Good router for bridge-mode

shaunthesheep
Aspirant

Good router for bridge-mode

Hi,

I am newbie with networking so pardon any use of wrong terms. I need to buy a router for a competition and my intended use is to connect the router wirelessly to the public wifi, create a local wireless network, and then connect the team members laptops and a UAV. Basically, need the UAV and laptops on a private network with internet access and low latency would be appreciated. Price not really a big issue. From what I could find any router in bridge-mode should do this. Am I correct in thinking that? If yes what would be a good router for that? Would prefer if I don't have to flash any new firmware.

Message 1 of 5
duckware
Virtuoso

Re: Good router for bridge-mode

"wirelessly to the public wifi" -- Is the wifi really to good/strong that you think that will work.  At the location you will be add, can you connect via your phone and get the latency/performance you want.  If not, a bridge never will.

Anyway, one possibility (there are likely others).  Once router completely normal.  That is your LAN/WAN.  And the WAN port of that router plugged into another router configured as wireless bridge to the public wifi.

I worry about the performance of the public wifi for Internet.

Message 2 of 5
duckware
Virtuoso

Sorry, "That is your LAN/WAN" should have read "That is your LAN/WLAN".

I like the R7800

Message 3 of 5
shaunthesheep
Aspirant

Hey, thanks for the quick response. The speed of the internet is not an issue (just need it dnld code). Just need a local network to communicate with our drone and a fast connection there is preferred. Also someone suggested me to just use a travel router but I am not sure how good of a performance they offer, and whether we can get the same functionality from a normal router?
Otherwise the 2 router bridge setup sounds good.

Message 4 of 5
duckware
Virtuoso

Just curious (because I have no clue), does the UAV have a custom wireless datalink or is that wifi (does it 'go the distance'), and how to you prevent wifi contention/interferrence on competition day (only one team at a time?)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements