Re: Genie only showing network IP addesses now instead of device name. Is there a setting that I can

CaptZador
Aspirant

Genie only showing network IP addesses now instead of device name. Is there a setting that I can cha

Message 1 of 8
CaptZador
Aspirant

Re: Genie only showing network IP addesses now instead of device name. Is there a setting that I can

With Windows 10 PCs

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Provide a screnshot, add Genie software version, Nighthawk router model (R7000?) and the firmware version.

The Desktop Genie Network Map program is not fully backed by the router - it works always on the local [W]LAN only. When doing remote access, the program does continue to show the local Network Map, not the one as seen on the remote managed Netgear router. Biiig design and implementation issue @Christian_R  ... now where Netgear does promote this c***p again, e.g. for Live Parental Controls ... the customers can hope that these programs work 100% as expected.

1. Much more the program does use the system MAC addresses, does scan the subnet, does try to resolve names using Windows resp. MacOS services (NetBIOS name resolution, Bonjour, WS-Discovery).  This can be proven easily - just run the Genie Program (Windows, MacOS - not talking of the mobile Apps) on a network wothout a Netgear router.
  2. In a second step - and I'm wildly guessing now - the program does query more details from the router (user defined names, access control status, ...) - and this seem to fail for you.

When initially accessing a network, we briefly see the IP addresses only, once authenticated to the Netgear router using the admin credentials, the things (should) be updated and refreshed accordingly.

Message 3 of 8
CaptZador
Aspirant

Just saw a notice that old R 7000 is not supported by Netgear Genie App.  Thanks for your help!

Zador

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Zador, This applies only to the Genie mobile (iOS, Android) Apps - new builds refuse talking to e.g your R7000 (not that old, still readily available) - the desktop (MacOS, Windows) continue to be supported and remain workable. And these remain required e.g. for the Live Parental Control (as this is lost in the San Jose space somewhere).
Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

OK, I am NOT 100% sure about this? First I know I had the problem? I do NOT now, see screenshot on right.

I am now on an R8000, had been on an R7000 and I too think I had that problem. I do RECALL how I fixed it though.

Let me backtrack though. Again, not sure if this was an R7000 or R8000 problem but I did recall that the Genie Mobile app (no longer support or working for at least the R8000) or the Nighthawk Mobile app's (I'm on Android but also have iOS on iPad) allowed me to NAME the devices. The Browser Genie with some of the more recent firmware DID not allow device naming (BUG). They used to have an 'EDIT' button on either the Attached Device or Access Control page to NAME the IP Addresses. Trying to verify with Nighthawk on iOS right now, it can't seem to log into the router? I think that goes back to Netgear first and then finds the router, isn't working, probably how them messed up keeping signed in here no doubt. Android doesn't work either, but I get a message LOGIN TIMED OUT, PLEASE TRY AGAIN. IF THE ISSUE PERSISTS, TRY REBOOTING YOUR DEVICE.  I assume it meant my device, not the router. Way to go Netgear!

Message 6 of 8
cyber_jocky
Guide

Had the problem of R8000 router not showing correct device names, etc. since the beginning of time. Worked with technical support for many hours of my life that I will never get back to no avail. Got excited when the new Nighthawk android app was available and tried to use that to set the correct device icons and names but guess what? They change for 1 second and then revert back. Anyone who searches this issue can see the vast number of users who have this issue. There are so many other issues with the web page interface, incorrect info, etc, that Netgear should refund a portion of the money paid for this expensive pain in the A**!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 7 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We are aware of the issues with attached devices on the R8000 and are working on a fix. I will update when I have more info,

DarrenM

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E