Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest Network issue

perseid
Aspirant

Guest Network issue

Hi all, when enabling the Guest Network, the Guest SSID is visible and devices are able to connect properly, but the problem is that the connection is not stable, it suffers frequent interruptions. Those same devices are able to connect to the router's main network and connection is very stable (no interruptions). Any suggestions to make the Guest Network work properly? Thanks

(Running latest 1.0.2.20 firmware in Nighthawk R7800 X4S AC2600 Router)

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
perseid
Aspirant

@perseid wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@perseid wrote:
Maybe it has conflicts when it finds same SSID from a neighbor?

That was what I was thinking. 

I'm almost sure that this is not the issue since I haven't seen any SSID name like that in my neighborhood, but I will try a custom name just to discard this possibility. Will report back, thanks.

I tested the Guest network with a custom SSID and apparently the connection is stable now. Seems that the SSID name was the culprit. WIll let the testing a few more days and if stable will mark your reply as the solution. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
doraemon
Prodigy

Start by changing the channel. Is it on both bands on guest network? I don't think that there's something more you can do aside from changing the channel and using a different firmware.

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@doraemon wrote:

Start by changing the channel. Is it on both bands on guest network? I don't think that there's something more you can do aside from changing the channel and using a different firmware.

It's worth a try, but the channels used for guest are the same ones that are used on the (stable) main network.

Is this happening in both bands?  Is the SSID being broadcast?

Message 3 of 11
perseid
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies. Yes, as Stephen says I assume that the Guest network picks up the same settings as those used for the main (stable) network, so nothing changed there. Yes, the SSID is being broadcast in the Guest network, and the issue is happening in both bands (2.4 and 5).

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@perseid wrote:

Thanks for your replies. Yes, as Stephen says I assume that the Guest network picks up the same settings as those used for the main (stable) network, so nothing changed there. Yes, the SSID is being broadcast in the Guest network, and the issue is happening in both bands (2.4 and 5).

The guest networks use the same radio as the main network, and the network path to the internet is also identical.  So it's hard to figure what could disrupt guest connection, but not the main connection.  Do you have the same security configuration for guest as main?  If not, perhaps try setting them the same way as a test.

Message 5 of 11
perseid
Aspirant

Yes, I have the same security configuration for the Guest as main (WPA2, etc), the only difference is the password which for the guest I set a different one than that used for the main, but it shouldn't be a reason for guest network instability.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@perseid wrote:

Yes, I have the same security configuration for the Guest as main (WPA2, etc), the only difference is the password which for the guest I set a different one than that used for the main, but it shouldn't be a reason for guest network instability.

I agree.

Are you using the default guest SSIDs?  If so, you might try changing them. 

Message 7 of 11
perseid
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@perseid wrote:

I agree.

Are you using the default guest SSIDs?  If so, you might try changing them. 

Yes, I'm using the default guest SSIDs (I believe "NETGEAR-GUEST" and "NETGEAR-5 GUEST" or something like that). For the main network I always set the SSID to a custom name. Ok, so I will change the Guest SSID's and report back on the results. I wonder why an SSID name would affect stability of the connection? Maybe it has conflicts when it finds same SSID from a neighbor? Thanks

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@perseid wrote:

Message 9 of 11
perseid
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@perseid wrote:

I'm almost sure that this is not the issue since I haven't seen any SSID name like that in my neighborhood, but I will try a custom name just to discard this possibility. Will report back, thanks.

Message 10 of 11
perseid
Aspirant

@perseid wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@perseid wrote:

I tested the Guest network with a custom SSID and apparently the connection is stable now. Seems that the SSID name was the culprit. WIll let the testing a few more days and if stable will mark your reply as the solution. Thanks.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7