Google Fiber

Lendari
Tutor

Google Fiber

So I am checking to see if a Nighthawk R7000 router can use Google Fiber without their black box routing device. Here is what I've been told.

1. Interface configuration is via DHCP.

2. Traffic in/out of the wall jack is vlan tagged with vlan2.
3. DHCP traffic should have 802.1p bit = 2
4. IGMP traffic should have 802.1p bit = 6
5. All other internet traffic 802.1p bit = 3

It sounds like the stock firmware is known to be faster at routing than DD-WRT because it has proprietary hardware acceleration drivers in it. What I want to know is if the stock R7000 firmware can do the necessary 802.11q vlan tagging and 802.1p on the WAN interface?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Google Fiber

I think you mean 802.1p traffic classes, not "bit=".

But I believe the answer to your question is no.  You could work around the vlan tagging with a smartswitch between the internet connection and the Nighthawk, but I believe the 802.1p traffic classes might still be a problem.  So I think you will still need their network box.

Message 2 of 5
Lendari
Tutor

Well for sure the DD-WRT firmware allows vlan tagging. I am less sure about the 802.1p stuff.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Lendari wrote:

Well for sure the DD-WRT firmware allows vlan tagging...

Agreed, but you were asking specifically about stock firmware.  Some switches support 802.1p, but I don't think a layer-2 switch can fill in traffic classes for layer-3 traffic.  DD-WRT might be able able to do that with traffic that it generates.

There are other posts out there (other places) where people are saying that trying to use their own router cost them Google TV services.  That sounds similar to my situation with Verizon Fios. 

Message 4 of 5
Lendari
Tutor

Yeah. I'm not using their TV service, just internet, but I've seen the posts as well.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E