Google Fiber setup for Nighthawk and Extender

joeofjoe
Aspirant

Google Fiber setup for Nighthawk and Extender

I recently had Google Fiber installed.  I have my R7900P set to AP mode and directly connect to the GF Network Box via the LAN port on the NightHawk.  I also have a X6S Mesh Range Extender connected wirelessly to extend my wifi to the top floors of the house.  I am having serious reliability issues.  wifi is constantly failing to connect to the internet.  I recently added a Hue hub and had to restart the extender so it would revert to a GF Network Box IP...and then again with an echo.  Got home today and my cell phone connected to wifi, but no internet until i restarted both nighthawk devices.  As much as I like the GF, this network setup is getting old, and of course they don't make mesh extenders for the GF Network Box and they don't have a bridge mode setting either.  The access point setup is not reliable or I must be missing something.  Any help is appreciated.  GF NB wifi is turned off.

Thanks in advance.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Luminary

Re: Google Fiber setup for Nighthawk and Extender

A couple of suggestions for you.  Your original post is not clear.  Look at the manual for your router and get your terminology correct.  It shows four output ethernet connections for your LAN (local area network) and it shows one input connection point labeled internet and it should be yellow in color. 

Power down both your router and your fiber network box.  Make certain your one ethernet cable between your network box and your router is good.  Swap it out with another cable if necessary.  Usually the network boxes have only one ethernet output.  In some cases I have seen where they have to be turned on in in the setup configuration in order to receive output.  Power up your network box and give it ample time to fully boot up.  Then power up your router.  Make sure the Wi-Fi from your fiber network box is disabled.

What is the physical spacing between the fiber network box and your router?  Reply to let us know what happened.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
joeofjoe
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the confusion, yes I meant Internet Port.  I have noticed some routers require you to use the LAN ports when being used as an access point, so I was trying to be specific and typed it backwards.  I have replaced my ethernet cables.  I've run a new 50' Cat6 from my GF Network Box (using one of 4 LAN ports) to the Nighthawk router (Internet Port)...that connection is solid.  Even when I have these intermittent wifi issues, my xbox connected to the Nighthawk via ethernet is good.  Wi-Fi on GF NB is off.

One thing i noticed is when i connected a Philips Hue hub to the LAN on the Nighthawk Extender, it did not connect to the internet.  I went in and checked the IP address, all other devices had 192.x as expected and the hub had an IP that started with 268.x or something.  After a restart of the Extender it had a 192.x IP and internet connection.

Even though i have the Nighthawk set to AP mode and the Nighthawk Extender in its typical configuration of just mirroring the Nighthawk Router, something still seems to want to assign IP's other than the GF NB or something else is happening.  I don't want to have to keep running throught the house restarting in order all of my devices when Wi-Fi stops working right.

Unfortunately, I am trying to work around GF not having Bridge Mode and preventing double NAT.  I'll keep reading through the manual, but I haven't found any settings I've missed yet.

Thanks again for the help.

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Luminary

I have helped setup a couple of FIOS fiber terminal boxes.  They had one coax and one ethernet output and no means for the end user to configure any of the options.  The user had to call in to network support to find out what the options were and to get options changed.

It sounds like you are running into firmware issues with this router just like with many other Netgear routers.  I have not been around one of the Netgear extenders.  They may have firmware issues also.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements