Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: From R6020 to R6080 - No Change in Performance

bumrocks
Follower

From R6020 to R6080 - No Change in Performance

Quick note, I'm not sure whether this is a Nighthawk router. The Nighthawk app is referenced numerous times on the box though.

I recently upgraded my modem from the R6020 to the R6080 due to the fact that my Internet speed recently started suffering and according to xFinity it was an issue with either my router or modem. My service speed is supposed to be around 200 Mbps and have struggled to get a speed test over 40 or 50 Mbps. Tested numerous times and on numerous devices and on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connections. When the modem is directly connected to a device via ethernet cable 200+ Mbps is achieved but as soon as I use that same cable to run to router my speed is significantly reduced via wifi regardless that signal is strong. And regardless of which router I use, as the new one did not help. At one time I wondered if it might be associated to the USB port a wifi adapter was connected to but when tested from my mobile phone and results dont vary, it negates that hypothesis.

Confused...

Tested on iphone 5SE, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S10, Windows 7 Pro, Windows 10 Home...
Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Both of those devices are fast ethernet devices. What that means is their ethernet speeds are only 10/100 and not gigabit. So you'll max out hardwired speeds at around 90-94mbps on either router. so if you have 200mbps internet speeds, they'll never hit that. 

If you're testing over wireless 2.4ghz 50 mbps is pretty good. Potentially your 5ghz should get you more than the 50mbps but that'd take a little more fine tuning and troubleshooting. If you're planning on keeping 200 mbps speeds and want to actually hit that, I'd recommend upgrading to an actual gigabit router if you're going to have 200mbps service. 

if you're happy with just getting 90mbps, then we can troubleshoot your speeds. If you want full speeds, upgrade to a router capable of handling them. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Both of those devices are fast ethernet devices. What that means is their ethernet speeds are only 10/100 and not gigabit. So you'll max out hardwired speeds at around 90-94mbps on either router. so if you have 200mbps internet speeds, they'll never hit that. 

If you're testing over wireless 2.4ghz 50 mbps is pretty good. Potentially your 5ghz should get you more than the 50mbps but that'd take a little more fine tuning and troubleshooting. If you're planning on keeping 200 mbps speeds and want to actually hit that, I'd recommend upgrading to an actual gigabit router if you're going to have 200mbps service. 

if you're happy with just getting 90mbps, then we can troubleshoot your speeds. If you want full speeds, upgrade to a router capable of handling them. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7