Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

General Question - Network Performance - AC1900/R7000

TexanJohn
Tutor

General Question - Network Performance - AC1900/R7000

Hello,

We have Spectrum internet service. We were somehow stuck in a lower level throughput model limiting our download to ~65Mbps. Even though Spectrum had raised their minmum to 200Mbps, we were still only getting 65.

After getting Spectrum to upgrade our service to 200Mbps, we seem to have very erratic service or quality. Erratic being Hulu (via wi-fi) regular chokes with a message stating "We're having trouble displaying this" ... Or, my computer or phone seems to drop the internet connection ... sometimes I do notice the modem indicates no internet connection, but not always even though devices indicate there is an issue.

Our setup is:

Spectrum -> Motorla SB6141 -> Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) -> wifi/wired

I know our modem is old. I got conflicting advice from Spectrum in that one CSR said it was fine, another said the modem is definitely a problem.

The router is up-to-date, I don't use QOS, Armor is not turned on, no throttling/limiting, etc.

Is the modem my issue?

I don't think it is the router, but I thought I saw the router re-boot itself today. I wasn't for sure if that was symptom rather than a cause.

Is there anything I can look at? (Is there a way to check the modem vs the router?)

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: General Question - Network Performance - AC1900/R7000

the R7000 isn't known for the best firmware. and you're not on the latest. 

the newest currently is 1.0.11.116. You can try manually updating to that version. 

Nighthawk R7000 | AC1900 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

I'd recommend any firmware changes with the R7000 be done with a hardwired connection, then do a factory reset and clean install. (not from backup). Thats for best results. 

If that doesn't help, the agreed upon stable/fastest version of the firmware is 1.0.9.42

So you're getting full 200mbps over 5ghz? 

Thats good. 

2.4ghz is a slow band and if you're hitting 70mbps you're actually doing really with with 2.4ghz. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

a couple things. 

1. what firmware is on the router? 

2. what speeds do you get with a pc/laptop directly connected to the modem?

Message 2 of 6
TexanJohn
Tutor

Firmware V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 (indicates that is current)

I have not tested direct connection to the mdoem. Hard to get others in the house to give up internet time. 😉

Through the router ...

On a 5G connection, I see 200Mbps download. I see the same on a wired connection on a Mac. I test using Spectrum's test and speedof.me via a browser and Ookla's app on my phone.

2.4G connection is never that fast. Maybe 70Mbps on my phone.

My router is probably 9 years old. I have noticed it re-boot twice toady. When it did, the modem appeared to show an active connection (all lights were green).

I did buy a different modem last night. I purchased a Netgear CM500 that is 16x4 (my SB6141 is only 8x4).

I would simply describe my current experience as 'inconsistent'. Dropped connections, sometimes intermittently slow, and now possibly the router re-booting on it's own.

One weird note is that we have not noticed the same lag/buffering in video with Prime or Netflix that we observe with Hulu live TV. I don't know if I'm having multiple problems, confusing different symptoms, etc.

Giving serious thought to picking up a new router and trying that.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

the R7000 isn't known for the best firmware. and you're not on the latest. 

the newest currently is 1.0.11.116. You can try manually updating to that version. 

Nighthawk R7000 | AC1900 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

I'd recommend any firmware changes with the R7000 be done with a hardwired connection, then do a factory reset and clean install. (not from backup). Thats for best results. 

If that doesn't help, the agreed upon stable/fastest version of the firmware is 1.0.9.42

So you're getting full 200mbps over 5ghz? 

Thats good. 

2.4ghz is a slow band and if you're hitting 70mbps you're actually doing really with with 2.4ghz. 

Message 4 of 6
TexanJohn
Tutor

Thanks.

Will try the upgrade to the firmware. (I don't understand why the Admin panel states the firmware is up-to-date.)

Yes, 200Mbps on 5Ghz with decent range in the house.

On 2.4Ghz, maybe 40-50Mbps may be more consistent speed. I just tested on my phone with Ookla app and got 70 (sitting 6' away from router).

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

2.4ghz is slow. there's not getting around that. Its a limitation of how it works. And its worse in areas with wireless congestion. In my area, I'm lucky to hold 30mbps over 2.4ghz. I can hit peaks of 100+mbps when its 2am and no ones using 2.4ghz. but during the day, its horrible. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7