Frequent disconnects every night.

kinglonewolf
Aspirant

Frequent disconnects every night.

Been trying to research this issue that I'm plagued with that seams to be the same issue with the R7000 that I am having with my R9000 X10 Nighthawk that every night around the same time the router will drop all conenctings WIFI and LAN until I power cycle the router off/on again. Checked my logs has nothing to show. Only thing I'm starting to think is it's the firmware and the same issue as the R7000 that I'm seeing a lot of users having the issue as well.

Same problems, different router.

Message 1 of 13
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: Frequent disconnects every night.

Maybe it is a power problem.  I wonder if the power to your house fluctuates enough to lock up the routers but not enough to make them reboot.  Do you have a UPS that you can plug the router into?

Message 2 of 13

"Frequent disconnects every night" that is called SLEEPING!!!

I do agree with you @LeeH!!

Or there are too much stuffs pluged onto your plug wall?

UPS should be mandatory!

Message 3 of 13
kinglonewolf
Aspirant

The PC runs on a UPS due to it's power draw on one of the outlets. But the Modem, router, Xbox One, and TV run on the same power strip, through a different outlet. I've replaced the strip a couple nights ago with no luck. So I'll give the UPS a try. Though if power was the issue, it would of tripped the other devices on the same curcuit and not just the router?

Message 4 of 13
William10a
Master

An ups will keep computer running in a blackout but does not add any extra power and most time if like must of the ups's for the home user it only runs when the main power is out a few of the higher end models that will run all the time off the battery and recharge it when you have main power and offer better the voltage regulation. It would take a very large load to drop your 120 volts to a point a switch mode power supply that's in your routers adaptor to stop running and producting 12 volts dc.

Message 5 of 13
kinglonewolf
Aspirant

It's not adding power, it's managing it. I had one of the outlets redone because of the requirements I needed for the PC and a server, Which both run though the APC.

Anything else runs through basic surge protectors on different outlets.

Message 6 of 13
William10a
Master

If you think it is total amount of power flowing a power strip a watt meter that you plug into the wall and plug the strip into will show the amount power used remember  it is watt's divide by volts give's the amps your using.

A possible answer is having outlet installed just for the modem and router on it's own private circuit in the breaker box that's the way my is set up one 120 volt 20 amp dual outlet box with a gfi and nomal outlet wired off of it.

Message 7 of 13

Here 2 desktops, 3 NAS one scaner and a printer on the same plug!!

Message 8 of 13
kinglonewolf
Aspirant

I would love to get it on its own private circuit. Only issue is the house layout is horrible and the mason brick walls to get through are enough trouble that I've delt with.

When I bought this house it had no internet previously, only phone lines. God forbid myself, electrician, and cable guy had a nightmare to deal with originally.

I'll see how the APC does over the next couple days or day if it still doesn't work by some chance. Going to also check the outlet it's on/

Message 9 of 13
William10a
Master

@kinglonewolf wrote:

I would love to get it on its own private circuit. Only issue is the house layout is horrible and the mason brick walls to get through are enough trouble that I've delt with.

When I bought this house it had no internet previously, only phone lines. God forbid myself, electrician, and cable guy had a nightmare to deal with originally.

I'll see how the APC does over the next couple days or day if it still doesn't work by some chance. Going to also check the outlet it's on/

If you have some unused phone line's going to the location of the router it is old trick you can run the 12 volts from the routers power supply over the phone using two wires as the positive and the other two as negative for the power feed to the router. It has work in places that you could not run a outlet to may be not to todays codes but works the rings with 250 volt peak to peak ring signal on the old telephones.

Message 10 of 13
IrvSp
Master

Some newer PC's have problems with AVR UPS's. They are the PCF PC Power supplies and they need a PURE SINE WAVE UPS.

It IS possible the UPS is set too high and switches over while the other on the house line do not drop. I'd check the UPS type and PC requirements as well as the UPS settings. UPS should also have a LOG and tell you if it drops. Could be due to a transient voltage spike due to some machinery turning on every night.

Message 11 of 13

Washing machines, dishes and pool moter pump can disturb the signal!

Message 12 of 13
William10a
Master

A pi type ac line filter can the noise on even hi levels of rf were they shine not the same thing as surge protecter tries to stop spikes from reaching your devices but a line filter job is block noise from another devices from getting to your devices even your lonely tv uses a noise filter on its ac input. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E