Google Chrome Lags When In Games

Botsmokie
Aspirant

Google Chrome Lags When In Games

I have a nighthawk AC 3200 (X6 i believe??) and it is directly connected to my desktop via a cat5e cable. My rated internet speeds float between 500Mbps down and 50 up to a gigabit down and 50 up when speed tested on local servers. I mainly use my computer to play online games and stream said games to friends. For some reason when I open a game any web browser I have up starts to lag which is not good due to the fact I use a second monitor to watch my streams health/chat and a third one for youtube videos(music). Does anybody know why this is happening and how I can fix it? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13
Botsmokie
Aspirant

Re: Google Chrome Lags When In Games

One thing i should also mention too is that when I use the browser that is part of the Steam overlay it does not lag at all. 

Message 2 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Do you have any reason to believe it's a networking problem?

Message 3 of 13
Botsmokie
Aspirant

It does not when happen when connected to the ISP provided modem/router unit and all of my wifi devices still maintain a good connection with no additional latency. Im a networking noob but when i started using the nighthawk this started happening. Ive tried enabling dynabimc QOS but that doesnt seem to help. 

Message 4 of 13
TheEther
Guru

With an Internet connection as fast as yours, Dynamic QoS will be more of a hindrance than a help, so turn it off.  You may have to reboot the router to ensure that it is disabled.

Did you put your modem into bridge mode?  If no, then you may have a double NAT setup, which isn't good for gaming.  You should either put it into bridge mode or convert your Nighthawk into an Access Point.  You can enable it at ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP.

Do you have any of the following features enabled?

• MAC address filtering
  • MAC address cloning
  • Traffic metering
  • Port forwarding/triggering
  • URL Keyword blocking
  • Block services

Any of these services will force the router to process traffic more slowly.  For people with Gigabit speed Internet service, the performance impact can be noticeable.  Disable all of them and reboot the router for minimum latency.

Message 5 of 13
Botsmokie
Aspirant

I am pretty sure the modem is in bridge mode (that is when you turn the wifi off right??)

I just disabled dynamic QoS, I have access control turned off (which should be mac adress filtering?), Im not sure where to find MAC address cloning, Traffic metering is off as well, I do not see an enable box on port forwarding/triggering so im assuming it is off, keyword blocking is set to never, and so is block services. 

I just did a quick test by launching the game H1Z1 while listening to a music video on youtube and it seems like the videos are no longer hanging up. Ill need to test my stream later this afternoon though to see if the main problem is fixed. I need to get food for my animals before any gaming today LOL. Thanks a tonne for the help BTW TheEther. I know my questions are probably really basic and stupid so I really do appreciate you taking your time to help me out. I know a lot about computer hardware but am a total networking beginner. 

Message 6 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Turning off Wi-Fi on the modem may not necessarily put the modem into bridge mode.  A tell-tale sign that the router is still enabled on the modem is to see if the Nighthawk's IP address on its WAN/Internet port is private.  Log into the Nighthawk and click on the Advanced tab.  The top right panel, labeled Internet Port, will show the IP address.  If the address looks like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.y.x.x, where y between 16 and 31, then it's a private address.

Message 7 of 13
Botsmokie
Aspirant

Thanks for the clarification. It does appear to be showing the full IP adress without any x.xx. For some reason youtube is now hanging up again 😞 

Message 8 of 13
TheEther
Guru

I didn't understand your point about the IP address.  Did you figure out if the Nighthawk's Internet/WAN is assigned with a private IP address?

Message 9 of 13
Botsmokie
Aspirant

The IP does not seem to be private it shows all the numbers. The twitch dashboard still lags heavily but when asking a few other streaming friends they have told me that they experience the same phenomenon. Im assuming it has something to do with Twitch and not my network. As for the youtube video it will hang up for a second or two now but then usually plays smoothly after that. With that being said I think everything is working as it should now. 

Message 10 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Sorry, you are misunderstanding me.  I wasn't asking whether the IP address was literally showing 'x'.  I was asking whether the IP address begins with any of those digits (e.g. 192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1, 172.16.3.4).  These are all examples of private addresses.  Does that make sense?

Message 11 of 13
Botsmokie
Aspirant

Ahh my mistake. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The IP does indeed start with 192.168. My ISP provided unit is made by Hitron but I am not sure which one it is. I will do some hunting on google to find out how to set it up properly with the new router. 

Message 12 of 13
Botsmokie
Aspirant

sorry for the delayed reply I have gotten quite ill over the past few days. So after setting my gateway to bridge mode it seems like on most games it no longer has the issue but for some reason with H1Z1 specifically it is almost always slow on the browsers on my second and third monitors. I am now starting to think that the issue is something with this game specifically. Probably due to the fact that it is in Alpha right now. Anyways many thanks for the assistance. I do appreciate it very much. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E