Re: Gigabit speed

JokerPower
Aspirant

Gigabit speed

Hello. How performs R7000 with 500-1000 Mbps internet connection?

Look what it says on DD-WRT page:

"Whilst the router is fast, potential users should be aware that IPv4 NAT routing throughput tops out at 450Mbit on latest Netgear stock firmware, and at 360Mbit on DD-WRT with default configuration (no overclocking), or 425Mbit with a 20% overclock.

Users with 500Mbit or 1Gbit connections (yes, Romania, this means you) should be aware that the R7000 will not give you the full line speed you'll get from your modem, at least not with IPv4 and NAT. It works well for 100Mbit - 300Mbit connections (and this is the typical use case for it); below about 50Mbit or above about 500Mbit, it will offer poor value and may not be the best router for those requirements."

Source: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DD-WRT_on_R7000

Message 1 of 20
HiSpeed
Guide

DD-WRT was very good in the past, for Linksys WRT54G...
To day it's no more a reference because each time BS fix a bug, he creates 2 others...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asu...

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 2 of 20
RogerSC
Virtuoso

HiSpeed, I beg to differ with you. Not about BrainSlayer, but Kong puts out dd-wrt firmware that works well, and is tested on the R7000. I have had problems with the few BS firmware versions that I've tried on my R7000, but few with Kong's firmware. Here's his repository: www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/ I'm using Kong's latest build on my R7000 right now, and it's working great for me.
Message 3 of 20
HiSpeed
Guide

Sure, I'm a bit angry, but except for Linksys routers, each time I installed DD-WRT I've been obliged to roll back...
Further more, I'm tired now to find out the best DD-WRT build...

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 4 of 20
RogerSC
Virtuoso

HiSpeed, sorry that's been your experience...if you stick with Kong's dd-wrt builds you'd have a really good shot at getting one that works for you fairly quickly. The current one in the repository that I just posted is a good one.
Message 5 of 20
VE6CGX
Master

HiSpeed, Hi, What seems to be your problem(s)with dd-wrt? I no longer have R7000 but it worked very well for me with Kong's . My idea of updating f/w is when you have a particular reason. I don't upgrade because there is new release.
Message 6 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

JokerPower wrote:
Users with 500Mbit or 1Gbit connections (yes, Romania, this means you) should be aware that the R7000 will not give you the full line speed you'll get from your modem, at least not with IPv4 and NAT. It works well for 100Mbit - 300Mbit connections (and this is the typical use case for it); below about 50Mbit or above about 500Mbit, it will offer poor value and may not be the best router for those requirements."
Does IP has any effect on Speed? I don't think IPv4 and IPv6 has any impact on the speed, and it should be any difference between these two! :confused:
Message 7 of 20
RogerSC
Virtuoso

williclarkam wrote:
Does IP has any effect on Speed? I don't think IPv4 and IPv6 has any impact on the speed, and it should be any difference between these two! :confused:

IPv6 doesn't need to use NAT, there's enough addresses for everyone and everything without using an extra layer (the NAT layer) between the internet and the devices on the LAN that soaks up processing power and reduces effective speed. You do need it for the prevailing IPv4 model of one WAN address and then all your devices on the LAN have non-routable IP addresses behind the NAT interface. So that makes IPv6 potentially faster, but there are other things going on with it, like the extra length of the address fields for IPv6 make the packet headers longer for IPv6. And so on. But yes, the speeds of IPv6 and IPv4 seem to be pretty close.
Message 8 of 20
microchip8
Master

JokerPower, As I said on SNB forum, this can't be true as Tim has tested the R7000 with stock and he was able to reach close to Gbps speeds for WAN -> LAN and LAN -> WAN throughput
Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 9 of 20
RogerSC
Virtuoso

JokerPower and Microchip8 are talking about apples and oranges here. JokerPower is talking about dd-wrt firmware limitations, and Microchip8 is talking about the stock firmware capability. Two different sets of software running on the same router.

I think that you could say that although the R7000 hardware is capable of 1Gbps throughput, the firmware running on the router will determine the actual real-life throughput *smile*...
Message 10 of 20
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Whilst the router is fast, potential users should be aware that IPv4 NAT routing throughput tops out at 450Mbit on latest Netgear stock firmware, and at 360Mbit on DD-WRT with default configuration (no overclocking), or 425Mbit with a 20% overclock.
Post #1 does refer to both firmware types.
JokerPower
Aspirant

Babylon5 wrote:
Post #1 does refer to both firmware types.

Yes, and that's the problem. Anyone here with +500 Mbps?
Message 12 of 20
01R
Luminary
Luminary

JokerPower wrote:
Yes, and that's the problem. Anyone here with +500 Mbps?

does this mean that this router will slow b crap out with twc ultimate 300 ?
Message 13 of 20
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Keep in mind that there are some settings that won't allow CTF to be used on the stock Netgear firmware. For example, QoS typically disables CTF, so if you have QoS on, you're limited to the previously cited speeds. Another one is "per-IP" traffic monitoring, which I'm not sure that the R7000 has, since I haven't looked for it specifically. I don't know which settings for the R7000 turn off CTF, since it isn't something that I've had an opportunity to explore, but if smallnetbuilder's reviewer says that he can get that speed, then I believe him.

I understand that the latest firmware releases are being discussed, not the one used by the smallnetbuilder reviewer, but I do believe that Netgear would have tested that one. That isn't like one ISP's peculiarity, it's a general "CTF works" test.

Unfortunately, I can only speculate, since I don't have the download speed to test it here. Hopefully someone reading this has fast enough download speed that they can verify whether CTF works or not in the latest firmware releases. As I said, I'd be surprised if it didn't, but I've been surprised before.
Message 14 of 20
JokerPower
Aspirant

After reading some forums regarding R7000 problems with reaching gigabit, I think I will buy other product. Thanks for answer.
Message 15 of 20
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Bon voyage, good luck!
Message 16 of 20
Lestaticon
Aspirant

Just want to confirm that I'm able to get about 975 Mbps upload and download speeds on my R7000, using the stock firmware V1.0.4.28_1.1.64.
I've had higher and lower depending upon the time of day. Though not significantly lower.

I do have QoS disabled, as well as the feature to block sites by keywords.
Message 17 of 20
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Woo-hoo! Better late than never, I guess *smile*! Thanks, good to hear this.
Message 18 of 20
GrayWolf
Aspirant

In the "better late than never" category, I present my own addition to the thread regarding the router's capability with Netgear "stock" firmware on a Gigabit ISP connection:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4432832776

I've got my R7000 running V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 on it and just ran the above-listed speedtest.

For those who want to know the #s without clicking the link: 941.17Mbps Down by 933.49Mbps Up.

In short: The R7000 continues to prove itself to be a solid investment. Nice job, Netgear! Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 20
bbbf0621
Guide

Dont turn on traffic meter if you're using bandwidth >500Mbps http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=92104
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements