Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

For the last month+, DNS issues and dropped Wi-Fi (now using R7000P)

marteeleigh
Tutor

For the last month+, DNS issues and dropped Wi-Fi (now using R7000P)

Hi all! 

I've had a horrible experience with my Netgear router(s) lately. I was having DNS issues (now I suspect it might have been a FW update, as it corresponds to roughly the same time the new FW came out for AC1750), and I even changed ISPs (from DSL to cable), and it didn't resolve the issue.

Last week, I upgraded my router to the R7000P (previously had AC1750), but the issues persist AND my Wi-Fi is dropping from my 5GHz network, but the 2.4 GHz network seems stable. 

Here are the errors I have been getting:

• ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
  • ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
  • ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I did everything in this article: “ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED”: How to fix the Chrome/Android Error? - IONOS. I changed my 2.4 network to channel 11 and my 5 to channel 161. I have switched between ISP provided DNS servers, to Google, to Cloudflare, and back to Google.

After spending 2 hours on the phone with Netgear support yesterday, I ending up rolling back my firmware to V1.3.2.126_10.1.66. I did not reset to factory. Should I have done that?

What else? I am trying hard to stay cool right now, but this is super maddening—especially after a two-hour phone support call that didn't resolve the issue.

My understanding of these typs is technical issues is rudimentary, so please expand on solutions, if you're able.

Thank you!!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: For the last month+, DNS issues and dropped Wi-Fi (now using R7000P)

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has firmware been updated recently? 

Message 2 of 15
marteeleigh
Tutor

As I set up this new router last week, I originally had the latest FW running, but yesterday, I reverted to R7000P Firmware Version 1.3.2.126 

Modem: Motorola MB8611 (which I purchased instead of leasing through Sparklight)

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

After reverting FW, is the router working now? 

Message 4 of 15
marteeleigh
Tutor

After reverting the firmware to version 1-3-2-126, I am still getting DNS errors and the Wi-Fi is also dropping on my 5ghz network. 

BUT I have not gotten DNS errors while I have been on my 2.4ghz network (and the Wi-Fi is stable). 

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF the ISP modem as well for 1 minute then back ON. Complete the routers setup wizard.

Message 6 of 15
marteeleigh
Tutor

(By the way, thanks for your time and help on this. 🙂 )

No, I haven't done a factory reset. I can do that now, though. 

This might be a dumb question, but if I do the factory reset and then change my network names and passwords to the exact same they are now, will all my connected devices auto connect, or will I need to reconnect everything again? If not, is there a way to do this, or with a factory reset, should I just accept the fact that the next 1-2 hours of my life will be spent reconnecting devices (again)? Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can use same SSID name and password and your devices will re-connect. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 8 of 15
marteeleigh
Tutor

I live in a small subdivision, and my iPhone picks up 3 networks (aside from mine). 

While troubleshooting, I changed my 2.4 network to channel 11 and my 5 to channel 161, but when I set everything back up, I can change the 5ghz to 40, 44, or 48. 

Message 9 of 15
marteeleigh
Tutor

Okay, so that was the most frustrating experience I've had so far. Now that it is factory reset, I changed the SSID and passwords to my previous info, and that was the only thing that worked very well. 

So, my firmware version is V1.3.2.126_10.1.66, and when I check for new FW, it says no new FW is available (which is fine, since I don't want the latest), but I found that curious.

Where do I go from here? 

Message 10 of 15
marteeleigh
Tutor

Well, I thought this might have resolved the issue, but my 5ghz network is still dropping Wi-Fi. I use the Netgear Genie to "fix it" when it happens, but it's happening a couple times an hour. 

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try channels 48 or 149 for 5G.

Message 12 of 15
marteeleigh
Tutor

Alrighty, I changed from 144 to 149.

I also read a thread to disable mu-mimo. Thoughts on that? 

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Can if you want too, can always re-enable that after testing. Only needed if you have MIMO supporting devices. Most newer phones and pad i believe support MIMO.

Message 14 of 15
marteeleigh
Tutor

So, I disabled mu-mimo, and my connection is more stable. Instead of every hour, my internet is dropping once in the morning. I let Netgear Genie address it automatically, and after several prompts, Genie is typically able to resolve the issue in one go. But, a brand new router should not be causing this disruption. Any other solutions? 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7