that might be the problem with slow connections. Got to get it powered up and maybe load the driver and negotiate the Ethernet connection. Am guessing on driver load. That might explain some user issues as that is the default, turn off. 

@TerryPh

Glad to hear the R8000p is working out well for you. I don't have the patience to change setting and note what I did then make more changes and note when the first didn't work. I tend to go more to the not working and no reason why it shouldn't and either pitch in trash bin or sell. I like working with tech that works, but don't have much patience when the issue is firmware and do not see the vendor making strides to fix, like the r8000p as you know. Reason I was making the offer you took me up on. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 27 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@TerryPh wrote:

Terry, I'd NOT call this a Windows problem. USB ports and Network Adapter's are set to power down to save power by default I think? It might also be a function of the power scheme used. Laptops would be the ones most likely to save power though. When I looked at the properties of the new device I installed I found it set to save power and turned that off. Also, there is a setting for wireless devices (if you have same) in the power scheme, see the screenshot on right and the choices. Some users might not know to look there and some of those could be the cause of problems.

However, unless all devices are wireless Windows PC's (don't know about Mac's or other OS's) then it doesn't explain why all devices disconnect, does it, especially at the same time?

Message 28 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@TerryPh wrote:

Hmm, you made me look? I'm on the latest formal W10 release, V1809, not the Insider releases.

Not only did I check all wireless devices (I have a motherboard 2.4Ghz wireless adapter) to see if they were set to not turn off, but all the USB controllers. Well, TWO were set to save power. Now I know this WAS not the way it was, I had turned them ALL off? On my list the 3rd Generic USB Hub was set to turn off as well as the USB Root Hub (USB 3.0). Well that wifi adapter is connected to USB 3.0 as is my External drive (which seems to go to sleep often and I had to wait for it to wake up when I wanted to access it)? Hmmm.....

Message 29 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

Lets not jump the gun here. First and formost this problem was not present in firmware .52 That said Netgear needs to go back and see what has been changed as far as wireless focusing on the 5 GHz radio from .52 to .58/60 this should not be to hard. Still dont understand how these latest builds were not tested and just released with not knowing if there were issues. I am using Voxel's Code ver 1.0.2.61SF and it is rock solid. 

So again Netgear get the code wrighters together and fix it. 

And for me and others it has NOTHING to do with the device going to sleep. 

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin 384.18_Alpha 1
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 30 of 35
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@ChristineT .
Can you forward James721 message above
" So again Netgear get the code wrighters together and fix it." to your R7800 team to see if they respond quickly. ?
Best
Terry
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 31 of 35
Highlighted
Virtuoso

"DUPLICATED". Sorry for my "confusion". It is Friday after a long work day...😉😉😉...

Can you forw ard James721's message above 'So again Netgear get the code wrighters together and fix it. " to your R7800 team to see if and how fast they respond ?
Terry
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@TerryPh wrote:

@IrvSp I will message you later regarding DLNA and other stufff

DLNA, well it it now working? However I was doing some debugging and I moved the USB from the 2.0 port to the 3.0 port (doing the safely remove drive first). I was a long time ago a 2.0 drive but that failed so I got a new 3.0 drive and always used the same 2.0 port thinking the router had some 'knowledge' about the drive and file locations. Guess that wasn't the case. I'll try going back to the 2.0 port later. I could have been no more than the need to build the DLNA catalog under the new firmware (which never seemed to be a problem before)?

At this time DLNA and Wireless drop is NOT an issue.

Message 33 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@ChristineT, if you are at all serious about discovering problems and helping people that get messed up by a Firmware Release, might I suggest you create a NEW TOPIC that gets "Sticky'ed" With the title like "R8000 V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 Problems" and monitor that topic.

RIght now I see a few who have installed complaining NO 5Ghz connectabiliy. Some it seems even had problems going back to the prior f/w they were using.

If nothing else, NG should alter its support to allow for, lets say 90 days after new f/w released, FREE reporting of problems WITH that f/w specifically.

Either that or have Support MONITOR the new topic for that f/w.

It would also be nice to have USER BETA testers for those releases before they go out.

All this would help with the IMAGE of NG.

Message 34 of 35
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm constantly expericing wifi crashes when using WhatsApp, Duo and other video chats( different platforms and phones). It has been happening since two firmware old versions. I'm stll having same issues with the latest one. Have done many resets trying to fix the issue.
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 35 of 35