Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Guest Network: 2.4GHz/5GHz ... same SSID?

For your main network you can list the SSID as the same thing for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Is there a reason you can't list your Guest Network with the 2.4GHz/5GHz with the same SSID?
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Guest Network: 2.4GHz/5GHz ... same SSID?

Having the same SSID on 2.4 and 5 GHz is not recommended. I would imagine the same extends to the Guest Network.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Apprentice

I suppose it could be done. No harm in trying, although I can't understand why someone would the same SSID.
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

The same SSID for both gives the device the option to choose what's best for it at that given moment (2.4 vs. 5ghz) ... similar in idea to the "implicit beamforming" that's suppose to be coming on an upcoming firmware update for the R7000. There's good reason to want the same SSID for both 2.4/5GHz networks.

This is allowed for the main network, but anyone know why the Guest Network isn't allowed to have the same as well?
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would use the WIFI card setup options which say connect to a more preferred network to make that choice.

I use two AC routers the second is set as AP. SSID and security is the same on 5g AC @1300 I can roam But the connection rate or signal has to drop so low before it switches to other AP I end up manually disconnecting and reconnecting to attach to stronger AP.

If I added 2.4 and guest using same SSID as the 5g I could only imagine what a nightmare it would cause.

The guest has an option to isolate wired from wireless. if these are the same that option (VLAN) wouldn't work, is my guess.
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Luminary

It's one thing to roam on the same band and even that can have issues, it's worse roaming between bands.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No Kidding!
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Good practice to use different SSID
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 8