Guest network issues

Guest network issues

Hi,

I am having issues getting the guest network working on the latest firmware (1.0.3.68_1.1.31). In summary if I enable the guest network on the 2.4Ghz band then either both the guest and main network become inaccessible on the 2.4Ghz band right away or they both work for a while and then eventually become inaccessible. By inaccessible I mean that the SSIDs disappear from any network scans and no 2.4Ghz clients can connect. If I access the router management page it shows that the 2.4Ghz band status is normal (it thinks both guest and main are up and running normally).

I should point out that the even though the 2.4Ghz band is inaccessible, the LED indicator light for the 2.4Ghz band remains lit. Also if I disable the guest network on the 2.4Ghz band then the main 2.4Ghz SSID works normally (clients can see the SSID in scans and can connect normally). Also I have not tried any other firmware since I upgraded the router to the latest directly after pruchase (seemed like a good idea at the time).

I did open a ticket but the support representative indicated that this was the the first he had heard of the issue. He provided links to the usual "reboot your router and try again" but being computer savvy I had already done all of that of course and thus the support ticket response was not of much help.

Has anyone on the forum has seen this issue or have a suggestion for a workaround or fix?

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 4

Re: Guest network issues

Factory reset your router and reflash the firmware. Enabling one or more of the radios, on primary or Guest networks should not cause any connectivity issues. Test after reflashing with default settings, do not change SSID, channel or mode. After this, you can investigate, changing the channels if your are in a congested environment, and the mode if you are using adapters capable of the bandwidth. Start here and report back... there are plenty of us here with enough experience to help with next steps.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 4

Will try your suggestions Thanks
Message 3 of 4

Update:

I didn't reflash the firmware (yet) but what I did do was to enable the guest network on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands (previously I was only enabling guest on the 2.4Ghz band). Then I did a cold boot using the on/off button. So far both guest and main networks have been up for a day with no issues.

Cheers
DM
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements