Re: Goodbye R8000P - I really wanted to love you, but you got to go.

damage31
Tutor

Goodbye R8000P - I really wanted to love you, but you got to go.

After purchasing a R8000P in November of 2017, its time for it to go. I'm going to purchase another manufacturers router, since I'm fairly disappointed with Netgear on their performance as far as support for this model of router goes.

Why am I ditching the R8000P? Specific reasons in priority order as as follows:

#1.) The 2.4ghz main wifi went out.

#2.) The VPN server was never stable. Never worked when I actually needed it without remotely rebooting the router. Whats the point of the feature if its not stable? 

#3.) Recently started requiring daily/bi-daily reboots for whatever reason. I've made no changes to my network in ~2 years of usage. 

While I want to think Netgear puts out a good product, there are just too many issues to overlook on this particular model. 

I find it dicsoncerting that a currently manufactured router STILL has significant firmware issues.

I work in software quality assurance, and its a disgrace what they put out for this thing that they call firmware. 

And for a router that still costs $229 (was ~$300 when I bought it, but you could get it on sale a bit less) you would expect a bit more quality than whats been delivered thus far. 

The ONLY saving grace is that I did buy an extended warranty when I bought this particular item, and I am now forced to make full use of that warranty through a 3rd party to cover for Netgears complete lack of support and lack of sufficient warranty for their customers. I'm used to routers lasting 10+ years. (funny thing: im currently back to using my Belkin PlayMax temporarily which is ANCIENT compared to the R8000P - whats that say about Netgear quality?)

I've seen way to many posts about this particular router having the SAME issues as me. I think I'm fairly forgiving, and I dealt with some of the issues early on and waited for firmware fixes. But I cant believe Netgear hasnt been able to get these issues fixed in the time that this item has been in production. 

But, as they say: money talks, BS walks. And I'm electing to take my money to a competitor. Free market is a funny thing like that...

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

NG puts out good products, but only on the hardware side. Its firmware is outsourced and written by a third party that does a horrible job and thus damages NG's reputation, but they don't seem to care much. The R8xxx line of routers has issues from the start. The R7000 used to be the go-to model but they messed it up too. If you want to stay with NG, get the R7800 which is the least troublesom model at the moment

if you want to go with another brand, ASUS is highly recommended (especially with RMerlin's custom firmware). Linksys is also a good choice. Stay away from TP-Link since they abandon most of their models pretty fast

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.89SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 5
myersw
Master

Totally agree with @microchip8 .

Netgear = good hardware but really bad firmware and does not seem to be getting any better. 

If you go to Linksys you will be going back to Belkin. Smiley Wink

If you go Asus make sure you can use RMerlin firmware on it. He does fixes and adds features depending on model.

Either one would be better then Netgear IMHO.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

Well, Belkin got bought by Foxconn. I do not know if this will make a difference. AFAIK, Linksys is (or used to be) a separate devision/brand that operated on its own under Belkin's ownership. Linksys makes decent hardware too (we have to thank them for bringing Linux to consumer routers and now all use Linux) and their firmware is certainly better than that of NG. I do not know how often they update it, though

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.89SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 5
grumpa43
Apprentice

I had the R8000 model and had continuous problems for over a year. I decided to "say farewell" and purchased the Asus RT-AC1900P as a replacement. I put the R8000 in Access Point mode (used exclusively for 5Ghz wireless connections), and have never been happier. The R8000 connections have been fast and flawless for over 6 months, and the RT-AC1900P functions better than the R8000 ever did - not a single disconnect (wired or wireless), lots of port forwarding, and my attached USB3 drives work perfectly. A complete night and day difference. Say farewell and move on.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E