Game Server visible to external but not LAN

geneticbits
Follower

Game Server visible to external but not LAN

I run a few servers for Ark: Survival Evolved on a spare computer on my network. I used to have a different brand router and everything worked fine. I had the required ports forwarded, and the servers would show up in the Steam server list when logging into the game no matter if you were on a computer connected to the same network as the server or somewhere else on the planet. From a local network computer, I could view the server in the same listings as all other "unofficial" servers. Now that I've switched to Netgear, I have the same ports forwarded (and made sure to update the IP address, too) and the server will only show when I search for servers on the LAN. Other computers not on my home network can find the server the same as before, however.

This wouldn't be a problem, except sometimes it's necessary for my character to travel between servers. And that is impossible when the server can only be found by my computer when I search by LAN (which isn't an option when transferring between servers).

I've had to work around this by using my phone as a hotspot using my cellular service to allow my computer to connect to the server from an external IP. When I do, I'm able to transfer servers flawlessly. So the problem is obviously something in the router or LAN settings to prohibit any local computer from accessing the server as if the computer was an external source. What setting do I need to change to allow local visibility?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
antinode
Guru

Re: Game Server visible to external but not LAN

> Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router

Is that accurate?  Firmware version?

> [...] So the problem is obviously something in the router or LAN
> settings to prohibit any local computer from accessing the server as if
> the computer was an external source. [...]

Or a firmware bug.  If the R7800 is your only router, and you're
specifying its WAN/Internet IP address when trying to contact your
server, and your (invisible) port-forwarding rules are correct, and it
works from the outside world but not from the LAN, the you would seem to
suffer from a bug in the router's "NAT loopback" feature.

With my weak psychic powers, I can't see your port-forwarding rules.
(Copy+paste is your friend.)

Similar problems have been reported for other (modem+)router models,
but I don't recall seeing such a complaint about the R7800.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements