Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Genie app for AC1750 Smart WiFi Router(R6700v2)no longer works -- how to set up parental controls?

rose-arbor
Aspirant

Genie app for AC1750 Smart WiFi Router(R6700v2)no longer works -- how to set up parental controls?

Dear all,

I purchased this router because I needed something with flexible parental controls.  The Genie app, which implemented the parental controls, now no longer works on my iPhone.  Whenever I open it, it says it is no longer supported, and I have to use Nighthawk.  But with Nighthawk I can no longer set my son's phone filtering level to High, for instance.  So, can you please suggest another way to implement parental controls, specifically filtering for specific devices, using this router?  Can the Orbi app work with it?

AC1750 Smart WiFi Router(R6700v2)

Purchase Date 2018-06-18

with many thanks,

rose-arbor

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Genie app for AC1750 Smart WiFi Router(R6700v2)no longer works -- how to set up parental control

@Nodism1125 wrote:

Please download Nighthawk app. 

This is ZERO help!!! The Nighthawk App won't allow managing the Live Parental Control, the Nightawk App supposedly supporting Circle by Disney (let's keep this discussion away) wont help - lack of suppot for Circle by Disney for the subject R6700v2.

For the moment, the only way to manage (levaing alone the LPC bypass which is lost for now) would be using the Genie programs for Windows or MacOS - the app based control is lost. If you are lucky and have Android mobiles (not iOS), you might be able to roll back the Genie App to a previous version (manual download and install, disable automatic update).

@ChristineT @Christian_R  train your trainers 8-/  ... and educate your product strategists that this "plan" is runining Netgear's remaining reputation - note there is not much of this left, considering the awful router firmware quaility provided the last months... If I would be with the Netgear management, I would sue some future former NTGR employees (nah, not the poor community supporters, don't worry @Nodism1125)!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Genie app for AC1750 Smart WiFi Router(R6700v2)no longer works -- how to set up parental control

Hi rose-arbor, 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700V2.aspx#download

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Nodism1125 wrote:

This is ZERO help!!! The Nighthawk App won't allow managing the Live Parental Control, the Nightawk App supposedly supporting Circle by Disney (let's keep this discussion away) wont help - lack of suppot for Circle by Disney for the subject R6700v2.

For the moment, the only way to manage (levaing alone the LPC bypass which is lost for now) would be using the Genie programs for Windows or MacOS - the app based control is lost. If you are lucky and have Android mobiles (not iOS), you might be able to roll back the Genie App to a previous version (manual download and install, disable automatic update).

@ChristineT @Christian_R  train your trainers 8-/  ... and educate your product strategists that this "plan" is runining Netgear's remaining reputation - note there is not much of this left, considering the awful router firmware quaility provided the last months... If I would be with the Netgear management, I would sue some future former NTGR employees (nah, not the poor community supporters, don't worry @Nodism1125)!

Message 3 of 6
rose-arbor
Aspirant

Thank you, @schumaku.  While I would prefer an app-based solution, this no longer seems to exist -- so using a desktop version of Genie is a functional workaround.  I've installed this on my MacOS and it works.  I really appreciate your help.  

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Glad it helped!

@rose-arbor wrote:

While I would prefer an app-based solution, this no longer seems to exist ---  

We will continue pushing Netgear to re-establish an App-based solution for the Live Parental Controls for two reasons:

• The Genie App and the Live Parental Control were key sales arguments for many customers, and
  • The Genie desktop App does not allow the LPC bypass as it was possible on Genie-equipped iOS and Android devices. 

Regards,

-Kurt 

Message 5 of 6
PlanoFamily
Initiate

The Genie desktop app is not a solution. We have a wide age range in the house, and being unable to protect the youngest without putting unreasonable restrictions on the 18+ is essential.

I am astounded NetGear locked users out of the Genie app without providing a full replacement. I'm off to Amazon to find a better supported product.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7