Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Gateway password can be recovered via serial number?

Jjdawg
Aspirant

Gateway password can be recovered via serial number?

So I notice. You can simply recover access to the gateway just with the serial number on the device. A neighbor, I played stupid with for a long time. But I’d like to be able to keep my gateway for longer then two days.

Everyday it’s changed, I don’t pay much attention and can’t speak more in the criminal activity. but is this seriously an option that can’t be disabled? Shocked..
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Gateway password can be recovered via serial number?

it needs the serial and the answer to the security questions. 

How do I recover my NETGEAR admin password using the password recovery feature? | Answer | NETGEAR S...

You can disable password recovery. I didn't see a specific guide for disabling it but there is one for enabling it. Use that but just don't enable it.

How do I enable the admin password recovery feature on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 6
Jjdawg
Aspirant

See I disable that fr the bat.

However every time I note attacks in my logs,
My passwords are 26 characters of scrambled numbers typed on an offline computer then encrypted. I’ve had someone confirm everything’s right, but the next day the gateway is incorrect and then it asks me for my serial to recover it?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you do a quick google search, theres a ton of false positives in the logs on "attacks"

netgear false dos attack - Google Search

Message 4 of 6
Jjdawg
Aspirant

Still, the gateway changes . Sometimes after two days, sometimes overnight.
Message 5 of 6

@Jjdawg wrote:
So I notice. You can simply recover access to the gateway just with the serial number on the device. A neighbor, I played stupid with for a long time. But I’d like to be able to keep my gateway for longer then two days.

Everyday it’s changed, I don’t pay much attention and can’t speak more in the criminal activity. but is this seriously an option that can’t be disabled? Shocked..

Kind of difficult to understand what you are saying.

If you are trying to use the "password recovery" option, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7