Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108V4 unmanage switch blocking ports 80& 443

JimH1959
Aspirant

GS108V4 unmanage switch blocking ports 80& 443

I have an Arlo camera system that was working fine when connected to our WiFi router, but switched locations and it is now connected to the unmanaged ethernet switch. It stopped connecting, and they are telling me it is because ports 443 and 80 are closed. This doesn't make any sense to me as it is an unmanaged switch. I'm not extremely knowledgeable on the subject but do have a clue. Our home if served by our local fiber optic system, which is lightening fast and doesn't even have a way of blocking ports. Any thoughts on a solution?

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Is there any NAT and/or WiFi router in this fiber Internet installation? If not, one system might work on the single public iP address you get from the ISP (intended for the WAN/Internet interface of a router) e.g. on your ONT, but your Orbi system does not have neither a private LAN IP nor a public address where it can reach the Internet - so it tells you the ports are bocked.

Message 2 of 5
microchip8
Master

Unmanaged switches can't block ports. Your issue is somewhere further in your setup

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@microchip8 wrote:

Unmanaged switches can't block ports. Your issue is somewhere further in your setup

This is correct - however Arlo does show this misleading message if it can't reach the cloud over 80/TCP and/or 443/TCP for whatever reason.

Message 4 of 5
JimH1959
Aspirant

I originally had the WiFi router connected first and the unmanaged switch downstream. I recently swapped the locations in order to provide more ethernet connections where the WiFi router was connected. I'm sure this is the source of the problem, I will re-locate the devices and confirm. Then, I'll probably get another unmanaged switch to provide the quantity of ethernet connections I need. thank you for the responses.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7